spending over time report broken

TravelingRaeTravelingRae Member
edited December 2018 in Reports (Mac)
I'm running the latest version of Q19 for Mac. When I pulled the spending over time report, it will only show me one currency. When I select the other currencies in the dropdown menu, nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong or have I found yet another useless report? I'm getting tired of having to export my data to Excel to get meaningful info from it. :(

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am not familiar with the currency dropdown menu but I do know that QMac does NOT have true multi-currency support yet. All it supports is setting currencies in account registers, converting account balances to the home currency in the sidebar and allowing recording of exchange rate for a transaction on initial entry. 

Beyond that, QMac does not track conversion rates nor perform any currency conversions in investments or on reports. 

You can add your VOTE to Add true multi-currency conversion support.

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Report Related Features and the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • TravelingRaeTravelingRae Member
    edited October 2018

I am not familiar with the currency dropdown menu but I do know that QMac does NOT have true multi-currency support yet. All it supports is setting currencies in account registers, converting account balances to the home currency in the sidebar and allowing recording of exchange rate for a transaction on initial entry. 

Beyond that, QMac does not track conversion rates nor perform any currency conversions in investments or on reports. 

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Report Related Features and the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

The way that Quicken for Mac handles multiple currencies with the unlinked transfers is the reason I put up with all its other flaws. They'll lose me as a customer if they change anything. I don't want the app converting anything for me or downloading exchange rates that don't reflect reality. All I want is to see my three budgets in one file, which this does. I am just increasingly frustrated that the reports don't work as advertised and that I can't switch between my three budgets the way I can in other screens.

I am not liking your response as it has nothing to do with my question.
    edited October 2018

First

Your VOTES matter!

Then please clarify what it is you are asking because I do not know what you are expecting to happen when you select a different currency. And you OP makes no mention of budgets either.

What is it that you believe was advertised about reports that Quicken is not currently doing?

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited October 2018

First

Your VOTES matter!

edited October 2018

First

Your VOTES matter!

In my original post, I used the word "currency" when I probably should have used "budget."
    edited October 2018

First

Your VOTES matter!

Budget or report, well, my original reply then still applies. It seems the drop down menu simply serves as a label and nothing more at this time, though it could be argued that there is a bug in that at the very least it should replace the currency symbol. The report is not broken otherwise.

There just is not true multi-currency support. All you can do at the moment is add your vote then wait. 

edited October 2018

First

Your VOTES matter!

The other reports with that drop down menu work as expected (account summary, net worth over time). If it can work there, it should work with Spending Over Time or the report should be fixed to work like the other reports where you get a breakdown by budget (Category summary attached as example)image. The fact that it is the only report that does not report all three of my budgets is the evidence that it is a bug.
    edited October 2018

First

Your VOTES matter!

Are you saying that the currency gets converted on those reports or just the currency symbol?

edited October 2018

First

Your VOTES matter!

These are three separate budgets/accounts, one for each currency. Nothing gets converted, which is exactly why Quicken for Mac works for me. On the reports that work, all three screens present me with different numbers that are independent of each other outside of unlinked transfers made between them. Under each budget are the accounts I hold in that currency and then all the transactions linked to those accounts.

In the old Quicken and other personal finance apps, I had to have three different files, one for each currency's budget. I'd then have to work in one, close it, open the next, work in it, and so on. Quicken for Mac lets me have all three in one file and in most screens lets me see a breakdown by each budget or it lets me flip between each budget. The left-hand sidebar is the only place I can see all three budgets at once as it breaks down all my accounts, but, again, it keeps them in their proper currency.

Maybe an Excel analogy will help: my Quicken file is like a workbook. Each budget is a sheet/tab in that workbook. All other reports either let me switch between my sheets or let's me see all my sheets on one screen. This report is broken because it only lets me see one of three sheets in my workbook.
    edited October 2018

First

Your VOTES matter!

I think your use of the word budget is what is throwing me because this is a report, not a budget. But if I re-read your comments I think what you are saying is that this report does not pull up and separate transactions of different currencies on the same report, like the Category Summary example you provided, but that you are expecting that currency drop down menu on the Spending Over Time report would pull up the transactions associated with that currency, in similar fashion as the Category Summary Report.

If that is correct, I cannot speak to why the report has a different layout but it works differently as he layout is different. And I am unsure if the intent of the design of the drop down menu is to achieve what you are looking for, though I see why you would expect it.

I would use the Report a Problem menu under the Help menu to report this though you will not get any feedback on it via that route. You could contact support and they may report the issue... and you may be able to get follow-up to see if this is a bug or not and if so, if it can get fixed. 

This discussion has been closed.