One step update not working for Chase accounts. Error code OL-297-A

Quicken Deluxe 2018 Windows

Comments

• Aaron44126Aaron44126 Member
    edited October 2018
    Same issue here.  Glad to hear someone else has it, actually, I know there is not something wrong with my Quicken specifically.
  • aklausingaklausing Member
    edited October 2018
    Same issue for me. Updated to Build 27.1.14.27 last night and now getting error OL-297-A only on my Chase accounts
  • edited October 2018
    I have the same problem.  It started yesterday and continues today.
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • AlanAlan Member
    edited October 2018
    Same problem here. Looks like last connect was this past Saturday morning. Got the same error code. Just got off the phone with Chase. Chase agent said it’s a known problem today, but has no estimated time for when it will be fixed.

Suggest calling Chase online support to register a complaint that the service is down, but don’t change a thing in your program configuration regardless of what the support agent says.

I was in the middle of a deactivate/activate routine and everything stopped. Quicken first prompted for a validation code, then stopped with an error screen that said it could not connect to Quicken, only choice Quicken gives now is manual entries or add a new account.

• DCDC Member
    edited November 2018
    I just called Chase and the rep told me the issue is on Quicken's end. DOH!
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited October 2018
    DC said:

I just called Chase and the rep told me the issue is on Quicken's end. DOH!

Seems we're all dead in the water this morning with Chase. Either them or Quicken changed something during the last 24 hours. There's at least a couple more threads posting this same OL-297-A problem this morning.
  • BobBob Member
    edited October 2018
    Also having Chase problems and many other accounts not updating. From other posts looks like Quicken is having server issues. May be related to Chase issue to.
  • mass imomass imo Member
    edited October 2018
    All my accounts are doing this not just chase. Any ideas?

Edit. I turned off chase and not the others are working. Also One of my chase accounts did get updated after rebooting the pc. 

• B ZARKB ZARK Member
    edited October 2018
    it seems everyone is having a problem with Chase today .  error OL-297-A.  looked up on web. the only possibility, in my case was, Chase changed security protocols.    could be since no problem updating other FI's regardless of connection method.  However, it still could be Q problem,   really no sense calling since both C and Q have been advised. .   
  • Bob MaseBob Mase Member
    edited October 2018
    I am having the same issue, none of my Chase accounts are updating.  Error OL-297-A.  I have logged out of Quicken and back in, restarted the computer, downloaded the latest update as of 16:00 CDT on 10/22/-2018  currently running R14.27..

Any idea of when a resolution will be forth coming? 

Also noted that Quicken wont let me deactivate any of my Chase accounts either..   not sure if its related but its worth noteing.
  • edited October 2018
    I spoke with Quicken twice and Chase once. They are both saying it's the other party's problem...
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It is unlikely to be Quickens fault since it is Direct Connect

Known problem on Chase End

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-10-19-2018-chase-returning-ol-297-a-oops-its...
  • Noel TNoel T Member
    edited January 11
    Just got off the phone with Chase Quicken support, they say its a quicken issue, so not their problem. This finger pointing is complete BS. Chase says that Quicken has done this to force users to upgrade to a newer version of the Quicken software, even though support for Quicken 2016 runs through April 2019. Now what?
  • edited October 2018
    Time to switch to another program?

https://www.investopedia.com/articles...
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Just for the record I have absolute proof that the problem is with Chase.

From my connection log:
    Here is from the connection log:
    20181022 17:53:29: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx.chase.com
    20181022 17:53:51: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67186402
    20181022 17:53:51: Your Internet connection or the server has timed out. Try again now, or wait and try later.
    20181022 17:53:51: QFN: End send to https://ofx.chase.com, netstatus 36
    20181022 17:53:51: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx.chase.com
    20181022 17:54:33: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67186429
    20181022 17:54:33: A connection with the server could not be established.  Please make sure your Internet connection is working. Your web browser can be used to verify your connection. A personal firewall may be preven
    20181022 17:54:33: QFN: End send to https://ofx.chase.com, netstatus 36

Notice the suggestion to troubleshoot is to open the URL in a web browser.
    This is because the OFX standard/server is actually a web server with a special protocol.
    Any web browser should be able to make a connection to this server (can't do much after that, but the connection shouldn't fail).

Here is opening https://ofx.chase.com/ with Chrome (go ahead use whatever web browser you like):

If your web browser can't connect, neither can Quicken which is just using the same network protocols to connect.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Noel T said:

Just got off the phone with Chase Quicken support, they say its a quicken issue, so not their problem. This finger pointing is complete BS. Chase says that Quicken has done this to force users to upgrade to a newer version of the Quicken software, even though support for Quicken 2016 runs through April 2019. Now what?

QW2019 is having the same issue so it's not a version specific issue. QFX downloads are available from the Chase website in the interim until it is fixed.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Until Chase's Direct Connect server is available, I suggest you log into the Chase web site, download the available transactions and import the QFX file.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Just for the record I have absolute proof that the problem is with Chase.

From my connection log:
    Here is from the connection log:
    20181022 17:53:29: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx.chase.com
    20181022 17:53:51: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67186402
    20181022 17:53:51: Your Internet connection or the server has timed out. Try again now, or wait and try later.
    20181022 17:53:51: QFN: End send to https://ofx.chase.com, netstatus 36
    20181022 17:53:51: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx.chase.com
    20181022 17:54:33: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67186429
    20181022 17:54:33: A connection with the server could not be established.  Please make sure your Internet connection is working. Your web browser can be used to verify your connection. A personal firewall may be preven
    20181022 17:54:33: QFN: End send to https://ofx.chase.com, netstatus 36

Notice the suggestion to troubleshoot is to open the URL in a web browser.
    This is because the OFX standard/server is actually a web server with a special protocol.
    Any web browser should be able to make a connection to this server (can't do much after that, but the connection shouldn't fail).

Here is opening https://ofx.chase.com/ with Chrome (go ahead use whatever web browser you like):

If your web browser can't connect, neither can Quicken which is just using the same network protocols to connect.

BTW here is what it looks like when a web browser actually connects to a OFX server:

Here is using the USAA URL:

The thing to notice is that it did "connect" (no time out error).  It returned an error page because the Chrome web browser doesn't know the OFX protocol so it didn't send a valid request to the OFX server.  But that doesn't matter the test is to see if you can connect at all.

You can at USAA (and other financial institutions), but not at Chase.
  • AlanAlan Member
    edited October 2018

I have an update on this, as of a few hours ago. After I was caught in the middle of the deactivate/activate process/(badger game), I was able to re-establish the data link for all my Chase accounts. But the surprise came when I saw that Quicken marked those links with an “improve connection” notice and URL. I’m supposed to have Direct Connect (and may have paid for it at one time). But now all my Chase accounts are shown as “Express Web Connect” which is NOT what I ordered from Chase.

I called Chase online support and was told that my account has everything set up correctly for Direct Connect, there’s nothing more they can do, so speak with Quicken.

Quicken is also showing the wrong reconcile dates on all Chase accounts. I had all Chase accounts reconciled up to September, 2018, yet now checking and savings are showing as up to four months behind, and just as Quicken downloaded thousands of account transactions.

But it’s getting worse. I see that now Quicken has also marked all of my Citibank accounts with a similar “improve connection” link with a notice that the bank supports an improved connection method, and that I need to call Citibank to get it.

• AlanAlan Member
    edited October 2018
    Sherlock said:

Until Chase's Direct Connect server is available, I suggest you log into the Chase web site, download the available transactions and import the QFX file.

No. Not acceptable. I’m Quicken’s and Chase’s customer, not their employee. I pay for the privilege of having banking transactions downloaded before I need to work with them, for MY convenience. I want what I paid for.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Alan said:

I have an update on this, as of a few hours ago. After I was caught in the middle of the deactivate/activate process/(badger game), I was able to re-establish the data link for all my Chase accounts. But the surprise came when I saw that Quicken marked those links with an “improve connection” notice and URL. I’m supposed to have Direct Connect (and may have paid for it at one time). But now all my Chase accounts are shown as “Express Web Connect” which is NOT what I ordered from Chase.

I called Chase online support and was told that my account has everything set up correctly for Direct Connect, there’s nothing more they can do, so speak with Quicken.

Quicken is also showing the wrong reconcile dates on all Chase accounts. I had all Chase accounts reconciled up to September, 2018, yet now checking and savings are showing as up to four months behind, and just as Quicken downloaded thousands of account transactions.

But it’s getting worse. I see that now Quicken has also marked all of my Citibank accounts with a similar “improve connection” link with a notice that the bank supports an improved connection method, and that I need to call Citibank to get it.

Well in fact this is why when problems like this come up it is sometimes better to "leave it alone" until they have fixed it.

Direct Connect for Chase is down.  And is download because of a problem at Chase, no matter what they say, the proof is that nothing can connect to their OFX server.

When you went troubleshooting and deactivated your accounts, and Direct Connect is down, then the only possible thing Quicken could do is use Express Web Connect.

Note at Chase you don't pay for Direct Connect for personal accounts.

Now on the Citibank being Express Web Connect.  Except for credit cards I don't think they have Direct Connect any more.  They removed it about a year ago.

For credit cards use Citi Cards as the financial institution instead of Citibank to get Direct Connect.
  • dalehawaiidalehawaii Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Alan said:

I agree 100%, especially with the leave it alone strategy (based on my experience using Quicken since 1996). If you can wait, I recommend that you do just that. Express Web Connect is something I try to avoid if possible.

Also, I tend to make a backup after completing a successful reconciliation in case I need to revert. For example years ago I tried to use Express Web Connect vs Direct Connect to see the difference, and it didn’t go well. I was able to restore the backup that had the original Direct Connect setup which was useful in my case.

Hopefully Direct Connect will be fixed soon.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Alan said:

I recommend that you do just that. Express Web Connect is something I try to avoid if possible. 
    A better idea might be what Sherlock suggested above, and just use Web Connect/downloading/importing the QFX file until Direct Connect is fixed.
    edited October 2018
    Sherlock said:

Alan:  You do have what you paid for.  If you haven't already, I suggest you review Quicken's EULA.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • AlanAlan Member
    edited October 2018
    Alan said:

I’ve been using "Citi Cards" as the financial institution for a few years and, no, they don’t have direct connect. Only Express Web Connect. That’s what Quicken still shows. No choice. One problem with web connect is that Quicken doesn’t seem to detect duplicates, so I routinely see dupe payment records come through from Citibank. I just delete them.

But note that although Quicken uses “Citi Cards” for account access, the citicards.com web site appears to be partially or completely down. Some time ago I found I couldn’t log in to my Citibank accounts, as other people were posting on the web. In a Citibank support call that really felt like living an episode of Twilight Zone (not kidding), the Citibank support reps had no idea what I was talking about, even though the citicards.com web portal was not functioning. Solution was to instead use the Citibank.com web portal for credit card account web access.

edited October 2018
    Alan said:

Citi Cards supports the Direct Connect and Web Connect connection methods for credit card accounts and the Express Web Connect connection method for credit card and banking accounts.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Alan said:

• Steve WestonSteve Weston Member
    edited January 11
    This is a Chase issue.  Their OFX server is down.  Anyone can see that by trying to connect/ping https://ofx.chase.com/

QUICKEN SUPPORT, please do your thing and contact Chase through your contacts.  When customers call they assume everyone is a twit and tell us to reboot our computer or its a Quicken issue.
  • Douglas CampDouglas Camp Member
    edited October 2018
    Same issue here.
This discussion has been closed.