2 Discover accounts now downloading into one account

I have two accounts with Discover and recently Discover offered a single login experience.  Now all transaction for both cards are downloading into one account in Quicken.    Discover says it is not their problem...   I know I can manually download the data but that workaround will still require the removal of the data of the second card from the first account.  I know I can cancel the card and get a new one.  Any help or ideas?  Is Quicken working on a fix for this?  Quicken 2019 Version R15.18  Build 27.1.15.18.  Windows 10 

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    On the Account List (Tools menu), click on Edit for one of the accounts.

On the General tab of the Account Details, what is exactly show for the Financial Institution?

On the Online Services tab, what is shown for the Connection Method?

You want Discover Card (not Discover Card Account Center) and Direct Connect (not Express Web Connect).
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jerry BrandtJerry Brandt Member
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

On the General tab of the Account Details, what is exactly show for the Financial Institution?

You want Discover Card (not Discover Card Account Center) and Direct Connect (not Express Web Connect).

Are you suggesting that I change it if it is working?  The data downloads but it all goes into one Discover account rather than the two that it always has in the past.  
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

It doesn't sound like it is working correctly, otherwise you would not be here reporting the issue.

Discover Card has never failed to keep my transactions separated appropriately using the Direct Connect download method.  The EWC method involves Quicken aggregation servers screen scraping the data from the Discover website servers and is easily messed up by changes in the website.

I would create a new test file and add the two accounts to it making sure that you use "Advanced Setup", select Discover Card for the FI and then select Direct Connect.  I bet you get two separate accounts that download properly.

edited November 2018
    splasher said:

So here is the deal - when I opted for a group login in Discover I can no longer login into the secondary account by itself - therefore there is no way to ask quicken to log into the second account.
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

So, humor me and create a test file with just the Discover Card accounts in it and see what happens.  If you tell me they are still combined, I'll shut-up and go away, but don't say it won't work until you do the test.

File->New Quicken File

edited November 2018
    splasher said:

I used the method you suggested " "Advanced Setup", select Discover Card for the FI and then select Direct Connect. " and got "You do not have authorization to access this account at this time.  Please register your account through the online account center" for the main account and for the second account as well.   I can go to the discover web page and log in to the first account but not the second.  I attempted to change the password on the second account and Discover changed the password on the first account.  I am not looking for you to go away, I am looking for a resolution.
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

It could be that you only really have one account, but two card holders.  Depending on your bank, it could be set up differently.  AMEX issues 2 different card numbers with 2 separate log ins but really, everything is controlled by the main card holders account.  Wells Fargo issues only one card number to both card holders, and only one account for the main card holder.

I am not familiar with how discover handles this situation, but it sounds like in the end, everything gets posted to one account, even though there are two different log ins.
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

Definitely 2 separate accounts
    Member Since June 1989
    Member Since December 1995

I have managed the accounts in Quicken for years and MS Money for YEARS.  The problem started about 4 months ago when Discover offered the option to sign in to all your accounts with a single sign in.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

Discover has support people who handle Quicken direct connect issues. You should contact Discover and ask them how to use direct connect with their new process. Their new process may have a defect that does not allow the secondary account to be activated but until they get that fixed, they may be able to activate it using their internal system.
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

Splasher, I have tried 3 different times to do the setup as you instructed - to no avail.  Any new ideas for me to try?
    edited November 2018
    splasher said:

Since you did not state what / how it failed, I don't know where to start.

Why not have Discover return the cards to separate login accounts and go back to a configuration that you know did work?

• Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Try doing an Account Reset on the Online Services tab and see if Quicken gives you the ability to link each credit card to separate Quicken accounts.

Also, I'm wondering if each of the Quicken accounts is now using the single login now versus the separate logins you had before.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

Above I wrote "I used the method you suggested " "Advanced Setup", select Discover Card for the FI and then select Direct Connect. " and got "You do not have authorization to access this account at this time.  Please register your account through the online account center" for the main account and for the second account as well. ... "  Discover said there was no way to separate them.  That was the FIRST thing I tried.  I am still trying for a resolution to this.
This discussion has been closed.