Loan payment missing from register; cannot fix next payment date

I have a loan which has been set-up in Quicken since Sept. 2015.  I make a payment on the first of each month from my bank's bill pay system, and in Quicken I have the scheduled reminder set to automatically enter the transaction into the register on the due date.

When I was reconciling my October statement for the account that it gets paid from, I noticed that the payment was missing from the Quicken register (it was on the bank statement.)  I looked on the "Manage Manual Bills and Income" screen, and the transaction showed it was next due on 11/01.

The first issue is that I have no idea why this transaction was not entered into the register, but the next payment date was bumped to the following month.

The second issue is that I cannot fix the next payment date.  I can edit the reminder, and change the date to 10/01, but when I save the record it just goes back to 11/01 (no error or warning messages are displayed.)

When I first looked at the loan payment schedule, it was showing the 10/01 payment as a future payment (this was in the middle of October.)

I went into the Loan Details screen and re-saved the information, hoping that would fix the issue.  It did not, though it treated it as if it were an interest rate change.  Then I entered the 11/01 payment into the register (which had the correct principle and interest for the October payment), then edited the date from 11/01 to 10/01.  Now when I look at the Payment Schedule, I see this:

So now I've managed to push the 'missing' month from October to November, but cannot get the payment schedule back on track.

So I need to know 1) why was the scheduled payment not entered into the register, and 2) how do I fix this?

I'm on Quicken Premier R14.27 on Windows 10.

Comments

• GeoDoschGeoDosch Member
    edited October 2018
    This has now occurred on a second loan.  The situation is the same: the reminder from the loan was set to automatically be entered into the register.  For October, the transaction was not created, but the next payment date was bumped to November.  I entered it into the register and changed the date to October, but now the Payment Scheduled jumps from October to December.

I did run the file validation prior to first reporting this, and again just now.
  • Bongo63Bongo63 Member
    edited November 2018
    I am having a very similar problem, although the payment is NOT entered into the register automatically.  I too have a car loan that was setup in Quicken in 2015, and the payment details/schedule have been working fine with the reminder coming every month on time.  NOW for some reason, the regularly scheduled payment has been pushed THREE months into the future, and all attempts to adjust the payment date, loan details, etc. have not fixed the problem!.  Every time I make the payment manually, it pushes the next reminder another month into the future.  Bottom line is I never get a reminder as Quicken always thinks the next payment is 3 months from now!  C'mon Quicken, this should be an easy fix...!
  • BradBrad Member
    edited December 2018
    I am experiencing the same issue. I have a loan, which was setup just a few months ago that now has jumped a month for payment date. It was last paid in November for the Dec payment. The next payment skipped to February,  bypassing January. If i try to edit the next payment date - nothing happens.
  • Andrea SmithAndrea Smith Member
    edited January 12
    *Exactly* the same problem here, although this is with a brand spanking new mortgage.  I mis-typed the "next payment due" date as March instead of February when I set it up, and now it absolutely refuses to be changed back to February. And I'm using most recent version of Quicken Premier! Why has this not been addressed in MONTHS?!
  • Same issue here
  • It has been MONTHS since I reported this VERY CRITICAL issue, and have gone through many updates (I'm currently on R18.14 Build 27.1.18.14), and yet I have not even seen an acknowledgement of this problem.  I've gotten Quicken program updates where they're tweaking screens and trying to speed up parts, when the ABILITY FOR QUICKEN TO HANDLE A SIMPLE LOAN IS BROKEN!!!!!!  I've been lucky to this point, since some loans withdraw directly from my checking account, but unless I remember to manually make the entry each month (fixing the date that insists on being off by 1 month, no matter how many times I try to edit it) it would be easy to overdraw my account because that payment isn't reflected in the register.

Can someone from Quicken Support at very least poke their heads in here and let us know that they're aware of the problem?
  • Yesterday I spent over 2-1/2 hours on chat and phone with Quicken support.  They eventually acknowledged that this is a known issue (though I'm not sure if they had already known about it, or if they mean they know it now.)  There is no work-around for it, and it will require a release update for the fix.

I gave them the link to this thread, and said several times that they really need to post a message letting folks here know that they are aware of the problem and are working on it, though apparently they haven't done that yet.
  • fterwayfterway Member
    Anyone hear of any updates to this?  
  • MikeMike Member
    This problem is still occurring for me. Anybody found a workaround yet or heard about a fix coming?
  • vwbcvwbc Member
    Same issue here.  I missed a car payment because the reminder did not come up.  When I looked into the issue, I see a reminder for payment in April, but the one for March did not show.  I tried changing the next due date to March, saw it set for a few seconds, then it went away, then returned, and then finally reverted to April.

I've been using Quicken since 1987. I was forced to subscribe to the new version from Quicken 2016 (which works fine) and this problem crops up right away. I can no longer trust this product and have asked for a refund (still in the 30 day window).  I hate migrating away, but will not accept the lack of progress resolving this problem (I see this was first reported a year ago).

• I have the same problem with a loan that I set up in which I am loaning the money so it affects reverse loans too.  It is really irritating that it won't let you simply change the next payment due date.  I hope they fix this soon -- come on Quicken!
  • vwbcvwbc Member
    edited April 3
    vwbc said:
    Same issue here.  I missed a car payment because the reminder did not come up.  When I looked into the issue, I see a reminder for payment in April, but the one for March did not show.  I tried changing the next due date to March, saw it set for a few seconds, then it went away, then returned, and then finally reverted to April.

I've been using Quicken since 1987. I was forced to subscribe to the new version from Quicken 2016 (which works fine) and this problem crops up right away. I can no longer trust this product and have asked for a refund (still in the 30 day window).  I hate migrating away, but will not accept the lack of progress resolving this problem (I see this was first reported a year ago).

I requested and received a refund for the subscription.  I reinstalled Quicken 2016 and my reminders are back as they should be.  I really want Quicken to fix this so I can go back to the latest version and download transactions. I found another missed payment last night from March that posted to my checking account.  Very frustrating.  

I found it odd that when I requested the refund, there was no place to tell Quicken why I was dissatisfied.  I know it's a "no questions asked" trial period, but if a user wants to say why, that would seem to be good feedback. 
  • river-wearriver-wear Member
    edited April 7
    Same problem for the last several months on a loan that was set up a couple years ago and was working fine until the bug was introduced.  Does this company do any QA testing?  If you're going to let things stay broken then go back to quarterly (or less often) releases.  Quicken subscription is not good and I'm getting fed up.

BTW, I was actually able to fix the due date after MANY tries (don't remember specifically how I got the edit to "stick") but after entering another payment it broke again and I can't fix it.
  • river-wearriver-wear Member
    edited April 8
    After my tinkering, I can see now that the "Bills & Income" reminder says my next  payment is due July 1 (because I already entered the payment due 5/1), but if I click on the loan itself under "Property & Debt" the next payment due date shows 6/1 correctly.

My theory is that it MIGHT be correct when there hasn't been a payment entered in advance - so I will check after 5/1 and BEFORE I enter the payment due 6/1.  But it does mean the reminder page is useless now.

[removed - violation of community guidelines]
    Still no response from Quicken on this issue?  I see lots of members confirming the problem, but nothing official stating when (or IF) it will be fixed.  It's been over 6 months since I reported this problem, and it's a BIG problem!!!  This issue can cause users to miss loan payments, incur penalties, and hurt their credit ratings.

My subscription is up in a few days, and they want me to fork over more $$$$ to keep it current.  But they don't seem to have any desire to support the software.
  • psobilopsobilo Member
    edited May 4
    Find a prior transaction in the source register (not the loan register), copy it and paste it into the source register as a new transaction, then make corrections (date, split amounts, etc) and save it.  That should put things back on track.

Using the 2nd screenshot above, it would now show Payment 37 on 11/1/2018 and be greyed out; the next Future Payment 38 would be 12/1/2018 for the correct amount.  The split amounts currently shown for 12/1/2018 are the amounts to enter in the split transaction for 11/1/2018.

NOTE: this is a work-around, not a fix.

Windows 10  QW R18.16  Build 27.1.18.16
    @psobilo Thank you!  I tried your method on one of the two loans I have, both of which have this issue.  Currently the next payment in the Reminder list is showing the correct date, so it looks good so far.  I'll know for sure when next month rolls around.

The one I tried this on is a zero-interest loan, so I didn't need to deal with the interest calculation. I'm hoping that on the other loan it will continue to calculate the correct principle/interest split going forward.  That was just paid on 5/1, so I'm going to wait to see what happens to the other one before I try that.

I'm not sure how you figured this out as a work-around, but I'm glad you did!
  • psobilopsobilo Member
    I ran into the same issue and decided to restore my file onto my laptop so I could 'play'.  I printed out a transaction report for reference, then created a new loan.  When done, it showed a Balance Adjustment.  If you just enter payments in the Loan register, the Balance Adjustment will auto-correct, the payment schedule will show the payment, but it does not record them as Payment 1, Payment 2, etc.  The 1st payment shows as the next payment due.

I then entered new payments in my checking account for the correct past dates and noticed that they were showing up correctly as Payment 1, Payment 2, etc.  I continued entering payments to bring the loan current, but the payment schedule looks like the loan is paid off early, so I deleted all the manual entries I had entered into the Loan register. and the Loan has credit for all the payments and is in balance.

But now my checking account is out of whack, so I deleted the original loan, figuring that would delete all those payments and balance the checking account...but no, it just changes the Category to [Unspecified Category]. I had to go through the checking account register and manually delete all of those transactions.

End result: both the checking account and loan balance are where they should be.  I learned a bit, even if it was time consuming, and I was able to offer a solution that is quick, 'dirty', and resolves an immediate issue.  Its up to Quicken to provide a fix to avoid the situation in the future.
  • psobilopsobilo Member
    As long as the auto-enter in the register works, you should be okay.  If it fails again, you now have the work-around until Quicken identifies/addresses the issue,

I copied my data file to my laptop, created a new (duplicate) loan, then started entering transactions to see what would happen. After several hours, I could see the results and was able to delete the original loan and get everything back in balance between the loan and checkbook registers.

End result: You and others get the benefit of my troubleshooting, but that's what this forum is all about!  Enjoy!
  • Tried @psobilo approach of copying a previous entry and then modifying the entry and date.  I took a screenshot of my payment schedule before hand so i would know what the interest and principal payments should be.

So far that workaround has seemed to do the trick as my next payment due is correct now and all future payments are listed correctly.  Quicken is notorious for having these types of bugs come up and fixes taking YEARS to come out.  I've learned not to wait around for a fix.
    I've installed the R19.36 version, and this issue appears to be fixed!  I'll know for sure over the course of the next several weeks when the payments become due, but I am able to edit the next payment date, and they don't jump ahead a month after saving. :)