Loan payment missing from register; cannot fix next payment date

GeoDoschGeoDosch Member ✭✭
I have a loan which has been set-up in Quicken since Sept. 2015.  I make a payment on the first of each month from my bank's bill pay system, and in Quicken I have the scheduled reminder set to automatically enter the transaction into the register on the due date.

When I was reconciling my October statement for the account that it gets paid from, I noticed that the payment was missing from the Quicken register (it was on the bank statement.)  I looked on the "Manage Manual Bills and Income" screen, and the transaction showed it was next due on 11/01.

The first issue is that I have no idea why this transaction was not entered into the register, but the next payment date was bumped to the following month.

The second issue is that I cannot fix the next payment date.  I can edit the reminder, and change the date to 10/01, but when I save the record it just goes back to 11/01 (no error or warning messages are displayed.)

When I first looked at the loan payment schedule, it was showing the 10/01 payment as a future payment (this was in the middle of October.)

I went into the Loan Details screen and re-saved the information, hoping that would fix the issue.  It did not, though it treated it as if it were an interest rate change.  Then I entered the 11/01 payment into the register (which had the correct principle and interest for the October payment), then edited the date from 11/01 to 10/01.  Now when I look at the Payment Schedule, I see this:

So now I've managed to push the 'missing' month from October to November, but cannot get the payment schedule back on track.

So I need to know 1) why was the scheduled payment not entered into the register, and 2) how do I fix this?

I'm on Quicken Premier R14.27 on Windows 10.

Comments

• GeoDoschGeoDosch Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This has now occurred on a second loan.  The situation is the same: the reminder from the loan was set to automatically be entered into the register.  For October, the transaction was not created, but the next payment date was bumped to November.  I entered it into the register and changed the date to October, but now the Payment Scheduled jumps from October to December.

I did run the file validation prior to first reporting this, and again just now.
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)K.O. (Win-Premier) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18
    For my mortgages on or about the 2nd of the month I enter the loan payment for the following month.  So today (11/2/18) I go to each mortgage account, click the gear, and click Enter Loan Payment and try to enter the payment for 12/1/18 (which is the default next payment date). 

But today Quicken thinks the next due payment is 1/1/19. I confirm that the 12/1/18 payment has not already been entered into my checking account.  I go to my second mortgage and same thing.  Quicken thinks the next due payment is 1/1/19 when it should be 12/1/18.

So I pull up the payment schedule (see screenshot below) and the monthly payment schedule lists 9/1/18, 10/1/18, 11/1/18, 1/1/19 (note that 12/1/18 is missing).  For both mortgages it's the same (12/1/18 is missing).

So I pull up a backup file where the last payment to the mortgage in my checking account is 8/1/18.  In this file when I pull up the payment schedule (see screenshot below) and the payments listed are 6/1/18, 7/1/18, 8/1/18, 10/1/18, (note that 9/1/18) is missing.

Note that in live data file (1st screenshot) 9/1/18 is not missing but in the backup file (2nd screenshot) 9/1/18 is missing and in the backup file 12/1/18 is not missing but it is missing in the live file.

Something has happened in Quicken in the last 30 days (approximate days since I last entered mortgage payments) because when I entered the 11/1/18 mortgage payments on or about 10/2/18 Quicken correctly identified the next mortgage payment date as 11/1/18.  I do not want to enter any mortgage payments now and change the payment date because I fear it may do more damage to the payment schedule.

Your quick attendance to this issue is greatly appreciated.

ps. These loans are manual and not tied to a bank/download.

QWIN 27.1.15.16

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Were you intending to post this in the Lounge?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I don't have a mortgage payable but I do have a mortgage receivable ("Bank of Dad") and I looked at that payment schedule and nothing is missing.  I was looking to see if there was symmetry here.

QWIN 27.1.14.27

Is the running loan balance correct even with the missing payment.  If so that probably points to (another) display problem that apparently cropped up with the .15.xx updates.
    edited November 2018
    Tom Young said:

I don't have a mortgage payable but I do have a mortgage receivable ("Bank of Dad") and I looked at that payment schedule and nothing is missing.  I was looking to see if there was symmetry here.

QWIN 27.1.14.27

Is the running loan balance correct even with the missing payment.  If so that probably points to (another) display problem that apparently cropped up with the .15.xx updates.

Could be a display problem but I think it's not just that because what alerted me to it was when I went to make the next payment it showed 1/1/19 as the next payment date and not 12/1/18 so somehow it's not just displaying the wrong dates in the payment schedule but is having a problem w/ the current/next payment.
    edited November 2018
    Tom Young said:

QWIN 27.1.14.27

Have you considered reverting to a prior patch to see if a recent patch is causing the issue?
    edited November 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

Not knowing your loan setup details, and not seeing your payment schedule amounts, makes it difficult to tell whether a payment is actually missing, or whether the 12/1/2018 payment is now scheduled for 1/1/2019, or ....

I can reproduce a payment schedule that looks much like the one you displayed, though nothing in your problem description suggests you did anything to cause the change to your payment schedule. But perhaps knowing how to intentionally create what you're seeing might shed some light on how it could have happened unintentionally.

If the user modifies the Loan Payment Reminder "Due Next On" date to one, or more, due dates in the future; when trying to save that change, the user will be prompted with a message like this: "Quicken has calculated that the remaining principal for your loan as of mm/dd/yy should be nn,nnn.nn. Would you like to update your loan balance?".

If the user clicks the "Yes" button, Quicken adjusts the loan balance to reflect the amount of principal that would have been paid had the Due Next On date not been modified.

If the user clicks the "No" button, no adjustment to the loan balance is made.

After that Reminder Next Due On date change has completed, the Loan Payment Schedule will be modified to look like the one(s) you posted here. And if the user elected to accept the loan balance adjustment, there will be a transaction in the Loan account register with a Payee of "Balance Adjustment", a category of [Loan Account] (a transfer back into the loan account), and an amount equal to the amount of principal payments that were "skipped".

In my testing, when the Reminder Due Next On date has been advanced, the results can be backed out, and the loan status returned to its state before the change. Modifying the Loan Payment Reminder Due Next On date back to the true next due date restores the Loan Payment Schedule to its original contents. If a loan balance adjustment was made, that transaction can be manually deleted.

If it were me, I would:

_ Make a permanent backup of the Quicken .QDF file as it now stands (I would never "open" (or "restore") this backup)

_ Make a Quicken duplicate of your data (File > Save a copy as ..." to a temporary folder

_ Open the "Save a copy as" Copy in that temporary folder

_ Change the Next Due On date for the Loan Payment Reminder to the true next due date

_ Remove any loan register adjustment transaction, if present

Check to see that things are back to normal in the copy - you might even try entering a payment (or two). If things look good, you at least know you can recover. If/when you do that for real would be up to you.

[You could also create a New (test) Quicken file, setup your loan in that file, and play around with modifying Next Due On date and noting the results - then "undoing" the due date change(s).]

That still leaves no explanation for what caused the unwanted change in the first place - and I really have no idea.

Either before attempting the recovery of the loan in the Copy (from above), or after using Windows to copy the permanent backup (from above) to the Copy (from above) to get back to the un-recovered state: you could try Validating the Copy (and super-Validating, if Validate doesn't help). Note whether anything changes or whether Quicken reports any data problems. Since you're not going to keep the Copy, you could also try Validating/super-Validating after attempting the loan recovery, in case there is some data corruption that validate can identify.
    edited November 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

Not knowing your loan setup details, and not seeing your payment schedule amounts, makes it difficult to tell whether a payment is actually missing, or whether the 12/1/2018 payment is now scheduled for 1/1/2019, or ....

I can reproduce a payment schedule that looks much like the one you displayed, though nothing in your problem description suggests you did anything to cause the change to your payment schedule. But perhaps knowing how to intentionally create what you're seeing might shed some light on how it could have happened unintentionally.

If the user modifies the Loan Payment Reminder "Due Next On" date to one, or more, due dates in the future; when trying to save that change, the user will be prompted with a message like this: "Quicken has calculated that the remaining principal for your loan as of mm/dd/yy should be nn,nnn.nn. Would you like to update your loan balance?".

If the user clicks the "Yes" button, Quicken adjusts the loan balance to reflect the amount of principal that would have been paid had the Due Next On date not been modified.

If the user clicks the "No" button, no adjustment to the loan balance is made.

After that Reminder Next Due On date change has completed, the Loan Payment Schedule will be modified to look like the one(s) you posted here. And if the user elected to accept the loan balance adjustment, there will be a transaction in the Loan account register with a Payee of "Balance Adjustment", a category of [Loan Account] (a transfer back into the loan account), and an amount equal to the amount of principal payments that were "skipped".

In my testing, when the Reminder Due Next On date has been advanced, the results can be backed out, and the loan status returned to its state before the change. Modifying the Loan Payment Reminder Due Next On date back to the true next due date restores the Loan Payment Schedule to its original contents. If a loan balance adjustment was made, that transaction can be manually deleted.

If it were me, I would:

_ Make a permanent backup of the Quicken .QDF file as it now stands (I would never "open" (or "restore") this backup)

_ Make a Quicken duplicate of your data (File > Save a copy as ..." to a temporary folder

_ Open the "Save a copy as" Copy in that temporary folder

_ Change the Next Due On date for the Loan Payment Reminder to the true next due date

_ Remove any loan register adjustment transaction, if present

Check to see that things are back to normal in the copy - you might even try entering a payment (or two). If things look good, you at least know you can recover. If/when you do that for real would be up to you.

[You could also create a New (test) Quicken file, setup your loan in that file, and play around with modifying Next Due On date and noting the results - then "undoing" the due date change(s).]

That still leaves no explanation for what caused the unwanted change in the first place - and I really have no idea.

Either before attempting the recovery of the loan in the Copy (from above), or after using Windows to copy the permanent backup (from above) to the Copy (from above) to get back to the un-recovered state: you could try Validating the Copy (and super-Validating, if Validate doesn't help). Note whether anything changes or whether Quicken reports any data problems. Since you're not going to keep the Copy, you could also try Validating/super-Validating after attempting the loan recovery, in case there is some data corruption that validate can identify.

Thanks for the info.  I can assure nothing in my loan changed this month to cause this.  I've been doing the same process every month of entering the next month's payment.  And this is happening in both mortgage accounts I have.

Further, if I had done something I would have seen it back in September (the backup screenshot) and addressed it then.  But since I am just seeing the change in payment due date now, and when I go back to the backup it has the same problem when I assure you the 9/1, 10/1, and 11/1 payments were all entered w/o any manual changing of dates there is definitely a software problem that needs to be investigated.  It doesn't matter what the date of the backup is that I restore it shows the same problem for that next payment date.
    edited November 2018
    Tom Young said:

QWIN 27.1.14.27

UGH ... not yet, I was hoping Quicken would take a look at their software and maybe do some investigation first.  I dread uninstalling and reinstalling old software version by version.
    edited November 2018
    Tom Young said:

QWIN 27.1.14.27

Just curious. What happens if you set your computer date to 10/31? Also, are you using a linked biller for the payment?
    edited November 2018
    Tom Young said:

QWIN 27.1.14.27

No banks are linked to the account so it can't have anything to do with a FI changing things.  
    edited November 2018
    Tom Young said:

QWIN 27.1.14.27

You can have a linked biller without having an online enabled account.
  • Darrel MaltbyDarrel Maltby Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm having a similar issue but with many other entries that I've reconciled from other accounts since my last backup, I'm really hoping there's a way forward doesn't require going back.  In my case, it is a Mortgage with bi-weekly payments, and I entered the reminder for November 16.  The next one should be November 30, but it bounced directly to December 14.  I try to manually change the payment date and it shows temporarily but then bounces back to December 14.  It is affecting my projected balance charts.
    edited November 2018

I'm having a similar issue but with many other entries that I've reconciled from other accounts since my last backup, I'm really hoping there's a way forward doesn't require going back.  In my case, it is a Mortgage with bi-weekly payments, and I entered the reminder for November 16.  The next one should be November 30, but it bounced directly to December 14.  I try to manually change the payment date and it shows temporarily but then bounces back to December 14.  It is affecting my projected balance charts.

I tried going back to prior releases/patches and nothing helped.  I ended up going to a back up 2 months prior and downloaded/entered 2 months of data.  Needless to say after 6 hours of work doing that last night I'm a little grouchy today. :(
  • Jon BakerJon Baker Member
    edited November 2018
    Same issue is happening here.  I can't figure out how to make my December mortgage payment.  If I try to change the next payment due date to 12/1/18 it keeps changing it to 1/1/19

*Edit* I went ahead and paid my 1/1/19 payment on 12/1/18 just to see if that would help, now it shows my next payment is due 2/1/19.  If I go into the loan account and edit the monthly payment (on the bar across the top) I can see it change to the month I just updated and then immediately change to the next month.

*Edit 2* Well, while doing other stuff Quicken crashed on me today.  When I opened it back up, it allowed me to set my next mortgage payment to January.

Still, I have a vague recollection of this same thing happening last year.
  • DCU4LifeDCU4Life Member ✭✭
    edited January 4
    I've had the exact same issue the past several months on two different mortgage accounts. I thought I had resolved it by manually entering my mortgage payments last month directly in the register instead of using the reminder because nothing else I tried worked. I just queued up my payments due 12/1 (actually set them up to be paid through my bank, not connected to Quicken, on 11/29). When I entered the reminder and changed the default date from 12/1 to 11/29, Quicken set my next due date as 2/1/19 instead of 1/1/19.

This is incredibly frustrating since I've been managing these loans the same way in Quicken for years. Now I'm afraid I may miss a payment because I rely on my Quicken reminders to tell me what is due each month. Obviously something is broken!
  • Bongo63Bongo63 Member
    edited November 2018
    I am having a very similar problem, although the payment is NOT entered into the register automatically.  I too have a car loan that was setup in Quicken in 2015, and the payment details/schedule have been working fine with the reminder coming every month on time.  NOW for some reason, the regularly scheduled payment has been pushed THREE months into the future, and all attempts to adjust the payment date, loan details, etc. have not fixed the problem!.  Every time I make the payment manually, it pushes the next reminder another month into the future.  Bottom line is I never get a reminder as Quicken always thinks the next payment is 3 months from now!  C'mon Quicken, this should be an easy fix...!
  • Rick56Rick56 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    After doing a little testing, I found that the problem happened (at least for me) on 10/24/18. I backup everyday I am in the app. On 10/23/18 the next payment was Nov 1 as expected. When I restored 10/24/18, the next payment showed as Jan 1. This was the date that I had scheduled my Nov 1 payment (future payment at that time). I restored back to today's backup and I deleted the Nov payment. My Nov and Dec payments showed on the Bills reminder. I saved a "restore backup point" and then re-entered the Nov 1 payment and entered a future payment for Dec 1. The loan immediately told me the next payment was Feb 1 (skipping the Jan 1 payment). I restored my backup again and re-entered the Nov 1 payment for Nov 1 and entered the Dec 1 payment as if it was paid today (11/28). My next payment showed as Jan 1 as expected. I then changed the date on the payment to Dec 1 and my next payment stayed at Jan 1. As crazy as it sounds, it appears there is a problem with scheduling a payment for a future date. I have been doing future payments forever and this is the first time I remember having a problem. I hope this makes sense but you can respond and ask any questions you want about my troubleshooting process. Hope this helps.
    edited November 2018
    Rick56 said:

After doing a little testing, I found that the problem happened (at least for me) on 10/24/18. I backup everyday I am in the app. On 10/23/18 the next payment was Nov 1 as expected. When I restored 10/24/18, the next payment showed as Jan 1. This was the date that I had scheduled my Nov 1 payment (future payment at that time). I restored back to today's backup and I deleted the Nov payment. My Nov and Dec payments showed on the Bills reminder. I saved a "restore backup point" and then re-entered the Nov 1 payment and entered a future payment for Dec 1. The loan immediately told me the next payment was Feb 1 (skipping the Jan 1 payment). I restored my backup again and re-entered the Nov 1 payment for Nov 1 and entered the Dec 1 payment as if it was paid today (11/28). My next payment showed as Jan 1 as expected. I then changed the date on the payment to Dec 1 and my next payment stayed at Jan 1. As crazy as it sounds, it appears there is a problem with scheduling a payment for a future date. I have been doing future payments forever and this is the first time I remember having a problem. I hope this makes sense but you can respond and ask any questions you want about my troubleshooting process. Hope this helps.

Good info.  Thanks Rick.  Seems very consistent w/ what I did (entering future dated loan payment) but I didn't have all the backups as you did.  I will be interested to see when I enter the Jan 2019 payment in a few days if it again skips a month (i.e. listing March as next payment instead of Feb).
  • BradBrad Member
    edited December 2018
    I am experiencing the same issue. I have a loan, which was setup just a few months ago that now has jumped a month for payment date. It was last paid in November for the Dec payment. The next payment skipped to February,  bypassing January. If i try to edit the next payment date - nothing happens.
  • edited June 5

[removed]

The only thing that worked for me, trying it different ways (downloadable also, which is another mess w/ no transaction register) and I have reserved to continue to doing it manually:

On the 'Payment Details' tab > 'Edit Payment Details' > change the 'Next payment due' date to reflect the actual month needed.  Worked for me because my next payment date is 1/1/19

This seems to correct the missing month and I have entered the missing payment accordingly.

[removed]
  • Jon BakerJon Baker Member
    edited June 5

[removed]

The only thing that worked for me, trying it different ways (downloadable also, which is another mess w/ no transaction register) and I have reserved to continue to doing it manually:

On the 'Payment Details' tab > 'Edit Payment Details' > change the 'Next payment due' date to reflect the actual month needed.  Worked for me because my next payment date is 1/1/19

This seems to correct the missing month and I have entered the missing payment accordingly.

[removed]

I have been setting it manually but every month now it is skipping the next payment.  It is very frustrating because I live and die by the calendar view, which always makes it look like I have a lot more money than I do until I reset the mortgage due date.  If there was another financial software that has the calendar view (I haven't found one yet) I would definitely switch, especially now that I am locked in to paying for Quicken every year.
  • dougsandvigdougsandvig Member ✭✭
    edited June 5

[removed]

[removed]

I have the exact same issue.  When will Quicken stop blaming things on "corrupt data" and look for the programming bug this the root cause.  Have not found a workaround.
  • Andrea SmithAndrea Smith Member
    edited January 12
    *Exactly* the same problem here, although this is with a brand spanking new mortgage.  I mis-typed the "next payment due" date as March instead of February when I set it up, and now it absolutely refuses to be changed back to February. And I'm using most recent version of Quicken Premier! Why has this not been addressed in MONTHS?!
  • Jason TerryJason Terry Member
    edited January 13
    I have the exact same issue as described here.  It started on my mortgage payment.  If I go in and change the next scheduled payment date in loan details it still jumps a month ahead.  For example. 
    Next Payment should be 2/1/19 but it says 3/1/19. 
    If I go into the loan details and change the next scheduled payment to 2/1/19 right when I click save it still jumps to the 3/1/19 date.  
    However, if I go into loan payment details and change the next payment date to 2/2/19. it will take that and then is correct.  At least until I make the next payment then in jumps a month ahead again.
    Once it jumps ahead again I have to pick a different day of the month to get it to update correctly. since last time I changed it to the 2nd I have to pick the first next time I fix it every month.  and I have to jump back and forth each month.  
    Then after a couple of months on the mortgage, the same behavior started up on my installment loan as well.  
    This is a very critical issue as this messed with my budgets, projected balances, and not missing a payment.  

Looking at all the info in this thread it looks like a serious break in the software and needs to be corrected asap.   My file validates fine every time and there are multiple people with the same issue. 

I have been a Quicken users sense quicken 98.  I would hate to have to move to something else. 

• Evan RiveraEvan Rivera Member
    edited February 3
    Same issue here.  Only on loan payments, and only on certain ones.

I noticed that when I changed the "Due Next On" to be the correct next month payment, it would stay for a second, flicker, and then revert to the following month.  It seems there is some validation/rule running in the background that is rejecting my edit.

In an attempt to trick the rule, I changed "Due Next On" to a different day of the month (from the 1st to the 2nd).

This seems to have worked.  My edit stuck, and now my future payments list is correct.  I tried changing it back to the original date, to see if something had perhaps cleared, but it went back to skipping the month.

This works for me, since this is an automated transfer and logging it 1 day later makes no real difference.
  • Same issue here
    It has been MONTHS since I reported this VERY CRITICAL issue, and have gone through many updates (I'm currently on R18.14 Build 27.1.18.14), and yet I have not even seen an acknowledgement of this problem.  I've gotten Quicken program updates where they're tweaking screens and trying to speed up parts, when the ABILITY FOR QUICKEN TO HANDLE A SIMPLE LOAN IS BROKEN!!!!!!  I've been lucky to this point, since some loans withdraw directly from my checking account, but unless I remember to manually make the entry each month (fixing the date that insists on being off by 1 month, no matter how many times I try to edit it) it would be easy to overdraw my account because that payment isn't reflected in the register.

Can someone from Quicken Support at very least poke their heads in here and let us know that they're aware of the problem?
    Yesterday I spent over 2-1/2 hours on chat and phone with Quicken support.  They eventually acknowledged that this is a known issue (though I'm not sure if they had already known about it, or if they mean they know it now.)  There is no work-around for it, and it will require a release update for the fix.

I gave them the link to this thread, and said several times that they really need to post a message letting folks here know that they are aware of the problem and are working on it, though apparently they haven't done that yet.