Quicken freezes and Windows shows error 'BugSplatRC resource.dll not found'

When windows 10 opens I get the error in a message window. I have some BugsplatRC dll files in my Quicken. Is this 'resource.dll some file or a property of the BugsplatRC?

In Quicken several things are happening:

1. when Quicken opens slowly, there is a reminder that Quicken 2019 upgrade is available. Although, reminder me later is marked, it appears every time I open Quicken. My Subscription is not up for renewal until Dec 2018 for 'version 2019' (Home and Business version). Why should I dare pay for a renewal when what I currently have installed is so messed up?

2. In Quicken once opened I cannot open any Menus. The wait hovers over all Menu items.
The date on some of the BugSplat files is 111/05/2018. The breakdown in the functioning of Quicken appeared on 11/06/2028 and it took most of the day to determine this was related to Quicken.

3. there is a download feature that usually pops up when ever Windows is opened and it has not appears. Could this error be related to this missing Download of transactions?

4. Quicken is totally useless although it will automatically download my transactions and sync to the Online APP. 

5. there's a couple years of problems with this bugsplat dll resources in this community's post and little that really have answers. There are a lot of trial and error, problem not solved situations. I have not found one that indicates it was successful or that clearly defines just what the problem is.

6. if a file is missing or damages? where can it be gotten? How would I know if either and is it a registry problem re: Quicken? Do I need to uninstall Quicken and reinstall it? Several comments indicate that was not the fix.

7. Did Quicken in a update recently, re-create an old problem with some programming of a new upgrade? 

8. Those told it is a Windows problem found Microsoft pointing them back to Quicken. I don't even know where and how to contact Microsoft about this problem, even if it is something they can fix. Some all the posting here, it seems there is a Quicken problem that's been plaguing users of years now. I cannot figure under what situation (s) the users find themselves blocked from using Quicken and having the desktop generally showed down by the error condition.

I hope there is enough information here and in posts from others to give us a clean straight forward set of steps (documented at the novice level) to apply.

Brenda at Tigerwizards

Comments

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Brenda Wiggins ,

> 1. when Quicken opens slowly, there is a reminder that Quicken 2019
    upgrade is available. Although, reminder me later is marked, it appears
    every time I open Quicken. My Subscription is not up for renewal until
    Dec 2018 for 'version 2019' (Home and Business version). Why should I
    dare pay for a renewal when what I currently have installed is so messed
    up?

Uncheck Remind me later and then "X" out the Window.

> 2. In Quicken once opened I cannot open any Menus. The wait hovers over all Menu items.
    The
    date on some of the BugSplat files is 111/05/2018. The breakdown in the
    functioning of Quicken appeared on 11/06/2028 and it took most of the
    day to determine this was related to Quicken.

Make sure that the Date and Time Settings of your Router is correct.
    Was there a previous version of Quicken installed?

> 3. there is a download feature that usually pops up when ever Windows is
    opened and it has not appears. Could this error be related to this
    missing Download of transactions?

Please explain further.

> 4. Quicken is totally useless although it will automatically download my transactions and sync to the Online APP.

Until you have the Desktop version of Quicken running to your satisfaction, don't use Mobile or Sync.

> 5. there's a couple years of problems with this bugsplat dll resources
    in this community's post and little that really have answers. There are a
    lot of trial and error, problem not solved situations. I have not found
    one that indicates it was successful or that clearly defines just what
    the problem is.

You need to send in the Bug Reports, otherwise they won't be addressed.

> 6. if a file is missing or damages? where can it be gotten? How would I
    know if either and is it a registry problem re: Quicken? Do I need to
    uninstall Quicken and reinstall it? Several comments indicate that was
    not the fix.

See this Article and do not skip a step:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/reinstalling-quicken-2018-for-windows?rfm=1&...
    Also applies to Quicken 2019.

> 7. Did Quicken in a update recently, re-create an old problem with some programming of a new upgrade?

Yes, but R 15.18 fixed the problem.

> 8. Those told it is a Windows problem found Microsoft pointing them back
    to Quicken. I don't even know where and how to contact Microsoft about
    this problem, even if it is something they can fix. Some all the posting
    here, it seems there is a Quicken problem that's been plaguing users of
    years now. I cannot figure under what situation (s) the users find
    themselves blocked from using Quicken and having the desktop generally
    showed down by the error condition.

See this Article: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

You haven't included any information on the operating system, Quicken is installed in.

• B ZARKB ZARK Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    there should be 2 files in your Quicken program folder bugsplat.dll and bugsplatrc.dll also bssndrpt.exe .   these are crash reporting  modules.   there may be a problem with your instillation which requires uninstalling and reinstalling  the program.  back up your data file to another location first. Contact support.     
  • youlz1youlz1 Member ✭✭
    I recently updated to the 2019 Quicken subscription. I had been using Quicken 2016 and really didn't want to upgrade, however, Quicken's discontinuation of my ability to perform online updates with 2016 forced my hand. I am running Quicken for Windows on a Mac with a Parallels interface. The difficulty I had setting this up was a large part of the reason I didn't really want to upgrade my software. I would have liked to use the Mac version of Quicken, but as anyone knows who has used both the Windows & Mac versions, the Mac version is unacceptably inferior to the Windows version.

All that being said, the upgrade went great and I was up and running with no issues almost immediately. Then about two weeks ago, I went to perform an online update and was presented with the "BugSplatRC resource DLL not found". I am not very computer savvy, but I knew I had a problem and contacted Quicken support. The tech decided that I needed to uninstall & then re-install the new Quicken I had purchased. He led me through this process and it seemed to fix my issue.

Then, earlier this week, the same BugSplatRC message reappeared during a routing online update. I contacted Quicken once again. This time the tech told me that my file was corrupted. He also told me that my file was too large. I've been using Quicken for more than 25 years and my file contains all that data. He stated that Quicken couldn't guarantee a file more than 5 years old for banking and no more than 10 years old for investing. I have never heard anything like that before and questioned the accuracy of that statement as well as my tech's ability. Plus, why was I experiencing none of these problems before I upgraded from Quicken 2016?

I asked to speak to his supervisor and hopefully get another opinion. The supervisor told me the missing DLL was because I needed a Windows update to my Visual C++. She refused to help me with that and recommended that I hire an "IT consultant"! I had just spent over $100 for a Quicken upgrade that I really didn't want and now she was recommending I spend more money to hire someone to get the program to work. I felt abandoned with my entire financial life in jeopardy.

I contacted Microsoft support, paid $49 for a one time consult, and told my technical advisor what the Quicken supervisor had said I needed. Via remote access, the tech went into my Windows Control panel to see what version of C++ I had installed. To his surprise, he found that there was no Visual C++ installed. His comment was that Windows typically does not install Visual C++, but if an application requires it, that application normally installs Visual C++ as part of the installation. He was basically telling me that Quicken should have installed this as part of their program. He then helped me to find and install Visual C++ into my control panel. We restarted Quicken and tried the online update and everything seemed to work fine. We did a file validation and that worked fine. So far, it appears that the Visual C++ install has resolved the problem.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that this is a known problem with Quicken which Quicken should fix, but are pointing fingers at Windows instead. 

This discussion has been closed.