Need accurate investment cash flow forecast

I have a mixed portfolio of time deposits, bonds, funds, and equities with dividends.  What I need is to be able to forecast my investment income cash flow by time period (monthly). 

I have seen suggestions about entering data in the Additional Security Information section of each security, but that is an annual figure without timing - payments could be monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual.  At a minimum, the Additional Security Information would need to include dates and frequency. 
The closest I can come now is to use a retrospective report that shows investment income for the past 12 months.  That gives me a ballpark, but it is looking backwards, not using current investments.
Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If that's your #1 requirement ... you need to be looking for another product.

Scheduled, future dated, transactions MIGHT help you ... but I doubt that they'd be sufficient for your needs.

AND, Q is primarily rearward looking ...  that's the nature of an accounting-oriented package.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • edited December 2018
    I'm not exactly sure if what I am doing would meet your cirteria but what I do is use are REMINDERS.  In you case it would be INCOME REMINDERS.

I "ASSuME" that you are using brokerage accounts.  There; once you enter the "To Account" you can select Deposit/Dividend/Interst.

You can select the frequency "Due Next On".

I'd think that might get you pretty close to what you are looking for.

As far as getting the forward looking... I haven't ventured to far down that road but I might again ASSuME that you might find something in the PLANNING (budgeting) arnea that suites you needs. 
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I set up Income reminders for almost all of my securities.  With the help of reports from my bank and my investment manager, I was able to set them up.  The only ones I couldn't set income reminders for was for ones that had variable income.  I then future post up to any period I need.  I works well and the income reminders are pretty accurate.  Currently I have all income posted to the end of this year, and have already done preliminary taxes for this year. 
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    One way to handle this situation is to set up your investments so that they pay their income to the settlement fund at your broker, not directly to your checking account. Then tell the broker to transfer a set amount each month to your checking account. You can schedule this transaction in Quicken so that it knows how much to expect each month. Keep an eye on the settlement account to make sure it is not filling up or getting empty.

This has the further advantage of evening out your "income" for budgeting and spending purposes.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
    edited November 2018

One way to handle this situation is to set up your investments so that they pay their income to the settlement fund at your broker, not directly to your checking account. Then tell the broker to transfer a set amount each month to your checking account. You can schedule this transaction in Quicken so that it knows how much to expect each month. Keep an eye on the settlement account to make sure it is not filling up or getting empty.

This has the further advantage of evening out your "income" for budgeting and spending purposes.

Why not just transfer the money yourself?  If you have your broker or bank do it, they may charge a fee.  I set up monthly transfers reminders, through Quicken and my bank.  I future date the transfers and can make adjustments to the transfers as needed. 
    edited November 2018

In my case there is no fee for the transfer, having it go automatically means one less thing to do each month and it happens like a paycheck, even if I am traveling.

If the checking account runs low, I just make an extra transfer.
    edited November 2018

Ok its what I do also.  Sorry, I misunderstood your post.
  • WaleedWaleed Member
    edited November 2018

Scheduled, future dated, transactions MIGHT help you ... but I doubt that they'd be sufficient for your needs.

AND, Q is primarily rearward looking ...  that's the nature of an accounting-oriented package.

That is a pretty limited view.  I use Quicken to manage my financial life, not do accounting, for which there are packages.  Quicken is personal financial software, and mostly takes care of what I need.  Have been using it since DOS days.  As baby boomers age, the need to manage non-employment income and budgets is just getting more and more common.
  • WaleedWaleed Member
    edited November 2018

I'm not exactly sure if what I am doing would meet your cirteria but what I do is use are REMINDERS.  In you case it would be INCOME REMINDERS.

I "ASSuME" that you are using brokerage accounts.  There; once you enter the "To Account" you can select Deposit/Dividend/Interst.

As far as getting the forward looking... I haven't ventured to far down that road but I might again ASSuME that you might find something in the PLANNING (budgeting) arnea that suites you needs. 

Thanks.  That sounds like an interesting work-around. I really wish this could all be handled during the purchase of a security/bond/fund in the buy dialogue so that it became automatically added to a cash flow forecast.  I don't need approximate, smoothed out budget numbers, I need to know how much cash will be available on any given date.
    edited November 2018

My response is "the way that it is".  Sorry that you don't like reality.

And, your last sentence is a total non-sequitur ... as I'm a retired Boomer.
  • edited November 2018

Well... you can do it all at once...there are just several steps.... :-)

I hope you get Quicken to do it your way as they are done doing it my way... :-)
    edited November 2018
    Further thoughts on the "Est. Annual Income" setup in the Security details > Other info:

It is annoying that you have to set this manually, but at least it is in terms of $/share. That way if you buy or sell shares, the estimated income adjusts automatically. Also if you hold the same security in more than one account you only have to enter the data once.

For many securities, it is difficult to predict what the annual income will be, and even harder to predict when you will receive it. For example, many mutual funds distribute income quarterly, but the December distribution is much larger than the others.

Quicken's quote provider appears to just look at the most recent distribution and multiply by 4 if it is quarterly. That works OK for individual stocks and bonds but limits its usefulness for mutual funds.
    edited November 2018

I should have said "Then set up an automatic transfer of a set amount to your checking account each month" 

I find it useful to maintain a mental boundary between my investing and spending accounts. This seems to be Quicken's philosophy also, and the division of the two account groups helps to reinforce this.
    edited November 2018

I know exactly what you mean.
  • WaleedWaleed Member
    edited December 2018

What is the point of having a community if you can't request features or ask for suggestions? 

For those deriving income from dividend stocks, REITS, bonds and time deposits, cash flow is directly linked to scheduled payments with predictable amounts. 

I currently have to enter each instrument in Quicken, then duplicate those entries in a spreadsheet in order to create the cashflow forecast. 

This is no different from budgeting or scheduling bills and pay cheques, it is just not accommodated currently in Quicken.
    edited December 2018

Waleed, your idea is a good one.  I have the same need to forecast income.  I have found a way that works  for me as I described below.  This is a good group.  But it seems like most of the super users here have more of a technical knowledge of Quicken, than a practical one.  Don't let one person's comments sway you from asking questions, or providing your insights.
    edited December 2018

ALL of the SuperUsers have been actual USERS for Q for 20+ years.  How much more "practical knowledge" do you want?

In addition to the practical knowledge (every day working with it for our own finances), we're also longtime veterans of the IT industry, accountants, Audit VP's, etc.

(Argumentative portion redacted)
    edited December 2018

I refuse to argue with you.  There are some really good knowledgeable super users here.  It's all in delivery and knowing your audience.  I am here to learn and share knowledge when I can.  I retired when I was 55, and Quicken certainly played a part in making it possible.  If anything I would like to "give back" and share my experience so that others can benefit as well.
    edited December 2018

BTW, I saw the "redacted" portion of your e-mail.
    edited December 2018
    If you want to request a feature, it is best to post it as an Idea with as much detail as possible. These are supposed to be reviewed by the developers for consideration as enhancements. Other users can vote for the ideas they think are most important.

Have you looked into setting up Income Reminders for these transactions as PutterFlutters and SimonSezSo suggest below? These should work well if the income is reasonably constant and is not reinvested. At the bottom of the Investment Transaction list (register) click on Bill and Income Reminders and then Add and follow the directions.

Unfortunately I don't see a way to include the amounts in these reminders in the Projected Balances on the Bills and Income tab, because that is restricted to spending accounts. Perhaps if you have your investment account set up with a linked checking account it will work, or you can schedule a monthly transfer to your checking account as I have suggested.
    edited December 2018
    I don't do this because I don't include investing accounts in my budget (only the monthly transfer to my checking account) , but you might give the following a try:

Once you have set up the Reminders for investing income, you can use Quicken's budget for forecasting the income. Under Budget Actions, make sure that the appropriate investing accounts are included in your budget and also the categories _DivInc and _IntInc as appropriate under Personal Income.

The Reminder totals will show in blue under ACTUAL for future months. You can click on the blue numbers to see what transactions create them.

Pretty cool, eh? 
    edited December 2018
    Note if you are including investing income in your budget, you you must be careful not to double-count it if you are also budgeting transfers from the investing account to a spending account.
This discussion has been closed.