Quicken is corrupting my paychecks

Quicken Premier for Windows 2019, Version R14.27, Build 27.1.14.27

My paycheck is a little complicated, between taxes and transfers into multiple accounts (401K, HSA, checking, savings, etc.).  Periodically some of my paychecks will get corrupted.  It seems to happen most often (but not always) when I reconcile, mark as (R), part of the paycheck in one of the transfer accounts.  When it is corrupted, there are two symptoms: one is where instead of the primary paycheck transaction showing as a deposit into my savings account in the regular register view, it shows as a withdrawal (the amount matches one of the sub-item transfers to one of the other accounts).  Sometimes, I just need to open the transaction to view the splits, and then hit OK, and it fixes itself.  The second symptom is worse: if I hover, it will still show all (or at least most of the splits), but if I try to open up and view/edit the splits (to try and fix the first symptom) the split view shows up empty (no earnings, no transfers, no entries anywhere and all the sub-totals are $0.00).  At this point if I run a file validation and repair, it flags all of the other halves of the paycheck transfers as corrupted transactions that need to be deleted and recreated.

If this just happened once or twice, I'd chalk it up to the inevitable crashes that Quicken has, but this seems to happen almost monthly where I have to spend half an hour painfully re-creating a single paycheck.  And of course you can't just enter a single paycheck as a simple transaction.

Due to other bugs, I even deleted ALL of my bills and scheduled transactions (including my paycheck) and recreated everything.  Things seemed good for a few weeks, and then a paycheck got corrupted, but it was an old one from before I recreated everything, so I assumed it was still leftovers. Well tonight it happened again and it was on a new transaction.

For all the fancy new features they are adding, I would give it all up just to have it stop corrupting my data!

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Are you using mobile or syncing to the cloud?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GrantRiGrantRi Member
    edited October 2018
    I have installed the mobile client and used it to view transactions, but never anything more. As I was fixing it this time it corrupted itself without downloading, syncing or anything. I even did the super validate before re-adding the paycheck. As soon as I marked it as reconciled, it messed it up again. So you can't blame it on any online stuff.
  • dweinshel1dweinshel1 Member
    edited December 2018

This is an ongoing issue. Paycheck corruption occurs without any clear preceding action.
     It is a major flaw that Quicken has been silent on.
    edited December 2018
    I spent some time chatting with Quicken and evetually sending a problem report through the help menu. The rep confirmed that it was reportrd previously and was going to "escalate" the issue. I've heard nothing further.
  • craigcrowdercraigcrowder Member
    edited December 2018
    I get this too, and it started within the last couple of months.

• SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I think this has been going on for years.  I remember having to redo my paycheck transactions from time to time because either items would go missing or contribution transfers would "break".  It took me a long time to learn that the "Create a Paycheck" feature is not really needed.  If you really want to keep track of your deductions, and payroll taxes, you can set up a regular split transaction to create a paycheck transaction.  Or just simply use net pay and have your contribution transactions occur in the account that they were intended for (401(k), IRA, etc).  I have found the itemized paycheck on Quicken serves no real purpose.  And in fact a detriment to the budget feature.
    edited January 6
    No.   This is new.

To me, it's a useful important feature that I use and it needs to be fixed - immediately.   

edited December 2018

No.   This is new.

To me, it's a useful important feature that I use and it needs to be fixed - immediately.   

Agreed. It's a Q "feature". It ought to work. Still no response from my "escalated" chat with Q support. 
    edited December 2018

No.   This is new.

This is the bottom line, for me.     All Quicken features should work, out of the box, end of statement.    If they don't work, they shouldn't be released.

I've used this feature for 20 years.   Suddenly, it's stopped working.    I don't know if it's in conflict with a new feature that hasn't been regression tested, or if Quicken just doesn't care about product reliability.     But, they need to fix it.   That means fix this feature, outstanding bugs, and all data reliability issues BEFORE pressing on with releasing new features.
    edited December 2018

No.   This is new.

Amen. 20+ years w Q. Have always used paycheck feature since it's inception. Corruption has been an issue this last year.
    edited January 6

No.   This is new.

After careful monitoring of my paychecks, I have found that the corruption seems to occur following a OSU.

I have been checking my last few paychecks every time I go into Q. Then I backup the known good file. Then I do whatever I need to do, pay bills, OSU, etc. Then I recheck my paychecks. Then I super validate, no errors (usually one scheduled transaction ?repaired). Then I check the paychecks. Then I back up file and close out.

Sometimes OSU's will seem to have completed without error, but while reconciling transactions (this time not in the paycheck account) it  became evident that OSU had not completed as the screen started flickering and the orange flag did not clear after I accepted the downloaded transactions from the first account. It finally settled down, but I found that my last paycheck was corrupted.

Easier now to recover from a manual backup since they are so frequent.
    Easier than digging up the detail on the paystub,
    Don't think Quicken understands it.
  • edited January 9
    I am losing paychecks at least once a month and maybe twice. Come on Quicken Team, get this fixed or at least give us a time frame.
  • bulljustinbulljustin Member
    edited January 13
    Today I found that several transfers from my paycheck weren't showing up in an account that wasn't being synced to the cloud. Most of them when I opened the paycheck and saved it, the transfer showed up again.

However, one of the paychecks would show the splits when I moused over the split list, but would show nothing when I opened it. I accidentally hit save and now all my my paycheck info is gone. When I try to do a split on it now to re-enter it, I only get the modify net salary paycheck box.

Thankfully I keep my .qdf file in OneDrive so I can get a backup from the last known good, but this is really not acceptable.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13

Today I found that several transfers from my paycheck weren't showing up in an account that wasn't being synced to the cloud. Most of them when I opened the paycheck and saved it, the transfer showed up again.

However, one of the paychecks would show the splits when I moused over the split list, but would show nothing when I opened it. I accidentally hit save and now all my my paycheck info is gone. When I try to do a split on it now to re-enter it, I only get the modify net salary paycheck box.

Thankfully I keep my .qdf file in OneDrive so I can get a backup from the last known good, but this is really not acceptable.

Hello Bulljustin,

I would like to add that storing the active file a cloud drive or network drives such as One Drive can cause corruption and isn't officially supported.

https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-share-my-quicken-file-between-multiple-computers-using-dropbox

This may be why you are seeing this corruption in your paychecks.

I would recommend moving the active file out of One Drive to prevent further problems

Back up files can be stored in One Drive without consequence.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • edited January 13

Storing the datafile in the cloud may not be recommended but plenty of people are having the same problem when storing the file locally, myself included. What people here really want is either a solution to the general problem or at least some indication that Quicken is trying to fix it. All of the responses from Quicken focus on something other than a bug. The users that experience this know that it is a bug and you are alienating us by dancing around this point.

The information is present in the file. When you hover you can see it. If you will focus on fixing the bug, it may not only be possible to avoid future corruptions but existing ones might be repairable. Escalate the issue and treat it like a bug. Long time users are losing faith in your commitment to customers.
  • edited January 13

Agreed! My datafile is stored locally and I have both my wife's and my own paychecks corrupted at least once monthly. I was very grateful when the current investors rescued Quicken from Intuit indifference, but they really need to pay attention to issues like this. Corrupting data is not a small bug..
This discussion has been closed.