Target Red Card - New Security Feature

Since mid-September when Target updated its website, i have been having issues.  Specifically, in Quicken, it first attempts to reach Target, then says there is a new security feature, so i click try again, and the one of the security questions I setup comes up in Quicken and i answer it.  I hit ok, Quicken thinks for a bit, then nothing happens, the online update process stops and the target card is not updated.  I try it a few times, still nothing.  Then i go to the target site and try to log on.  I put my user ID, it takes me to the same security question, I answer it, and I get this response:  

We’re unable to log you into Manage My REDcard. Try to reset your security questions using the button below, have your card ready to begin. 
If you don’t have your card available, please contact us at 1-800-394-1829. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

I have reset my security questions four times.  Or, said another way, i have been locked out and had to reset my security questions after every time i have tried to update the Target account in Quicken.  Seems like there is something not working with the interface between Quicken and Target and Target looks at the Quicken attempt to access the account as malicious and suspends online access until the security questions are reset.  I see a fair number of posts about this issue, but all are answered by super users who don't really seem to read what the original poster is saying (one was closed after a super user linked a completely irrelevant three year old post thread as the solution).

Right now, i can't connect my target account anymore.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• B ZARKB ZARK Member
    edited November 2018
    Have you tried calling the number and explaining the issue and if they can't help contact Q support.  the issue may be unresolvable at your end. 
  • edited November 2018
    The FAQ on the Target Red Card website says this:

Q: How can I download my transactions into programs like QuickBooks/Quicken?
    A: Select search transactions under transactions. Choose the variables you’d like to export,
    then select Choose Format under Export Results. Select a format to begin download.

If you are using Quicken, you may need to provide your Account ID, which can be found on the home tab.

But, I don't know where to provide this Account ID.

I'll be following this thread and looking for updates, because this has also locked me out of my account 3 times and I have to reset my security questions each time, which is really, really annoying.
  • edited November 2018
    Oh, and one more thing, it might be noteworthy to know that if you deactivate this account for auto-update and then reactivate it, it works again and redownloads your recent transactions as it should...but the next time you go to auto-update, the security feature doesn't allow the update.
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hello Kerry, appreciate your question.

According to the information that you have provided, it appears that Target would like for you to download the transactions directly from the website via a QFX (Web Connect) file.

I would followup with Target and ask if you can use Express Web Connect or is it only using Web Connect from here on out.

Hope this information is helpful.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • StuartStuart Member
    edited November 2018
    Target's phone support explained to me that we Quicken users must now use, not our credit card number, but rather our Account Identification Number, which is found near the top of our Target monthly account statement, in order to download using Express Web Connect.

I deactivated the Target account and reactivated it, now using the Account Identification Number on the Target account's General tab. Then I linked the new account to the original Target account. The transactions downloaded just fine.

HOWEVER, the next time I went to download transactions, the Account Identification Number I had put in was gone, so I now have to do the whole sequence all over again each time I want to download Target transactions!! 
  • edited January 8
    I just spoke with Target customer service.  That person indicated problems with downloads occur because Quicken only processes 2-Factor Authentication and Target requires 3-Factor Authentication.  They seemed to blame Quicken for not being able to process 3FA.
  • Joseph ArdenJoseph Arden Member
    edited January 8

I just spoke with Target customer service.  That person indicated problems with downloads occur because Quicken only processes 2-Factor Authentication and Target requires 3-Factor Authentication.  They seemed to blame Quicken for not being able to process 3FA.

Well that's annoying!
  • edited January 12
    I came here from a Google search for this very issue — except I'm not using Quicken. So this won't help anyone here directly, except to say the issue is not limited to Quicken. I have the same problem with Mint when trying to access my Target account; as you may know, Mint is sort of a competitor to Quicken. Thankfully this thread gave me some ideas about what could be going on with the problem affecting me.
This discussion has been closed.