Can no longer Backup with Quicken 2019 - "Unable to Open Source File"

After the update to 2019, I can no longer backup my Q file with any consistency. It either works or I get a consistent "Unable to open source file". This never happened before the update. So something changed. I assume the Source file they are referring to is the Actual Quicken file.
Since it works sometimes I assume it's a timing problem. There are NO tasks running any where that reference the Quicken Source File. So if they close the file before (to insure it written) they open it for backup. Then they are not waiting long enough. 

Please fix this as it is annoying as hell.

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    How have you determined There are NO tasks running any where that reference the Quicken Source File?

When we perform a Quicken backup, Quicken closes and then reopens the Quicken data file.  The error you've described is produced when another process has the data file open when Quicken is attempting to reopen the data file.  The typical processes that attempt to access the data file during this window are backup and sync services.  To avoid the issue, these services either need to be suspended when performing the Quicken backup or the services need to be configured so that they will not attempt to access the data file.  
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Roland J Bunten ,

See this Article: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

Where on the computer is the location for the Quicken Data File? Where is the location where you are backing up to? Exact locations, please.

Include the rest of the details from the link.

And Huh! " So if they close the file before (to insure it written) they open it for backup. Then they are not waiting long enough. "

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R21.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.4

Vote:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20022841#Comment_20022841

• SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Is your Quicken data file on a network drive?  I have had this happen to me when I attempted to put  my Quicken data file on my network drive, thinking that would allow me to access one file with multiple devices.  When I saved it back to my local drive, the backup worked fine again.
  • edited November 2018
    The both the Quicken File and the backups are on a NAS device. But, they haven't not moved in years. The problem started with the Version 19 upgrade. And as previously stated, it doesn't fail every time, just about 90% of the time. I know Quicken doesn't like the source file on a network device and since that appears to be the file in question I will move it to a local storage device to see if it corrects the situation. I'll post results tomorrow.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    "I know Quicken doesn't like the source file on a network device..." you do understand that this practice can/will lead to file corruption that may go undetected?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • edited December 2018
    I ran a test this morning with the actual quicken file located in a local folder. It worked correctly (i did it several times to be sure). In some ways that is GOOD news in others it is not so good. 

I have a general rule about Data on my computers, "NO data gets stored on local computer", it all is stored on the NAS device. So I have always had my Quicken file located on my NAS drive (and yes they have warned me about problems doing that). I need to access the file from several machines on my network, so I have always done it that way and never experienced a problem (that I saw). But I can see that timing of closing the file, having to wait for the network device to complete the close before reopening the file would be a problem if there isn't a secure way of doing that. 

With Version 19, it appears they have added a check on the reopen where it's failing. When the close completes before the reopen, then all is well. But if it's not complete then the reopen fails, hence the message I get.

GeoffG mentioned that having the source file on a network device could cause undetected corruptions in the file, I believe that I have had some of these in the pass, but none that I was unable to recover from, so I let it stay on the network device. I never considered that these corruptions would have been caused by the files location.

I also realize that Quicken has to manage the data file in a unique manner, has they grow very large files. Mine is 81 MB as has 20 years of data.

Maybe there is no way for the Quicken file management code to safely deal with the file when it located on the network, so this problem will never be solved.

I guess my action would be to write a script to move the file to and from network be opening and closing Quicken. Or maybe I could just share it from the other machines when I need access? I realize I can only have one open on one machine at a time. I'll have to test that.

Thanks for all the leads. 
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

I ran a test this morning with the actual quicken file located in a local folder. It worked correctly (i did it several times to be sure). In some ways that is GOOD news in others it is not so good. 

I have a general rule about Data on my computers, "NO data gets stored on local computer", it all is stored on the NAS device. So I have always had my Quicken file located on my NAS drive (and yes they have warned me about problems doing that). I need to access the file from several machines on my network, so I have always done it that way and never experienced a problem (that I saw). But I can see that timing of closing the file, having to wait for the network device to complete the close before reopening the file would be a problem if there isn't a secure way of doing that. 

With Version 19, it appears they have added a check on the reopen where it's failing. When the close completes before the reopen, then all is well. But if it's not complete then the reopen fails, hence the message I get.

GeoffG mentioned that having the source file on a network device could cause undetected corruptions in the file, I believe that I have had some of these in the pass, but none that I was unable to recover from, so I let it stay on the network device. I never considered that these corruptions would have been caused by the files location.

I also realize that Quicken has to manage the data file in a unique manner, has they grow very large files. Mine is 81 MB as has 20 years of data.

Maybe there is no way for the Quicken file management code to safely deal with the file when it located on the network, so this problem will never be solved.

I guess my action would be to write a script to move the file to and from network be opening and closing Quicken. Or maybe I could just share it from the other machines when I need access? I realize I can only have one open on one machine at a time. I'll have to test that.

Thanks for all the leads. 

Hi @ Roland J Bunten ,

Ideally, the operation is to keep the File in My Documents on a local partition, then you can make changes to the file, and do Manual Backups to the NAS.

Then simply Restore that Backup made to the other computer. and once you work on the file, from that other computer back to the NAS.

Always restore before working on the Data File, when opened, unless opening on the same computer in a row.

As for Syncing from the Computer to the NAS, it already as been done.
    http://www.smartsync.com/

"SmartSync Pro is a universal full-featured solution to back up
    and synchronize data to the local drive, external Flash/USB drive,
    CD/DVD, NAS, network volumes, FTP, WebDAV.
    "

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R21.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.4

Vote:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20022841#Comment_20022841

This discussion has been closed.