Make "Split Transaction" smarter by auto-adding rows

For many years, maybe since the beginning, "Split Transaction" starts off with 30 rows/lines.  If you use all 30, and still have remaining lines to add, you must manually click the button to "Add Lines."  How about making the Split Transaction window smart enough to automatically add additional lines, 5 at a time, automatically, if there is still remaining balance by the time we entered data on the last line?
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    May I ask why do you need a lot of split lines? If you are splitting a credit card statement you are doing it the wrong way.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Just out of curiosity ... what kind of a transaction are you entering that would require 30 or more Split lines?
    (I'm hoping you are not entering individual credit card transactions into the "Pay my credit card" transaction in your checking account ... that would not be a good way of doing that ...)

I remember another post from several years ago where someone was recording a Split transaction where all Splits were recorded against the same category. After recording 38 Split lines, all to the same category, Quicken crashed. I do not recall if that particular issue was ever resolved. Beware!
  • edited October 2018
    OK UKR and VolvoGirl, yes I am splitting a credit card statement into individual transactions.  If this is not the proper way to do this, what is the proper way?  UKR, I am not recording to the same category, the transactions go to different categories like "food, gasoline, clothes, etc."
  • edited October 2018
    volvogirl said:

May I ask why do you need a lot of split lines? If you are splitting a credit card statement you are doing it the wrong way.

OK UKR and VolvoGirl, yes I am splitting a credit card statement into individual transactions.  If this is not the proper way to do this, what is the proper way?  UKR, I am not recording to the same category, the transactions go to different categories like "food, gasoline, clothes, etc."
  • edited October 2018
    UKR said:

Just out of curiosity ... what kind of a transaction are you entering that would require 30 or more Split lines?
    (I'm hoping you are not entering individual credit card transactions into the "Pay my credit card" transaction in your checking account ... that would not be a good way of doing that ...)

I remember another post from several years ago where someone was recording a Split transaction where all Splits were recorded against the same category. After recording 38 Split lines, all to the same category, Quicken crashed. I do not recall if that particular issue was ever resolved. Beware!

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Just in case you are doing it the wrong way,

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this... [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

I used to do it the wrong way for years! Then I wised up and now enter them properly. I would split my credit card payment into all the categories on one transaction in my checking account. And since I always pay more than the bill I would need to figure the difference and put it to another category. But then I needed to have them entered on the date the charges actually happened. So I finally set up a credit card account. It makes it much easier to enter and balance!
  • edited October 2018
    volvogirl said:

Just in case you are doing it the wrong way,

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this... [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

I used to do it the wrong way for years! Then I wised up and now enter them properly. I would split my credit card payment into all the categories on one transaction in my checking account. And since I always pay more than the bill I would need to figure the difference and put it to another category. But then I needed to have them entered on the date the charges actually happened. So I finally set up a credit card account. It makes it much easier to enter and balance!

Thanks for the lesson!  I guess I've been doing it the "wrong way" for decades (since Quicken version 4).  I still want Quicken to consider enhancing the "Split Transaction" feature, however....
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    As to enhancing the Split Transaction window and make it grow automatically when additional lines are needed ... I think, that's a good idea. I'll VOTE for it.