File Copy does not work

Comments

• Stan SimmonsStan Simmons Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

I have also submitted my data file

By file copy - you mean the File Operations Copy...
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Yes. File-->File_Operations-->Copy...
    edited December 2018

Just reinstalled, validated (no issues) and tried File Operations Copy...
    Still getting File NOT copied...

(and I've got to step away from several hours - thanks for the assistance...)
    edited December 2018

@Quicken Sarah: if you are still following this thread @Stan_Simmons is still getting the File Not Copied error with the latest Mondo Patch installed (US version). Apparently, he submitted his data file. Perhaps you can get PD to look at this particular user's issue?
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Arctic Hare  If Stan ran a super validate would that help?  I don't think he has run one yet, because in one of his previous posts he states:

"I've seen reference to Super Validation, but I'm not sure what that is..." 

edited December 2018

In my experience, SuperValidate does overcome the File Not Copied error. This recent issue with File Copy is not the first case of a File Not Copied error; in fact, that error is what caused me to archive my decades old data file and start a new file a couple years ago. But, I digress....

I've yet to see anyone provide a detailed explanation of what SuperValidate does that is different from Validate. I believe that SuperValidate involves a File_Copy procedure. If my theory is correct, @Stan will not be able to complete the SuperValidate procedure.

Let's test my theory...

@Stan: to run a SuperValidate, hold Ctrl+Shft while clicking on Validate (from the menu)

Does the SuperValidate complete or does it also generate a File Not Copied or similar error message?
    edited December 2018

I recommend backing up the data file before attempting a supervalidate
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I believe I ran SuperValidate when I experienced the File NOT copied error and it ran to completion, but did not resolve my issue.  Like you, I started a new file and will archive the current(old) one at the end of this year.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
    edited December 2018

Just completed Super Validation and it ran to completion with no errors.

Attempted Copy and still received File NOT copied...
    edited December 2018

I appreciate all the help.  Looks like I'm in wait mode to see if Quicken comes up with a fix (unless there are other ideas out there).

On the topic of starting a fresh file, any suggestions on how to best get all my old investing transactions into the new file?  My leading thought was to go into each investing account, remove all transactions into the account (i.e., change them to transactions back into the account) and then export the account and import it into the new file...

Any comments on this method or something else I should try?
    edited December 2018

I'm afraid that we've reached the point where official Quicken support is your only hope to get your File Not Copied error resolved. We've attempted everything outside of starting a new file.

When I ran into the same problem as you are currently experiencing, I used the QIF format to export all of my accounts and import them into a new file. At the time, the Canadian version had more QIF functionality than the US version, but I think the current versions have the same (reduced) functionality. The QIF export/import "worked" for me, but I put "worked" in quote marks because it is far from a perfect solution. It causes a lot of what I will call collateral damage. I estimate that I spent at least 40 concerted hours fixing collateral damage. That was still less time/effort than what would have been required had I not imported anything with QIF.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Just to confirm, you are using R16.4?  

If you can find and restore from a backup file that did not touch R15, you might recover. Or more likely, your data file corruption is unrelated to the issue exhibited in R15 and may need further analysis by Quicken. 

If an R14 file does not Copy, try to restore from your oldest available data file to determine if that is even an option. Restoring a file from QIF export/import is a time consuming task.
    edited December 2018

R16.14
    edited December 2018

I've been back over a year and can't find a file that works...  Once I get back that far, it seems easier to just start over.
    edited December 2018

You might want to review the linked post before trying to recover your file which you will likely have to do if Quicken support will not assist with your file.  

A File not Copied error that cleanly passes the validation routines indicates a form of corruption that those routines do not recognize. If you are Not getting Bad Data Blocks errors (which means the data cannot be read and is not recoverable), your file might be repairable if Quicken made the effort to investigate the cause of the Copy error and create a routine to trap and repair the error. That's how they fixed the R15 error.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/i-just-succeeded-in-recreating-my-data-file-usin...
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Starting a new from scratch file is not too bad.  I spent less than 40 hours and relied on the FI downloads to establish a running start.  The typical ~90 days for banks and more for investment accounts.  I did not bring over anything as I want a completely clean file.  Referencing the "old" file for investment costs, categories and current balances was all that was needed.  I would not want to do this regularly, but I did leave behind a good number of old retired accounts and investments.

I'm running parallel until end of year and then archive the old file.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
    edited December 2018

The time and effort required to start a new file depends on many factors, including number of accounts, number and type of connections to FIs, features used (e.g. investments, loans, savings goals, budgets, etc.), personal processes and practices, and the amount of data, settings, etc. you want/need to port to the new file. For some, this could be a quick process; for others it could take 20, 40, 80, 100 or more hours.

For example @GeoffG suggests that more than 90 days of history is typically available for downloads of investment transactions. Well, in Canada, no financial institution (save one, I believe) allows any investment transactions to be downloaded, ever, using any format; in Canada, (with one or very few possible exceptions) all investment transaction entry is manual. Thus, the time and effort involved in creating a new file could be very different for someone is able to download investment data versus someone who is not able to do so. That is only one of many, many examples that make the situation highly variable by user.

A couple of other examples: budgets and savings goals do not port using QIF. Well, the savings goal ports, but not as a savings goal, so it is not a useful port.

If you have excellent download support including investments, you don't use budgets or savings goals, you don't have too many inter-account transfers, etc. then creating a new file might not be too much effort. For me, it was brutal... but, I lived to tell the tale.
    edited December 2018

Oh, and the sheer length of the thread that @markus1957 linked should also be some warning about the potential complexities of creating an new file and porting data from an old file. Not everyone faces all of the possible complexities, but for some it is an arduous process.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I've been back over a year and can't find a file that works...  Once I get back that far, it seems easier to just start over.
    And there lies the fundamental reason why no matter how good your backups are they can't save you from some forms of data file corruption.
    edited December 2018

And there lies the fundamental reason why no matter how good your backups are they can't save you from some forms of data file corruption.
    Uhhhh, ain't that the painful truth. Therefore, in addition to backups, I periodically perform the File-->File_Operations-->File_Copy procedure, if for no other reason than early detection of those evil forms of data file corruption.

Once burned, twice file backed up, copied, and validated ;-)
    edited December 2018

Particularly for those forms of data file corruption that Quicken chooses not to diagnose and determine whether a recovery process can be developed.
  • edited December 2018
    FYI. I've been experiencing the "File NOT Copied" error with R15.18. I just downloaded the Mondo update patch QW27.1.16.14MPatch and executed it so I am now running R16.14. File/Copy now works. My other problem isn't solved but that is a topic for another thread. 
    Thanks for all the help, all of you!
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Hello All,

I just wanted to confirm that the "File Not Copied" error is a bug that has been reported to Development for further investigation and resolution.  

I was able to replicate this error and have provided Development with a copy of one of my personal data files where this error occurs however, if you also have a file that generates the "File Not Copied" error please use the "Report a Problem" to submit a sanitized copy to assist with debugging this issue. (Help tab > Report a Problem)

The error is specific to the data file so the more examples we can provide Development of files where this issue occurs, will help them find the root cause and solution as quickly as possible and a giant "Thank you!!" in advance to all Users willing to share their file with us.  

If submitting a sanitized copy of the data file, please reference Ticket #QWIN-14542 in the subject line or comments section of the submission form.  

Thank you,

Sarah

Sarah,
    I am still getting the File Not Copied error, and the file passes Validation and Super Validation checks. The (Help tab > Report a Problem) method of submitting the sanitized data file is not working. The error message says "Unable to send Error Report to Quicken. Please try again." I've tried for several days. Is there another way to submit a data file for analysis? Thanks.

Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
    edited December 2018

Good news (of sorts, for me at least...).  I finally got a backup to pass File Copy after Super Validation.  It is only 5 months old.  Apparently the data issues are there, but the severity has not climbed to the point where it will not work...  Now to the task of rebuilding the file to present (not a easy as it would seem to be).

For those interested in some of my experience, read on...  Everyone else - thanks for the help.

1. Starting new is a good option unless you have a significant investment history and you want to capture lot level data.  I found that prohibitively time consuming to rebuild (perhaps I missed a way to do it...).

2. Export / Import to build a new file is not practical.  It created more issues than it resolves (mainly blowing up split transaction where some of the transaction goes to categories and some are transfers - i.e., a paycheck) and required going through years of transaction one at a time.

3. Dead is dead!  What I determined (after ~10 hours of testing) is if a file doesn't work after a Super Validation and the 1st Copy attempt, there is no cleaning it up that will get it to work.  Just move on. (others may have experience to refute this)

4. Doing a year end copy creates dead transactions - I found 3 years worth of transfer from paychecks into my 401k account that listed the proper account but when you select Go to Matching Transfer, Q returns a file not found because that paycheck was deleted when a YE was run (for example, in 2015 I ran a YE that removed all the 2014 paychecks from checking account but the investment account still listed the transaction with a category of the checking account). On the good side, it does not seem to be the cause of a File NOT Copied error...

5. There is no direction (outside of a validation report) to determine what the corruption is...

6. Now I find myself unclear if I should ever actually delete an account from my file or what conditions have to be met for it to not cause issues.  The best I can tell, you should not delete an account until all of the transactions have already been removed with a YE operation or manually by converting all transfers to a cash in, cash out set of transactions in both accounts.

Hopefully I'm in the clear and will check much more frequently (with File Copy) to make sure I don't get stuck in this again.
    edited December 2018

Good news (of sorts, for me at least...).  I finally got a backup to pass File Copy after Super Validation.  It is only 5 months old.  Apparently the data issues are there, but the severity has not climbed to the point where it will not work...  Now to the task of rebuilding the file to present (not a easy as it would seem to be).

For those interested in some of my experience, read on...  Everyone else - thanks for the help.

1. Starting new is a good option unless you have a significant investment history and you want to capture lot level data.  I found that prohibitively time consuming to rebuild (perhaps I missed a way to do it...).

2. Export / Import to build a new file is not practical.  It created more issues than it resolves (mainly blowing up split transaction where some of the transaction goes to categories and some are transfers - i.e., a paycheck) and required going through years of transaction one at a time.

3. Dead is dead!  What I determined (after ~10 hours of testing) is if a file doesn't work after a Super Validation and the 1st Copy attempt, there is no cleaning it up that will get it to work.  Just move on. (others may have experience to refute this)

4. Doing a year end copy creates dead transactions - I found 3 years worth of transfer from paychecks into my 401k account that listed the proper account but when you select Go to Matching Transfer, Q returns a file not found because that paycheck was deleted when a YE was run (for example, in 2015 I ran a YE that removed all the 2014 paychecks from checking account but the investment account still listed the transaction with a category of the checking account). On the good side, it does not seem to be the cause of a File NOT Copied error...

5. There is no direction (outside of a validation report) to determine what the corruption is...

6. Now I find myself unclear if I should ever actually delete an account from my file or what conditions have to be met for it to not cause issues.  The best I can tell, you should not delete an account until all of the transactions have already been removed with a YE operation or manually by converting all transfers to a cash in, cash out set of transactions in both accounts.

Hopefully I'm in the clear and will check much more frequently (with File Copy) to make sure I don't get stuck in this again.
    edited December 2018
    I have installed the latest R16.14 mondo patch, but I still get the "File Not Copied" error. Other than that, I am not experiencing any issues at all with Quicken operation or my data accuracy. So, I'm a little confused. Is this a program bug, as Quicken Sarah states above, or is it data file corruption, as everyone else in the thread seems to think? This issue has me worried. Will my data file one day suddenly cease to work?
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
    edited December 2018

There have been instances in the past where an internal data table like Scheduled Reminders, Memorized Payees, Renaming Rules, etc,; cause the file corruption. The validate/copy routines aren't set up to restore every possible data table error. Sometimes in those cases if you delete all entries in the offending table and strip the data file down to as close as possible, transactions only, the file can be recovered.

Copying using the date range can also clear out transactions with corrupted date values.  

I'm mentioning these tricks, and there are likely other steps users have had success with that I've missed, because it's not always as simple as if Copy/Validate doesn't work, the file is toast. Theoretically, the only fatal error that cannot be recovered is a "Bad/Damaged Data Block", the others are just missed by the repair processes or inaccessible for user action. Those "others" if they were investigated by Quicken, may be candidates to develop a repair routine for the error condition.
    edited December 2018

With respect to Lesson Learned #1 above... IMHO, the reason cited is not an exhaustive list of issues that can make starting afresh effort intensive. Neither savings goals nor budgets can be ported using QIF; therefore, if you have much invested in either of those features, recreating those could entail considerable effort. This is still not an exhaustive list. The reasons why starting afresh could be effort intensive vary wildly depending on specific individual circumstances.

W.r.t. #2: Again, this is situation specific. QIF export/import provided a good starting point in my case and other have indicated a similar experience to me. I concur, however, that whether export/import import is feasible or useful will depend on individual specific circumstances.

W.R.T. #4: best practice is simply avoid using YEC.

W.R.T. #6: I suggest that best practice is to never delete an account. An exception is a test account, which doesn't contain any significant or meaningful history.
    edited December 2018

Hello All,

I just wanted to confirm that the "File Not Copied" error is a bug that has been reported to Development for further investigation and resolution.  

I was able to replicate this error and have provided Development with a copy of one of my personal data files where this error occurs however, if you also have a file that generates the "File Not Copied" error please use the "Report a Problem" to submit a sanitized copy to assist with debugging this issue. (Help tab > Report a Problem)

The error is specific to the data file so the more examples we can provide Development of files where this issue occurs, will help them find the root cause and solution as quickly as possible and a giant "Thank you!!" in advance to all Users willing to share their file with us.  

If submitting a sanitized copy of the data file, please reference Ticket #QWIN-14542 in the subject line or comments section of the submission form.  

Thank you,

Sarah

Sarah,
    I was ultimately able to submit a sanitized data file via the Help >> Report a Problem tab. I am running ver 16.14, and this problem still persists, My file Validation and Super Validation results are clean.

Has this issue been fixed in Mondo patch 16.14? There is no reference to it in the release notes.

I only keep 1 months worth of backups, so I don't have a backup file that I can restore from before the problem began.
  • greenjoegreenjoe Member
    edited December 2018
    I am having the same problem with "File Not Copied" error. I just tried to send a sanitized copy but my file must be too big. Sorry to say my history goes back to 1992. I am ultimately trying to do a "Year End Copy" to cut down on my file size. I would hate to create a new file.
This discussion has been closed.