Home Quicken for Windows Installing and Updating (Windows)

Slow Load times

Mike SabotMike Sabot Member ✭✭
Quicken Premier 2019 v R14.27 Build 27.1.14.27   Slow Load times.  Has gotten so slow, that once I click on the icon to open,  I can go get a cup of coffee and still wait for the Initial home screen to show.  Nothing has changed on my PC but quicken update.  I open quicken get the following screen.  After a couple of minutes,  the Red logo disappears and after a couple of more minutes, the application will finally show.  Memory is not an issue,  data file size is smaller than many others I have seen.  No external syncing is used.  Just transaction download

Comments

• ericweinerericweiner Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I would say you have a system issue as it open up immediately for me.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to
    ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and, for older versions, possibly the
    required Intuit ID to Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 18.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 17.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 will be upgraded to 2019 when installing the R 14.23 * patch released
    10/8/2018

- 2019 ... Release R 14.27 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... all users should have been updated to 2018 already

- 2018 ... Release R 12.8 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

- 2019 ... not yet available

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already:

Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch
    file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when
    done with the above and try Quicken again.

2) Validate

Validate your
    Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file, skip directly to the last
    step.

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

- If that doesn't
    resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data
    file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first
    occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that
    does not exhibit these symptoms.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• B ZARKB ZARK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    do you have the same issue with other files and programs.  if so and if you have a mechanical drive,  check your free space, fragmentation level and check errors.  in my computer click on the drive, then properties then tools.   if a SSD do the same except for fragmentation.   check your computer for malware     if I'm reading your configuration correctly, you only have 2GB of memory which can be the cause if your running a lot if other software.  much software runs in the background.  at the same time press on alt, ctrl, delete. then click on task manager to see what's running under the process tab.    there should also be the % of physical memory that is currently being used.   
  • Mike SabotMike Sabot Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Just upgrade with new patch to R15.18.   Problem still exists.  This is the only program that suffers from this problem on my machine.   6 core CPU,  HD not taxed at all. imageimage
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Just upgrade with new patch to R15.18.   Problem still exists.  This is the only program that suffers from this problem on my machine.   6 core CPU,  HD not taxed at all. imageimage

Mike,
    your processor actually is a 4-core making use of virtualization, pretending to be an 8-core machine. But that's not the issue here.

Have you performed the tasks I asked you to do?
    Are you using Sync to Mobile? And are you actually using the Quicken Mobile app on your smartphone?
  • Mike SabotMike Sabot Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

I don't sync,  and none of the suggestions have paned out.  This only started with the 2019 update.
  • edited November 2018

Same problem for me with R15.18, build 27.1.15.18
  • Beijing MacBeijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Mike's first screen shot shows 120/120 securities / max.  I thought QWin has a 2000 maximum or allowable number for securities.  

https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file

Would this have an impact on load time?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Mike's first screen shot shows 120/120 securities / max.  I thought QWin has a 2000 maximum or allowable number for securities.  

https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file

Would this have an impact on load time?

So Mike has a total of 120 securities in his file ... no problem whatsoever.
    Ignore the 2nd "120" and "max" ... that's something the programmers added to see if there's structural damage in the file, when the 2nd number is much larger than the first.

As far as load time is concerned ... only the programmers would know what they have put into the startup portion of Quicken that impacts program load time. Stay tuned. Maybe the next patch release changes something ... I hope ... but don't hold your breath!
  • J McNamaraJ McNamara Member
    edited December 2018

Ditto on this issue.  Only started with 2019 update.  Takes forever to load and very slow executing menu items after initial launch. 
  • Same issue w/ 2019 15.18. Startup not too bad (2 core 24GB i3 thinkserver w/ samsung SSDs). But changing from checking to investment accounts and between investment accounts is is sooooo slow. And I have not grown this puppy much account-wise the last few years. I don't sync or use the app, just desktop and account updates.  Ran Validate and fix, no major issues and no change in performance. Feed me, Seymour, feed me. I think there may be a design issue going on. imo
  • barrykmdbarrykmd Member ✭✭
    I just installed QW 2019 Premier (18.15, build 27.1.18.15) , replacing QW 2016.  I'm having the same slow loading time issue, taking 45 seconds to load my data.

I went through the validate and supervalidate procedures above, but no improvement.  I've been using Quicken since the DOS days and never experienced anything like this, including virtually instant loading with QW 2016.

I'm not using mobile or web syncing, either. 

Computer is fast:
    Dell XPS 8920  Win10
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    16 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD (where Q data is stored) + 1TB HD

Any other ideas?
    Would a call to customer support be helpful?

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold the Ctrl key down until Quicken fully opens. This will bypass loading a data file and open to a blank screen with the menu bar. This step will determine whether the issue is associated with the data file or the opening of the application.
  • barrykmdbarrykmd Member ✭✭
    I unchecked "remind me later" at the lower left in the loading window to see what would happen.  Next time I opened Q, it loaded in about 5 seconds.  Problem solved.  Not sure what it's supposed to be reminding me...
  • Same problem.  Hours on chat and phone w/Quicken.  Used Advanced Revo Uninstall, reinstalled, no help.  Created new test file, no help.  Finally waited for it to open, went to Help/About Quicken, and had the latest version, BUT then went to Help/Check for Updates, and it said I had Version R1 instead of the latest - R18.  Did the upgrade and all is well.  Grrrrrr.
This discussion has been closed.