Quicken Messes up Transaction Memo and Assignment on Download

Quicken Just did an update on My machine. It is version R14.27 Build 27.1.14.27 Quicken Premier For Windows 7 Year: 2019. 

Since the update it no longer downloads the memo or the name of the payee for checks deposited with remote deposit capture with my smart phone  for Capital One 360 accounts, even though Capital One shows this information on its website. It also places them in a wrong category.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

Quicken (qw.exe on your computer) does not "download" anything. It sends a request for download upstream and processes what is sent in response to that request. So it is unlikely that a new release of qw.exe is involved in your problem.

The contents of downloads are the responsibility of either the financial institution (for all Direct Connect and Web Connect downloads, and some Express Web Connect downloads), or Quicken Inc.'s Express Web Connect servers (for the remaining Express Web Connect downloads).

While it's a trivial matter to determine the payee name that was downloaded (click the gear-wheel icon above the register vertical scroll bar, and select "Downloaded payee"), that will not necessarily tell you who is responsible for that name.

But since your financial institution offers both Web Connect and Express Web Connect (and since I'm assuming that you are currently downloading using Express Web Connect); I suggest you create a New (test) Quicken file, setup one MANUAL account for your financial institution in that file, then go online and download a Web Connect (a QFX) file from your financial institution, and import that QFX file into your New (test) Quicken file. Compare the payee names in the New (test) - downloaded using Web Connect, to the payee names in your regular Quicken file - presumably downloaded using Express Web Connect.

If the payee names downloaded using Web Connect match the payee names you have been downloading using Express Web Connect, the problem is with your financial institution.

If the payee names downloaded using Web Connect do not match the payee names being downloaded using Express Web Connect, you need to contact Quicken support (https://www.quicken.com/support#windows) and have them contact the Quicken Express Web Connect scripts team.

FYI: Quicken (qw.exe on your computer) only knows what category to use for a transaction based on the payee name: if the downloaded payee name is not "correct" (and is not corrected by a Quicken renaming rule), there is no way for Quicken to assign a category unless the register payee name matches a Memorized payee name.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

Quicken (qw.exe on your computer) does not "download" anything. It sends a request for download upstream and processes what is sent in response to that request. So it is unlikely that a new release of qw.exe is involved in your problem.

The contents of downloads are the responsibility of either the financial institution (for all Direct Connect and Web Connect downloads, and some Express Web Connect downloads), or Quicken Inc.'s Express Web Connect servers (for the remaining Express Web Connect downloads).

While it's a trivial matter to determine the payee name that was downloaded (click the gear-wheel icon above the register vertical scroll bar, and select "Downloaded payee"), that will not necessarily tell you who is responsible for that name.

But since your financial institution offers both Web Connect and Express Web Connect (and since I'm assuming that you are currently downloading using Express Web Connect); I suggest you create a New (test) Quicken file, setup one MANUAL account for your financial institution in that file, then go online and download a Web Connect (a QFX) file from your financial institution, and import that QFX file into your New (test) Quicken file. Compare the payee names in the New (test) - downloaded using Web Connect, to the payee names in your regular Quicken file - presumably downloaded using Express Web Connect.

If the payee names downloaded using Web Connect match the payee names you have been downloading using Express Web Connect, the problem is with your financial institution.

If the payee names downloaded using Web Connect do not match the payee names being downloaded using Express Web Connect, you need to contact Quicken support (https://www.quicken.com/support#windows) and have them contact the Quicken Express Web Connect scripts team.

FYI: Quicken (qw.exe on your computer) only knows what category to use for a transaction based on the payee name: if the downloaded payee name is not "correct" (and is not corrected by a Quicken renaming rule), there is no way for Quicken to assign a category unless the register payee name matches a Memorized payee name.

Quicken (qw.exe on your computer) does not "download" anything.
    Well, except YES it does download for EWC accounts.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

I agree with UKR, I think a lot of people, including myself would disagree with that statement, because clearly Quicken does download transactions.

I think what you meant to say is Quicken is never responsible what the Downloaded Payee name is.  That comes from upstream of Quicken (the program).

And I believe in every case Direct Connect, Web Connect, and even Express Web Connect the payee name is always unchanged from what the financial institution gave with maybe the exception of truncating it if it exceeds the OFX standards.

Now mine you "what the financial institution gave" doesn't have line up with the what is on their website.

For Web Connect (QFX file) and Direct Connect (sending OFX/QFX records of the data directly to Quicken) there is nothing stopping them from sending whatever they like.

And in the case of Express Web Connect there is an "agreement" with the financial institution on how to get that data.  It could be a QFX file that the financial institution generates, or CSV file, or maybe even "read the web page" (not likely because this is the most error prone).  But the point is that it is the financial institution that gives the payee "source data".  In no case is the Intuit Express Web Server "making it up".
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

Also on this statement:

even though Capital One shows this information on its website
    Is it in the transaction information as text?
    Or is it an image?

If it isn't text, it isn't going to be sent to Quicken.

If is extremely rare that the financial institutions actually read the payees off of checks (or images of checks as is the case here).

For instance USAA just uses the generic term "Mobile Deposit".
  • jgharris7jgharris7 Member
    edited October 2018
    A couple of comments: 1) While the financial institution doesn't extract the payee from the check image, the remote deposit capture allows me to put in a memo. I put in the payee in the memo so I can more easily reconcile items later. It used to be that that information from the memo showed up in the line-item during the automatic download. Now it shows up as just "check deposit". Now it does not. If I do a manual QFX download, the information is there. I don't recall which field the memo used to show up in---memo or payee; but I know that information does not appear when I do the automatic download.

2) While the financial institution determines what is sent to Quicken in the automatic download, Quicken does parse the file to fill the register. Thus if Quicken changes how it parses the file. You can't expect the user to figure out whether the information is lost because it is not sent by the financial institution in the first place or because Quicken does not capture the field when it parses the file. Quicken provides no way for the user to see what the raw download looks like.
    edited October 2018
    jgharris7 said:

A couple of comments: 1) While the financial institution doesn't extract the payee from the check image, the remote deposit capture allows me to put in a memo. I put in the payee in the memo so I can more easily reconcile items later. It used to be that that information from the memo showed up in the line-item during the automatic download. Now it shows up as just "check deposit". Now it does not. If I do a manual QFX download, the information is there. I don't recall which field the memo used to show up in---memo or payee; but I know that information does not appear when I do the automatic download.

2) While the financial institution determines what is sent to Quicken in the automatic download, Quicken does parse the file to fill the register. Thus if Quicken changes how it parses the file. You can't expect the user to figure out whether the information is lost because it is not sent by the financial institution in the first place or because Quicken does not capture the field when it parses the file. Quicken provides no way for the user to see what the raw download looks like.

Have you tried displaying the Downloaded Memo column to your account register?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    jgharris7 said:

Quicken probably hasn't changed the way they parse the OFX data in many, many years.  That is what a standard like OFX does for you.

What has happened very recently is that Capital One and Quicken Inc (more likely Intuit) have come to an agreement on a new way to transfer the data.

And in fact they have given it a slightly different name.  If you right click on the account in Account Bar and select Edit/Delete account, and then the Online Services tab you will see the connection type.  I believe the new type is called Express Web Connect Plus.  Or something like that where they have added on to the Express Web Connect "name".

When they changed over lots of things changed.  For instance people have noticed the frequency that the information is updated is much longer, even though unlike all Express Web Connect "regular" the transactions are no longer stored on Intuit's servers.  Instead the requests are fulfilled by Quicken making the request to Intuit's servers, that then turn around and forward that request to the Capital One's servers, and then the information is sent back through the same pipe, and Intuit's servers return the data to Quicken in QFX format.

The point is that all of this is still "upstream" of Quicken "the program".

Most likely the problem resides with what Capital One is putting into that stream, but it could also be a problem with what Intuit's servers are doing.
    edited October 2018
    jgharris7 said:

From C. D. Bales:

"Well, except YES it does download for EWC accounts".

I specifically said that "Quicken (qw.exe on your computer) does not download anything".

I intentionally phrased it that way to distinguish qw.exe (what most users mean when they refer to "Quicken") from the creation of downloaded data by the financial institution or Quicken, Inc. Express Web Connect scripts and servers.

And I posted that comment to push the thought process away from assuming that some new version of qw.exe, or some new patch of qw.exe, was likely to be involved with the contents of downloaded data.

The original poster was attempting to correlate the change in downloaded data to a new patch of Q2019 (as in "Since the update, it [Quicken, i.e. qw.exe] no longer downloads the memo or the name ....").

I know no of no direct relationship between patches to qw.exe and the format of the contents of downloads, whether Direct Connect, Web Connect or Express Web Connect.

To address latest comment by the original poster: I also noted in my previous reply that if the payee names downloaded via Express Web Connect do not match the payee names downloaded using Express Web Connect, the user should contact Quicken support. I find it extremely difficult to believe that Quicken (qw.exe) would parse the same downloaded payee name differently, if found in a Web Connect download than if found in an Express Web Connect download.

I probably should have included in my previous reply that the user can look at the downloaded payee name (the downloaded name before qw.exe parses it) right in the Quicken account register by choosing to display the "Downloaded payee" column.

[FWIW, regarding the contents of downloads that utilize different Connection Methods: There is (or was at one time) a difference in the contents of Web Connect downloads from Bank of America and Direct Connect downloads from Bank of America. BofA allows their customers to enter a Memo for a transaction at the BofA web site (a memo not present when the transaction actually occurred/cleared). The contents of that Memo are downloaded in Web Connect downloads from BofA, but not in Direct Connect downloads from BofA. BofA is 100% responsible for the contents of those downloads. So not even the two most reliable Connection Methods guarantee that the data sent to Quicken will be correct and complete. Without spending time researching that problem, it might have been easy to assume that Quicken was losing the memo (when I first discovered the memo was missing from downloads, I used only Direct Connect with BofA).]
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    jgharris7 said:

Not that it really matters, but I will point out that:

I disagreed with the wording of this statement:

"Quicken (qw.exe on your computer) does not "download" anything."

And I think the wording of this statement is "incomplete".

"Well, except YES it does download for EWC accounts".

Downloading is the process of retrieving some data.
    It isn't the process of creating that data.

I can download images and videos from the web, that doesn't imply that my web browser has changed any of the contents of those downloaded files.

Clearly Quicken (qw.exe) "downloads" the data/transactions.
    And it does that for Express Web Connect and Direct Connect.
    For Web Connect it doesn't, it just does the second part of the operation which is parse/import of the data in the QFX file.

And so I totally agree with C. D. Bales that "Quicken/qw.exe" isn't the "creator" of that data, and as such unless the "parsing" of the data changed Quicken (qw.exe) isn't going to be the problem, and that is highly unlikely to be the case.
  • Don't know if this is the correct thread to report my "memo field" issue but, thanks to C. D. Bales, I can now describe my issue.

Since version 1, Quicken has ALWAYS downloaded the original payee data in the memo field.

After the October release, qw.exe changed the rules and now places other banking data in the memo field.

This is clearly a Quicken issue, not a problem at my financial institution since the Quicken "Downloaded Payee" field contains the information that should be in the memo field.
    From C. D. Bales:

"Since version 1, Quicken has ALWAYS downloaded the original payee data in the memo field".

1.) As noted earlier; Quicken (that is: qw.exe on your computer) plays no part in selecting, or formatting, transactions for downloading. Never has. That selecting and formatting is done by the financial institution (for Direct Connect and Web Connect) - selecting and formatting for Express Web Connect downloads may be done by the financial institution or by Intuit servers.

Furthermore, different financial institutions format their transactions differently: some put payee name in the memo field; some do not. I download from two major banks: neither has ever put any payee name info in the downloaded memo field (going back at least to Q2004 and up through Q2019) - and the majority of their downloaded memo data is blank.

"After the October release, qw.exe changed the rules and now places other banking data in the memo field".

That statement is either misleading, or incorrect. Again, qw.exe, plays no part in formatting downloaded transactions. Also see above: when I occasionally get data in the downloaded memo field, it is never payee name data.

So it matters how you are determining that the formatting of the downloaded memo field has changed.

The only way that Quicken (qw.exe) can "appear" to alter the memo field of a downloaded transaction is if you have QuickFill enabled and a memorized transaction that matches a downloaded payee has information in its memo field, while the downloaded transaction does not. If this is the cause of you seeing different data in the memo field of downloaded transactions, you can change that by making sure your memorized payees have a blank memo field.

Otherwise, any changes you see to the actual "downloaded" memo field occurred upstream from Quicken (upstream from qw.exe) - not on your pc.

I suggest you have Quicken display the "Downloaded Memo" in the register of the account in question - then you can compare the downloaded memo values for transactions from various time frames. Then, depending on what your "Connection Method" is (Direct Connect, Web Connect, or Express Web Connect), you will know who to hold responsible for any change in the contents of the downloaded memo field.

Whether you can get any changes reversed is another story. If the  formatter of the downloaded transactions did not intend to change the rules for the contents of the downloaded memo field, I think you may have a reasonable chance of getting the change reversed.  You'll have to take that up with the responsible party.

[For Express Web Connect downloads, I believe you will need to contact Quicken Support (https://www.quicken.com/support#windows) to find out who is responsible for the contents of your download.]