There is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package. (Q Win 2019 R 15.15)

jkljkl Member
When trying to install US Mondo Patch Update  Release R15.15 (US Versions, Oct 2018)
for Quicken 2019. Getting "There is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package." at beginning of process. Have 807GB free, have checked %temp% folders. Still will not extract.

Comments

• miklkmiklk SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    It is defective, wait until they repost a much smaller version
  • jkljkl Member
    edited October 2018
    Extracted the QW27.1.15.15MPatch.EXE file using 7zip and "open archive" and then extracted to a folder. Ran the "patch.exe" file and then R15.15 installed properly

• jkljkl Member
    edited October 2018
    Was online with support chat for 3 hours and was told to talk to my "IT department".
    Was nothing wrong with their patch.
    Was told many people already installed, and it must be my computer.
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    jkl said:

Was online with support chat for 3 hours and was told to talk to my "IT department".

not surprising as level 1 support leaves a lot to be desired. (Other companys too)
  • Fred WaltersFred Walters Member
    edited October 2018
    jkl said:

Extracted the QW27.1.15.15MPatch.EXE file using 7zip and "open archive" and then extracted to a folder. Ran the "patch.exe" file and then R15.15 installed properly

This worked for my Quicken Premier 2019, 27.1.15.15.
    I got the 7Zip from the Windows store.
  • Paul RosePaul Rose Member
    edited October 2018
    I too am having the same problem with 500 mb of free space
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Do Not Install this Patch. If it partially installs most likely it will corrupt your Quicken installation. If you get around the incompetent packaging of the patch using 7-zip or some other means, it will corrupt your data file. You won't notice it, but unless Quicken comes up with a repair process, the file will be toast. Put aside your most recent backup from Build 27.1.14.27, you will may need it someday when Quicken acknowledges they file corrupting release R15.5.  
  • BobBob Member
    edited October 2018

Do Not Install this Patch. If it partially installs most likely it will corrupt your Quicken installation. If you get around the incompetent packaging of the patch using 7-zip or some other means, it will corrupt your data file. You won't notice it, but unless Quicken comes up with a repair process, the file will be toast. Put aside your most recent backup from Build 27.1.14.27, you will may need it someday when Quicken acknowledges they file corrupting release R15.5.  

Thanks for the warning.  I attempted a Projected Balances > Multiple Accounts tonight, and crashed (the most currently released version of ) Windows 2019 Quicken. Twice. Queried the support search engine, and it pointed to the new Mondo Patch. Release notes specifically mentioned my problem. Did a "Check for Updates" and Quicken thinks it's the most recent release. Downloaded the Mondo patch. Attempted to open on C drive with 1.7 T available, and got this error. Checked here, and I'm glad I didn't try to find a work-around to the install problem. I'll live without that Multiple Account option until they fix these problems.  Thanks again. 
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited October 2018

Yes, thanks for the Heads Up. Have to ask though, is it only the Mondo Patch that's "bad", or is the routine update (QW27.1.15.15Patch.EXE) also going to brick my installation. I'm a little apprehensive now about even downloading via OSU. Yes my Paranoia is showing.
    edited October 2018

The currently posted patches will brick your software installation. Once they put the install together correctly, then after installing that patch you will be testing R15 to determine if it will brick your data file.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited October 2018

What spooks me is that twice I've had an update download and install without warning or an option for permission. Not too worried about my .qdf data file. It's copied and backed up (with every exit from the program) all over the place. An advantage of having two 2 TB external hard drives. So, I'll avoid the update(s) as best I can as I'm doing my online activities.

Appreciate your response and thank you. Have a good weekend.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018

What spooks me is that twice I've had an update download and install without warning or an option for permission.
    That is a problem they don't seem to be in a mood to change.
    So what you need to do is make sure that your UAC settings are at the default or more restrictive so that you will be prompted whenever a program wants to "make a change" (like installing) to your system.  That way at least Windows will prompt you.
    edited October 2018

Quicken took this seriously and reached out. I'm confident now that R15 when finally packaged correctly, will perform as expected; there will always be minor issues, but it won't toast your data file.

For those that 7-zipped the install, I'm not so sure about that as it might not be the version that seems to work correctly. Hopefully it was.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited October 2018

That's where my UAC is too. Just looked and the R15 Patch and Mondo Patch are still available from the update web page. Maybe Q took a tack from Microsoft with their latest "Feature" update from 1803 to 1809. That was a disaster for many folks that actually lost data files. Somehow I got luck with both our machines and no problems. But it was pulled and the fix still isn't out to the general public.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018

With that setting Windows should prompt you before any install (including the "silent ones" they try to install at startup).  It does for me and others.
  • timtim Member
    edited October 2018
    I was getting frustrated with the so-called update posted on Quicken's site, as I have more than enough hard drive space on my 1TB drive (over 300GB free, currently), so the error that there was not enough space on my drive to extract the update had to be bogus.  Glad I decided to head over here before starting to pull my hair out, as I now know this is a common issue that Quicken is simply failing/refusing to acknowledge.  And I like their statement that "there's nothing wrong with the patch."  Typical BS.
    Hopefully they'll correct this mess soon.
    Thanks all.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    jkl said:

I wonder if they understand that there is a difference between it installing automatically and downloading the manual install.  It is very possible that the automatic/differences only update works fine.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited January 11
    I'm wondering about this. Both files are still available for download and manual update. There's little to NO problems mentioned about this in new threads or posts. I've ran an OSU and an Update Now this morning with no update mentioned in the app. Help>Check for updates isn't returning anything either. Still saying R14.27 is the latest. Like I said, I'm wondering ...
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Does that happen if you are logged into the local account as ADMIN vs Limited User.
    I run as Limited User on all my computers....
    ie - never run with Admin or SuperUser privs on your everyday machines
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018

With a limited user if an install is run, it should certainly prompt, but the prompt is different.  When you are running as Admin the prompting is just "Do you want..."
    When you are running as a non Admin the prompt is to log in as an Admin to do the install.

In fact it should be impossible to install without changing to an Admin account.
    If Quicken could do this kind of install as a limit user account it would be a direct violation of the security system is all about.

BTW Windows Admins are not the "super users" of the past.
    Microsoft couldn't change the fact that everyone was logged in as an Administrator (which they started), so they changed what it means to be an Administrator.

Administrators normally run with the same permissions as the limited users, but when a program needs to do something that requires extra permissions, they prompt the user (unless they have turned off the prompting using the UAC settings)
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    Clayton said:

I'm wondering about this. Both files are still available for download and manual update. There's little to NO problems mentioned about this in new threads or posts. I've ran an OSU and an Update Now this morning with no update mentioned in the app. Help>Check for updates isn't returning anything either. Still saying R14.27 is the latest. Like I said, I'm wondering ...

R15.15 is in staged release mode.  And since most likely the few thousands that would get that automatically closed hours after they started downloading it, no one else is going to get it until it actually released to the general public (if it actually get released)
    edited October 2018
    Clayton said:

The Mondo just re-posted to the website. It loaded fine and runs as expected.  I tried the Cloud Data Reset and it completed successfully on a file that was having issues with that process previously. Sign out/in with Quicken ID also completed successfully.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited October 2018
    miklk said:
    WOW! Boy did they shrink the file size? Downloaded and installed. So far no problems. Certainly working with OSU and several reports.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited November 2018
    Since people brought up using 7-Zip to look at the contents of these patches I thought I would show what went wrong:
    Bad one:

Good one:

So, basically all the patches from all the previous releases were accidentally included in the package.

Therefore if someone ran the old patch from a 7-Zip extraction, they should have got the same result as installing the new one (no corruption of the installed files).  The install would have just ignored the old patches.
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Since people brought up using 7-Zip to look at the contents of these patches I thought I would show what went wrong:
    Bad one:

Good one:

So, basically all the patches from all the previous releases were accidentally included in the package.

Therefore if someone ran the old patch from a 7-Zip extraction, they should have got the same result as installing the new one (no corruption of the installed files).  The install would have just ignored the old patches.

They said it was a new process. Someone messed the training.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Bad one:

Good one:

BTW one has to wonder if quicken.r1.to.r15.15.wyu is really needed given the other is called quicken.all.to.r15.15.wyu.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Bad one:

Good one:

I can see where that would toast an installation. LOL might even overheat a CPU!
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Bad one:

Good one:

Out of curiosity I tried the install without quicken.r1.to.r15.15.wyu, and it failed.  So it is needed.  :-)
  • philphil Member
    edited December 2018

There seems to be a similar issue with the QW2016 R18.4 Mondo patch. It is 1.04GB in size! I though it would have been fixed by now after Quicken apparently recognised thgis processing error, but apparently not :(

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
This discussion has been closed.