I'd like to suggest an enhancement to clean up the securities list

I'd like to suggest an improvement to clean up my securities list.  I have many securities that I no longer own.  I can't delete the security from my securities list because there are still transactions in my account register.  The series of transactions show buy and sell activity starting in 2010 and ending when all the share were sold in 2011.  Year end copy should be enhanced to delete all transaction for securites that had a number of shares equal to zero on the start of the year.  If I did a year end copy for 2018, then all transaction for securities that have a zero balance on 12/31/2017 can be deleted.  I've already paid income taxes, (either capital gain or loss), on those transactions.  There is no value in keeping transactions from years ago for securities that I no longer hold in my portfolio.
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You might try a new feature that is in the subscription version of Quicken (2018/2019).

If you go to an investment register and select the gear icon you will find Archive Transactions.
    What it does is move transactions from closed security lots to another account.
    After that you can just delete the new archive account.
  • EricEric Member
    edited December 2018
    Have you tried the "hide" option in the Security List window? 
  • edited October 2018
    Eric said:

Have you tried the "hide" option in the Security List window? 

I've tried the HIDE checkbox in the securities list and I have a number of calls that have expired long ago that I can't hide. So.....

a. It doesn't work
    b. I don't unstained how it works...... 

Probably the latter.

QW2016 Premier (All ready purchased a new subscription but being the cheap screw that I am I am waiting for 2016 to expire.)
  • edited October 2018
    QPW said:

You might try a new feature that is in the subscription version of Quicken (2018/2019).

If you go to an investment register and select the gear icon you will find Archive Transactions.

By chance is there a detailed listing of the new features of the new and improved product version?
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

If you go to Quicken Help and select the Contents tab, There is a What's new in Quicken link at the very bottom. This has one-line descriptions of the new features in each year's version.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Thanks... almost there.

I get "What's new and what's changed in Quicken 2016".
    That shows what's new in my version but doesn't tell me what is new in the current version nor make me salivate for an upgrade before my current version expires. 

Quicken 2016 Windows and MacApril 30, 2019
    .   ;-)
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

edited October 2018
    QPW said:

You can also see the release notes for current and previous versions here
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription...

but they tend to be cryptic

2019 press release is here
    https://www.quicken.com/content/quicken-2019-now-available

and you may find the comparison page helpful
    https://www.quicken.com/compare
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

And there are always several changes that are either not described well or not mentioned at all because Quicken Inc didn't think them worth bring up in the documentation.

For instance for the file names that are on the File menu.  If the data file no longer exists and you try to selected if from the File menu it will ask you if you want to remove it from that list.  So you don't have to edit an INI file to do this anymore.
    edited November 2018
    One benefit of keeping all those old transactions in your file is that you can use them to perform long-term performance measurements.

This will let you answer questions like "How did the performance of Account A compare to Account B over the past 10 years?"

I think archiving preserves all this history if you include both the active and the archive accounts in your analysis. But with only recent transactions in your active account, speed should be faster for everyday activities.

As always, do a backup before making a major change like archiving.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    For what it is worth.  My comment that you can do an archive and then delete the account to achieve removing the securities was to give a way to do what was requested.

But the deleting part isn't something I would personally recommend.  No more than I would recommend doing a year and copy.  I don't believe in deleting useful data.

And the way the archive works is pretty much what has been suggested for years.  And that is basically if an investment account is running really slow because of the number of securities/transactions creating an new account and moving only the current securities to it and using that account might speed it up.

But the archive and move functions do add some more flexibility into the mix.

The archive moves all the transactions that have to do with closed lots.
    The moving of transaction has two modes.
    One where it moves transactions taking into account the lots and not breaking them up.
    And one that is more "dangerous" that lets you move whatever transactions you like.
  • edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Thank you both.  Good info.  Looks like I've got a thing or two to look forward to.