hardware acceleration causing problems?

I was trying to run Quicken 2015 on my computer and the screen would flicker (go totally black for short moments) and then Windows would log out. When I log back in, any program that I had opened would be closed. 

I added a video card (MSI Radeon R7 240) to see if that would fix the problem. That seems to have fixed the problem.

Computer: Pavilion A6040n (Dual core, 2GB, on board video)
Windows 8.1 (32-bit) Embedded Industry Pro

Someone on another forum had the idea that Quicken is using some form of hardware acceleration that the 945g IGP (on board video) doesn't like.  Does that seem plausible?  Is there a way to change the setting (turn off the hardware acceleration)?  If not, is there an established list of video processors that Quicken "gets along with?" 

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    edited November 2018
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardware-acceleration-windows-7
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Silverthunder ,

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/how-to-turn-of-hardware-accelera...

" understand the issue better.
    1. Were you able to use this software earlier on Windows 8.1 computer?

Windows 8 by default have hardware acceleration set to full and
    Hardware acceleration cannot be
    increased or decreased. It can only be enabled or disabled. It also
    depends on the graphics card. Some graphics cards do not support
    hardware acceleration.

Please refer to these steps to check if the graphics card supports hardware acceleration or not and to enable or disable it:

1. On the desktop, press Windows key + X and select
      Control Panel.
    2. In Large Icons View, click on
      Display
      and click on Change Display Settings, in the left pane.
    3. Click on Advanced Settings.

In the Advanced Settings window, if Troubleshooting tab is present, then the graphics card supports hardware acceleration.

4. Click on the Troubleshooting tab and move the
      Hardware Acceleration slider to Full.
    5. Click on OK and restart the computer to save the settings."

However, the problem you are seeing may be a lack of Memory, having just 2 GBs installed.

https://www.quicken.com/system-requirements/windows

Quicken needs 1 GB or higher installed and you may have too many background programs running at the same time.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
  • I was back to using the old video card for a while and didn't notice any problems.  Recently, though, I switched my monitor and the native resolution of my computer and monitor is 2048 x 1152, which I understand may not be very common.  Anyway, when I maximize the Quicken program, I notice the problem again.  The program seems like it's trying to maximize and the screen starts flashing (about a half of a second off and then a half of a second on).  After about 4 cycles of this, Windows logs itself out and when I log back in, all programs are closed.