slow performance on Q2019 investment transactions

It is averaging 14 seconds for a downloaded investment sale transaction to post

Comments

• John KettJohn Kett Member
    edited October 2018
    It appears your response time to pissed off long time customers is even slower than the response time in your new "2019 even faster" version of the software.  Looks like Moneydance is in my near future.
  • UKRUKR ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    How many securities do you have in your Security List?
    How many transactions are in your investment account register?

Please provide more
    details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if
    you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding
    16,000 transactions.

And I'd also like to
    see the "File Information" window 
    (See below)

Is any cloud backup
    software actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is
    running?

What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g.
    C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how
    many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:

- Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you
    have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of
    Transactions".

If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at
    the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of
    Transactions" to add the column.

- Click Help in the
    Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box.
    Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it
    here.

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or
    GIF.

To attach the image
    here, start composing your response. At the bottom of the text entry window
    you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera
    icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select and upload the
    captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at
    wherever the cursor is located in the text.

edited October 2018
    I have 10 different investment accounts.  The largest one has 2,259 transactions.  I archived all the transactions older than 2 years.
    edited October 2018
    I recommend you run the file validation procedure I'm enclosing below, to see if that makes any difference.
    Also do check to make sure that none of your investment accounts has any pending "Placeholder transactions" hanging around. Review and resolve those first.
    Finally, I'm also enclosing a writeup about housekeeping on the Memorized Payee List. Yours, with over 6000 entries, looks a little bloated.

Validate

Validate your
    Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file, skip directly to the last
    step.

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

Has your Memorized Payee List grown too big?

How many Memorized
    Payee List entries do you have in your file? A couple hundred? Several
    thousands?

Click Help in the
    Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll tell you in a File Information
    window.

To trim the list and
    keep it in shape please do this:

In Edit /
    Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill make sure you have a checkmark at

"Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months"

and set [xx] to something like "18". Do not set it to zero. IMHO, you
    should set the number to 12 or higher for best results, so that once-a-year
    payees don't vanish.

Restart Quicken for
    the change to take effect and housekeeping to clean up the Memorized Payee
    List.

Check the File
    Information box again to see the reduced count.

edited November 2018
    I waited a couple weeks to accumulate investment transactions to download.  They are now taking even longer.  This is untenable.  I downloaded the transactions from my broker.  When I try to accept them, it takes 27-30 seconds per transaction!  This is really disappointing that I am now paying an annual subscription for a product that is not performing
    edited November 2018
    By the way I went through all the steps you outlined above (file validation, reduce memorized payee)
    edited November 2018
    Another week goes by, another update from Quicken and the performance of Q 2019 continues to suck!  
    edited November 2018
    Do you have any Placeholder transactions in any of your investment account registers?
    If so, they need to be resolved / replaced with the correct missing buy / sell / reinvest etc. transaction.

Have you run Validate with the "Rebuild investing lots" option selected?

While Quicken is running, what else is running on your computer? Anything that's causing high disk I/O rates to your C:-drive? Anything that's causing memory shortages and high paging / swap rates? Anything that's using a lot of CPU cycles?
    edited December 2018
    nothing else is running.  It is a brand new HP. I will try the rebuild investing lots.  My frustration is I am only having problems since I upgraded to the new pay every year version.
  • GeoffGGeoffG ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    It sounds as if you download infrequently (couple of weeks) per your note.  Have/can you download daily regardless of activity?  When you say it's taken 14 seconds to "post" a transaction, does that mean from the download transaction screen below the investment register?  So you have several transactions to accept and each one takes ~14 seconds?  If not, can you describe a bit more detail what you are doing when you experience the latency?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    edited December 2018
    Yes that is correct. When I download the transactions and there is a sale transaction.  I can't automatically accept the transaction because i have to select which lots.  Is there a way to automatically just allow quicken to select the lots ?
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Unfortunately Quicken does not provide a way to have it apply a particular lot selection method automatically, with no user input. This capability has been requested many times, and many of the requests have been consolidated here
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/default-lot-identification
    You can add your vote to that request. That discussion also describes an AutoHotKey script you can use to automate the process. (AutoHotKey is a separate  add-on, not part of Quicken)

Is this your main problem, or are you also saying that it takes 14 seconds on average (or is it 27-30?) to process each sale after you specify which lots to sell?

-- Jim QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.