Changed starting date manually, now need to download missing transactions

I set up an account to start 4/1/2018, later decided i wanted to start 1/1/2018.  I found and changed the opening balance date and amount, but I can't get Quicken to download transactions between 1/1 and 4/1 .  I did the same thing on another account and found a key sequence on GetSatisfaction that allowed me to tell Quicken about the new account start date. Once I did that, Quicken downloaded the missing transactions and all was good.

But I can't find that key sequence now.  Can someone help?

I'm using Quicken Premier for Windows 2019 R15.18 build 27.1.15.18.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Not sure what sequence you might be referring to, but see this FAQ: FAQ - Download old transactions 
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• AndrewAndrew Member
    edited December 2018
    And note the big caveat "The financial institution (FI) decides how far back to go with the initial download, usually 60-90 days. ".   It is totally up to the FI to determine how far back they allow d/l to occur.  As Mick says, "You can't always get what you want."

• Bert OnstottBert Onstott Member
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

Not sure what sequence you might be referring to, but see this FAQ: FAQ - Download old transactions 

Hmm,. Not sure how much clearer I could be.  The financial institution is Fidelity investments.  It supports ExpressConnect.  I downloaded transactions starting 1/1/2018 after initially setting it up to start 4/1/2018 by using that elusive keystroke combination in the Account List.  Now I want to do the same for another Fidelity account.  Should have written the keystroke combination down.
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

And note the big caveat "The financial institution (FI) decides how far back to go with the initial download, usually 60-90 days. ".   It is totally up to the FI to determine how far back they allow d/l to occur.  As Mick says, "You can't always get what you want."

Fidelity will let me download the transactions back to the beginning of the year.  But One Step Update doesn't look that far back, even after changing the opening balance to 1/1/2018.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

NO, Fidelity Investments supports DIRECT CONNECT.  And only Direct Connect.  There's no "Download to Quicken" option on Fido's webpage.

The method described in splasher's FAQ requires Web Connect, which Fido doesn't support.

BTW, there's no such animal as "Express Connect".  Do you mean "Express WEB Connect"?  Fido doesn't support that either.

Here's the FIDIR.TXT info, in Q, for connecting to Fido:

Fidelity Investments    http://www.Fidelity.com    (800) 544-7931    http://personal.fidelity.com/misc/partners/quicken/disclaimer.shtml    ACTIVE    ACCOUNTINFO,INVESTMENT&DIRECT    

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

Fidelity, and Fidelity alone, determines how far back a download, initiated from within Q, can go. 30-90 days is customary ... although some allow a longer period.
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

That is not true.  When you set up the account you can select the starting date.  Once you choose it Quicken will not look for transactions prior to that date.  But there is a way to select a different, earlier, date (I know - I've done it).   I just need to know what the keystroke combination is to change the start date for Quicken.
  • AndrewAndrew Member
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

No Bert, that *is* true.  The FI has control over how far back that downloaded transactions will occur.  There may very well be a keystoke that gets more, and NotACPA said that a longer period than the 30-90 customary days might be available...but it IS up to the FI, and not every transaction from the very beginning of your account (esp if open for years) is going to be available/
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

The max is no doubt set by Fidelity.  I know that Fidelity allows it back to at least 1/1/2018.  But Quicken doesn't go back that far, since when I set up the account i told it 4/1/2018.  So the oldest date is not "solely set by the financial institution".  There is a way to reset 4/1/2018 to 1/1/2018 so Quicken will look back that far for transactions to download. I just don't remember how.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

You are probably thinking of resetting the DTSTART parameter. You can find this in the Online Center by clicking CTRL-Contact Info.

The problem is that Fidelity appears to be using the beginning of time as DTSTART. Many of my accounts show recent dates, but none of my Fidelity accounts do.

You could try playing with this in a *copy* of your file if you are in the mood to poke at stuff. If it works, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

Thank you!  Yes, that's what I was looking for.  It does work! 
  • AndrewAndrew Member
    edited December 2018
    Just add a point of reference, 9 months ago Quickrn Harold in another thread wrote: "When you initially setup Quicken to download transactions, most banks will provide the last 90 days of transactions.

Depending on which bank that you are using, you should be able to go online through their eBranch and download previous transactions beyond the 90 days."

I'm still not convinced Quickrn had anything to do with how far *back* you can get the data , since that data is not theirs.

At any rate, since the new year is right around the corner, good time to start now! Peace.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

That maybe what you are looking for, BUT that can not be set/changed until after an account is created and the initial download is totally at the FI's discretion.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

The thing to know is that when Quicken makes its first request for transactions when you are adding an account it sets the DTSTART to a time way in the past.  Which means that what is sent is totally up to the financial institution.
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

@Bert, you still need to explain/describe HOW you think Fidelity provides any download ability other than Direct Connect.

Perhaps, are you talking about Fidelity Net Benefits ... or something else other than "https://www.fidelity.com/" ?

edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

@Bert, you still need to explain/describe HOW you think Fidelity provides any download ability other than Direct Connect.

Perhaps, are you talking about Fidelity Net Benefits ... or something else other than "https://www.fidelity.com/" ?

• Andrew - I didn't see all your responses, sorry.

As I recall, when you set up the account it asks what starting date you want, but I could be wrong.

In any case, after the account is set up, at least with Fidelity brokerage accounts, going to Online Center and clicking CTRL-Contact-Info as suggested by RocketJ allowed me to set the account starting date to 1/1/2018 after which a one step update downloaded all missing transactions and reconciled those transactions since that date as well. In fact, I just did it again today for anther Fidelity account. Works fine.