Citibank download created duplicate transactions, fail to match auto or manually

My Citi credit card transactions were not downloading, per the recent thread citing a 505 error. Since Citi fixed the problem on their end, Quicken Premier for Windows (R5.18 Build 27.1.15.18) downloaded transactions from early September to present.  I had previously downloaded through Nov. 12.  Now I have a bunch of newly re-downloaded transactions that match previously downloaded ones but which present as new ones.  "Match manually" does not find these, probably because the transactions already in the register are marked "c" for Cleared.

1. This is a bug.

2. Is there a faster workaround than clicking the Edit button beside each new transaction and choosing to Delete it?  Is there a way to select these and delete them all at once, instead of deleting each of the 124 transactions in this state one at a time?

Comments

• SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Try this.  It is easier to get rid of the "c" in your register in mass.  Highlight the same transactions in your register that are in your pending Accept box.  You can do this by holding down your ctrl key and clicking on each item, or you can highlight the first item in the list and scroll down to the last one, then hold down your shift key and click on the last item in the list.  This will highlight the whole list.  Then right click on the highlighted items and choose "Reconcile Status" and click on "Not reconciled".  Once all of the items items no longer have the "c", you should see "Matched" by the pending items in your Accept box, instead of "New".  If this does not work, then I think you have no choice but to delete each one individually.
  • S HarrisonS Harrison Member
    edited November 2018

Try this.  It is easier to get rid of the "c" in your register in mass.  Highlight the same transactions in your register that are in your pending Accept box.  You can do this by holding down your ctrl key and clicking on each item, or you can highlight the first item in the list and scroll down to the last one, then hold down your shift key and click on the last item in the list.  This will highlight the whole list.  Then right click on the highlighted items and choose "Reconcile Status" and click on "Not reconciled".  Once all of the items items no longer have the "c", you should see "Matched" by the pending items in your Accept box, instead of "New".  If this does not work, then I think you have no choice but to delete each one individually.

That was a good idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I wonder if having the existing entries marked as Uncleared might have prevented the New-not-really transactions from showing up as new items to review.  (If I were a Quicken tester, I'd try that.)  Thanks for trying to help.
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Manually changing the "C" to a NULL entry in the Reconciled Status field does not remove the associated Downloaded ID (normally a hidden field in the register), which is what Quicken uses to identify a previously downloaded transaction. The reason that Quicken sees the duplicate transactions as unique is because they have each been assigned unique Downloaded ID's. Your bank is at fault for a given transaction getting a new, non-unique Downloaded ID (unless the Downloaded ID begins with the word INTUIT, in which case the Downloaded ID was assigned by the Intuit aggregation server, and in which case is non-unique because the Citi bank issue caused the aggregation server to treat the transaction as new).

The FAQ provided below uses a different process, which is unaffected by Downloaded ID, to bulk delete the duplicate transactions. I recommend following the procedure in the FAQ.
    edited November 2018

Sorry it didn't work.  Well it was worth a try.  I've done it several times and it worked for me.  Maybe it was a different situation.
    edited December 2018
    Question for the Quicken developers: Why not let a user select multiple entries in the Downloaded Transactions list and delete them?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Question for the Quicken developers: Why not let a user select multiple entries in the Downloaded Transactions list and delete them?

No developer will answer here, so I will answer based on the history.

It was tried, as in extending the capabilities of the Downloaded Transactions tab to allow multiple select.

It failed in beta.  For whatever reason they couldn't make it work right.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that the Downloaded Transactions tab is in fact a mistake.  Of course every other SuperUser will disagree with me, but using automatic transaction entry mode works just fine for me, and I have all the flexibility of the account register to work with instead of being limited to the functionality in the Downloaded Transactions tab.

And as example of this using your own use case.  The way I would remove these duplicates is Sort by the "Status/blue dot" column which will put all of the transactions marked as New together.  Then I would just select them (being sure not to include ones that are really new) and the right click and delete them

I have had to do this quite a few times with Express Web Connect accounts takes me about 15 seconds to do it.
    edited November 2018

QPW  - I would like to try using the Automatic Transaction Entry.  Do I need to use it for all accounts or will it work with just one (at least to test it out). 
    edited November 2018

Thanks @QPW.  I've been using Quicken since the 90s, and I suspect their code base is a frankenstein mess of legacy parts.  It's not a simple app by any stretch, and a full rewrite would be expensive.  I wish they would put more time into usability studies and quality code.  Now that they have us on the hook with a subscription model, one would think they might find the will and the funds to improve quality.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

SimonSezSo

You can control it per account.
    There is of course the global settings (one for non investment accounts, and one for investments accounts)

But these can be overridden by going into the account details -> Online Services tab.

There you will an "Automatic entry:..." link click on it to override the default.

A couple of notes.  The automatic entry mode in the investment accounts is more "problematic".  If a transaction comes down that needs "interaction" like asking what lots to sale, it might get "stuck" in the hidden "Downloaded Transactions tab" and you will have to disable automatic transactions mode to see them  You will know if you see a red flag.

When you enable this mode you are switching from Accepting the transactions into the register, to Reviewing the new transactions in the register.  You will get a Status column which will have icons (and if you expand it, text).  New transactions have the status of New (blue dot icon) or New Match (blue pencil).  Red pencil manually entered transaction that hasn't cleared yet.

You click on this icon to get a menu to mark it Reviewed.  You can select to mark all transactions reviewed.  This is "possible" in a way that it isn't for Accept All.  Since all of the transactions are in the register and have already got their categories selected, you can scan them and see if they are all correct before marking them all reviewed, or do it one at a time.  Note there was a change that slows some of this down that hopefully they will change back.  Before if you changed a transaction and saved it it would automatically mark it reviewed.  It doesn't do that any more.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/action-buttons-blue-dots

For a manual match the amount of the transaction in the register has to be exactly the same as the downloaded one.  So you would change that if needed, and then click on its "red pencil" and select to manual match.  Most likely the only transaction in the list will be the right one and you can just select OK.

"Automatic Reconcile" and "Automatic transaction entry mode"  "don't mix".
    Automatic reconcile is only concerned with the amounts not the categories, and it will clear all for the New/New Match statuses if the reconcile passes.

You can still reconcile to the Online Balance if you like, but do it after you have reviewed your transactions using Ctrl+R.

Good luck.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

S Harrison Totally agree!
    edited November 2018

Thanks QPW  I am going to have to think about going to Automatic Transaction Entry.  I like to reconcile each time I do OSU, so doing Automatic Entry may not be for me. 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

In reality I customize my action tool bar to have the reconcile on it, after reviewing the transactions I click on it and then Done in the reconcile dialog.

Don't really see what the big deal is, about that kicking off automatically after accepting the last transaction into the register, and it pressing Done for you (You can even see the dialog come up).

But to each his won.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

BTW I have all preferences set so that none of the "guessing functions" for getting the categories are on, if the renaming rules/memorized payees don't get the category it comes up with a blank category.

The only manual transactions I have are checks and scheduled reminders.

And I download daily so I don't have a lot of transactions to look at so in reality all I'm scanning for is if there is a transaction without a category or one that I need to correct the one entered by a scheduled reminder that isn't exactly the right amount.

So my current process I don't even use the "select status icon/mark reviewed", instead I review them, make the above changes, select the Reconcile button, and select Done (provided I didn't make any mistake of course).

I really just mentioned the "marked as reviewed" because that was what most people feel better about doing, and because for a time I didn't trust reconciling to the online balance and only did when my statements came in.  But now I love it.

I can't see how people think clicking on one transaction at a time in the Downloaded Transactions tab to see what the category it is going to assign, or what it it matched, is better.  And really don't get how people think entering every one of their transactions manually and matching them is better.

There are as many potential problems with matching than there (or more) than are with any other way of doing this process, with a whole lot less work.

In fact I believe minimize matching should be the goal since it isn't something that Quicken is really good at.
This discussion has been closed.