Home Quicken for Mac Reports (Mac)

Need Quicken for Mac 2019 report to include $0 transactions

edited January 2019 in Reports (Mac)
I just transferred from Quicken for Windows to Quicken Deluxe 2019 Mac (version 5.8.1).  I enter a split transaction on my medical entries for mileage.  I enter amount of $0 but put the mileage in the memo column.  In Windows Quicken I was able to create a report of these transactions, export them to Excel and total them for taxes.  In the Mac version the category report doesn't show transactions with $0.  Any suggestions on how  I can get this info ?

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I used to do it that way but then you have to manually add up all the mileage, which if you have a lot can be a pain.

The way I do it now is I actually create a Mileage category and add the mileage in the Amount then enter a negative amount for the mileage on a split line with the account as the category. Then I can generate a report with just the mileage category and Quicken adds it all up for me. 

HTH.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Kathryn, you can easily do what you're looking to do -- without having to edit all your existing entries using the approach @smayer97 suggests -- if there is something in common in all the entries. For example, in the memo field for these transactions, do you always have "miles" or "mi."?

For the purposes of this example, I'm going to assume your memos include the word "miles". The key is that you want to Search instead of going to Reports.

First, click on the account you want in the left sidebar, or if these expenses appear in multiple accounts, click on an account group heading like Credit Cards or Cash or, to be most inclusive, Banking.

Next, make sure the Memo field is visible in this register; if it's not, add it by clicking on the Columns icon in the toolbar at the bottom, on the right.

Next, if you want to constrain your search to a time period, such as This Year, select the time period in the pulldown date filter.

Now, you'll use the Search box in the upper right. Click in that box. By default, it will be showing "Search all visible columns." That might be okay, but if what you're going to search for might appear in other fields (e.g. if you have any payees with "miles" in their name), you can click the tiny triangle to the right of the magnifying glass and select Memo/Notes to restrict your search to that field only. Now type "miles" in the Search box.

Quicken will quickly change your register to only show matching transactions: entries in This Year which have "miles" in the Memo/Notes field. Because your entries are in splits, and the register view doesn't show the splits, this might not seem at all useful. But it is, because now you can export your current register view to a .csv file by selecting File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV File. Open the resulting .csv file in Excel or Numbers, and each row will have its own split line. So now you can sort by the amount column for zero or blank dollar amounts, or by the category column for uncategorized lines, to quickly isolate your memo-only split lines with mileage notes.

The one real downside to Search instead of a report is that you can't save it so you can come back to run in the future. But assuming this isn't a report you need to run frequently, it's not too hard to set your filter and search when you need it.

QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited October 2018
    jacobs said:

Kathryn, you can easily do what you're looking to do -- without having to edit all your existing entries using the approach @smayer97 suggests -- if there is something in common in all the entries. For example, in the memo field for these transactions, do you always have "miles" or "mi."?

For the purposes of this example, I'm going to assume your memos include the word "miles". The key is that you want to Search instead of going to Reports.

First, click on the account you want in the left sidebar, or if these expenses appear in multiple accounts, click on an account group heading like Credit Cards or Cash or, to be most inclusive, Banking.

Next, make sure the Memo field is visible in this register; if it's not, add it by clicking on the Columns icon in the toolbar at the bottom, on the right.

Next, if you want to constrain your search to a time period, such as This Year, select the time period in the pulldown date filter.

Now, you'll use the Search box in the upper right. Click in that box. By default, it will be showing "Search all visible columns." That might be okay, but if what you're going to search for might appear in other fields (e.g. if you have any payees with "miles" in their name), you can click the tiny triangle to the right of the magnifying glass and select Memo/Notes to restrict your search to that field only. Now type "miles" in the Search box.

Quicken will quickly change your register to only show matching transactions: entries in This Year which have "miles" in the Memo/Notes field. Because your entries are in splits, and the register view doesn't show the splits, this might not seem at all useful. But it is, because now you can export your current register view to a .csv file by selecting File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV File. Open the resulting .csv file in Excel or Numbers, and each row will have its own split line. So now you can sort by the amount column for zero or blank dollar amounts, or by the category column for uncategorized lines, to quickly isolate your memo-only split lines with mileage notes.

The one real downside to Search instead of a report is that you can't save it so you can come back to run in the future. But assuming this isn't a report you need to run frequently, it's not too hard to set your filter and search when you need it.

Another shortcoming of the Search is that you cannot see or isolate the split lines that match within Quicken, as was alluded to. 

But this is a reasonable work-around in the short-term... you will have to decide moving forward into the new year and beyond how much work each approach is and weigh the benefits.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

edited October 2018
    jacobs said:

BTW, I find this to be a great omission in Quicken Reports, as there are many valid use cases to include these, as QM2007 and QWin do. 

You can add your VOTE to Add Ability to Include $0 (zero) Transactions in Reports.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Report Related Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

? Add your vote here:

(

• John_MJohn_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    One other possibility is to put in a transaction with two split lines for the same category, which add up to zero. For example, create an Auto:Mileage category, enter a split line for $1 with the mileage memo and then enter a split line for -$1. By doing this, I was able to get the transactions to show up in a report.
    edited October 2018
    jacobs said:

@smayer97, I suggested the approach above because Kathryn said she was looking for a way to get the results in a spreadsheet, so it wasn’t really necessary to see the individual line items within Quicken — only to get them out to be able to manipulate in the spreadsheet. And that approach doesn’t require going back to find and edit every existing transaction.

The thing that puzzled me about your suggestion is that you said you include the mileage in the Amount and then subtract it in a split line categorized for mileage. While that makes it easy to get a report of the mileage category, your transaction amounts are off. So you must be doing some other adjustment somewhere to get your checking and credit card accounts to their correct balances.

I’d combine your approach with the one suggested by @John M below. Create *two* new categories like Auto:Mileage and Auto:Mileage Offset. Enter the transaction Amount as the actual amount paid; enter a split with an Amount value that is the mileage traveled, categorized as Auto:Mileage; enter another split categorized as Auto:Mileage Offset with an Amount that is the negative of the mileage. The result is all your transactions are the actual amounts spent, and a Category report gives you the total mileage.
  • John_MJohn_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    jacobs said:

This makes sense. Having the actual mileage entered allows you to total the miles easily. The offset keeps net worth correct.

By the way, I do the same thing for the imputed income that is shown on my paycheck (I get taxed on the value of the premium for life insurance above $50,000, but this does not get added to my paycheck). I have an income category for Imputed Income and a corresponding income category for the offset (which gets a negative number). That way, my net pay remains unchanged, but I am able to total the imputed income for tax purposes.
    edited October 2018
    John M said:

One other possibility is to put in a transaction with two split lines for the same category, which add up to zero. For example, create an Auto:Mileage category, enter a split line for $1 with the mileage memo and then enter a split line for -$1. By doing this, I was able to get the transactions to show up in a report.

John, one change to your process would make it even better, as I noted in a comment above. Instead of using $1 and -$1 split lines to the same category, try it using two categories and recording the mileage at the amount for each split line.

So if you travel 30 miles to a doctor appointment for which you paid a $40 deductible, you'd have a transaction like this:
    Payee: Dr. Someone                    Amount: $40.00
      Split 1: Category: Medical           Amount: $40.00
      Split 2: Category: Auto:Mileage   Amount: $30.00
      Split 3: Category: Auto:Mileage Offset Amount: -$30.00
    This way, when you run a category report, the Auto:Mileage category total is your actual mileage total -- no need to read all the memos and total up the mileage amounts.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I just posted an idea:
    Make the Mileage Tracker module available in all Quicken editions, Windows and Mac, Deluxe and higher

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/make-mileage-tracking-available-in-all-quicken-e...

This module would allow you to record tax deductible mileage for medical, charity, etc. expenses separately from the regular doctor's bill, without the workarounds described above.
    Recorded mileage would automatically show up in tax-related reports and also transfer (export) to tax software.

If you support this idea and would like to see Quicken implement a solution, please VOTE on the Idea (go to the link above and click the VOTE button).
    edited October 2018
    jacobs said:

You can use an offset category. I choose not to use that but instead the offset amount in simply recorded as a transfer to the account that is being charged in the first place, e.g. if the mileage split of the transaction is in Visa account, the offset is simply a "transfer" to the Visa account, so no need for a separate category.

Both ways achieve the same result with no effect to the total of the transaction.

Alternatively, you can simply NOT use any category for the offset...I just prefer to not leave anything uncategorized.

? Add your vote here:

(

• edited October 2018
    Thank-you for all of your suggestions.  I have chosen to use the mileage = $$ with a mileage offset category.  This keeps the total medical $$ correct.  NOTE, the report type that I was using for my original question was Category  report.  When I used the Cash Flow report and selected the subgroup of Medical_Mileage, I get a listing of all entries and could export to spreadsheet.  I am going to go ahead and change my method so I can use Quicken to add the mileage and not have to export.
    edited October 2018

Thank-you for all of your suggestions.  I have chosen to use the mileage = $$ with a mileage offset category.  This keeps the total medical $$ correct.  NOTE, the report type that I was using for my original question was Category  report.  When I used the Cash Flow report and selected the subgroup of Medical_Mileage, I get a listing of all entries and could export to spreadsheet.  I am going to go ahead and change my method so I can use Quicken to add the mileage and not have to export.

Good choice. I know I am finding it much easier at tax time as a result. :-)

? Add your vote here:

(

• edited October 2018
    This can be closed now.  Thanks for all comments
This discussion has been closed.