cannot install quicken 2019 - says does not meet minimum system requirements

Trying to install Quicken 2019 for Windows on a machine currently running Quicken 2017. It meets the system requirements. The suggestion from 2 years ago is to right click on the installer and check the compatibility tab.However, the downloaded file is called 'quicken.com', right clicking that does not have a compatibility tab.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Where, exactly, are you downloading from? Your account at quicken.com or some other retailer?
    It appears that your browser is not correctly storing the file name with the proper extension.
    IIRC, the downloaded file name should be quicken2018.exe ... never mind the '2018'. During installation the update to the latest 2019 patch level will be downloaded as well.
  • HLTHLT Member
    edited November 2018
    downloaded directly from Quicken.com
  • HLTHLT Member
    edited November 2018
    I'll try it again however.
  • HLTHLT Member
    edited November 2018
    I re-downloaded it, same exact file size came down but this time named quicken2018.exe; ran the installation again, got the same error.
    The compatibility tab is checked 'run this program in compatibility mode for windows XP (service pack 2). 
    The box is dimmed out and I cannot change it.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    There must be some odd setting in your version of Windows (that I've never been able to find out where exactly it comes from) that forces compatibility mode on downloaded files.

Is there a checkmark in the box in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode ..."?
    If so, click to remove the checkmark then click Apply and OK.
    After exiting from Properties right-click the file again and choose "Run as Administrator"

What version Windows are you running? 7+SP1, 8.1, 10? Other?
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Compatibility mode should be unchecked.   What version of Windows?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • HLTHLT Member
    edited November 2018
    running windows 7 professional, service pack 1, the problem is that I cannot uncheck the compatibility mode box.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    HLT said:

running windows 7 professional, service pack 1, the problem is that I cannot uncheck the compatibility mode box.

Select the Change settings for all users button, and change it from there.

Information taken from this post:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/cannot-change-compatibility-mode/0ad8bcf1-9e62-4190-9a3f-1469631ec4c9

See hwbx's comment/answer.
  • HLTHLT Member
    edited November 2018
    The change settings for all users looks like it would work. Before I saw that, I found another workaround based on your comment regarding what windows does with downloaded files.

I downloaded quicken2018.exe from my iMAC and put it on a cloud drive. The compatibility box was unchecked, so I launched the install from the cloud drive. It failed the same way, but I ran it again with the setting as shown below and everything worked.

Appreciate your help!

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    HLT said:

The change settings for all users looks like it would work. Before I saw that, I found another workaround based on your comment regarding what windows does with downloaded files.

I downloaded quicken2018.exe from my iMAC and put it on a cloud drive. The compatibility box was unchecked, so I launched the install from the cloud drive. It failed the same way, but I ran it again with the setting as shown below and everything worked.

Appreciate your help!

I'm glad you got it to work.  But just for reference, you should deselect "Run this program compatibility mode".  You really don't want to run anything in this mode unless it is in fact a old program that doesn't run properly on a new version of Windows.
  • DustyDusty Member
    edited November 2018
    There must be something about downloaded files automatically set to run in compatibility mode. I just had the same issue but turning compatibility mode off allows the Quicken 2019 installer to run properly. I'm running Windows 10 Home and Quicken 2019 downloaded from the link provided by Amazon.