Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

Transactions not showing in budget

Under my bank and credit card accounts, I categorize my transactions so I can track them in the budget I created. However, most of my transactions are not showing up in my budget. The name is the same and the category is included in the budget. For example, “Health & Fitness: Doctor” is categorized in the all transaction screen, but that same transaction is not appearing in the budget. This is happening in a lot of different categories as well. I am sure to click save after I categorize a transaction. Why is this happening and how do I fix it? This is a very simple feature within Quicken and should not be giving me this much trouble!

I have called the technical support 3 times and have not gotten any answers.

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Can you provide a screenshot of the budget showing the issue?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Also please let us know which version of Quicken you are using (year and release). Any answer given for one version may not apply to the others.

How to attach image snapshots to Community posts
    (Windows or Mac)

Sometimes a picture
    is worth a thousand words ...

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

Also please let us know which version of Quicken you are using (year and release). Any answer given for one version may not apply to the others.

How to attach image snapshots to Community posts
    (Windows or Mac)

Sometimes a picture
    is worth a thousand words ...

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

I have Release 15. 18
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

as you can see, the transactions labeled gift are not showing up 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

the uber is also not showing up, but the screenshot is not showing it (because it is further down on the budget) 
    edited May 13

The screenshot provided for All Transactions looks odd.  You have redacted most of the accounts, but what I would expect under "Account" would be your checking account and or credit card accounts.  The savings account appears normal, but transfers can be excluded from budgets.

So what is the account structure you have set up?  While this list in nowhere near exhaustive, you should have at least one checking account with optional savings, credit card accounts.

As a test: enter $1000 in your checking account to the Home: Rent category and hit enter.  You should see that flow immediately to the budget.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

I do have a checking account, it just listed as a name I customized, the "gas and car" account. Also, there are credit card accounts, for example, the amazon and lyft transactions are from credit card. 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

the test worked, but why is it not working for existing transactions? That is the part I care about most because I like the feature of quicken to be able to easily categorize things without manually entering them. 
    edited May 13

"Typically" the checking/savings and for that matter with the exception of asset accounts, all accounts would be named after the financial institutions.  So I have two checking accounts, PNC Checking and Citibank Checking as named.

It's your setup and I'm not telling you how to configure, but that may be adding to your confusion.

By default, not every category is going to show in the budget.  On the screenshot you provided for budget on the the lower left, you need to select the "Select categories to budget" and check every category that may be missing.  In your case, you should see "gas and car" as a spending account.
    edited May 13

"Typically" the checking/savings and for that matter with the exception of asset accounts, all accounts would be named after the financial institutions.  So I have two checking accounts, PNC Checking and Citibank Checking as named.

It's your setup and I'm not telling you how to configure, but that may be adding to your confusion.

By default, not every category is going to show in the budget.  On the screenshot you provided for budget on the the lower left, you need to select the "Select categories to budget" and check every category that may be missing.  In your case, you should see "gas and car" as a spending account.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

I tried the same test of entering something in manually in my credit card account, but that did not flow into the budget. image
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

all of the categories that should be included in the budget already are. gas and car is the name of the checking account, not the category 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

OH I SEE what you mean, you are correct, the credit card was not selected to be part of the budget. YOU ARE AMAZING thank you 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 13

Note that the latest version of Quicken allows filtering the budget by
    accounts, so you have to make sure you include the ones you want:
    Budget Actions -> Select accounts...

By default though they should all be selected unless you deselected some.
This discussion has been closed.