delete bill reminder

Using version 2017.  I have a bill reminder that I cannot delete. Followed instructions to copy and validate file.  Receive error message, "file not copied".

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Have you tried doing the Validate (and if the instructions you have include it) a Supervalidate directly against the active Quicken data file?
    If File / File Operations / Copy fails with "File not copied", that usually means there's serious damage in the file structure. And that usually means the file is toast and you have to restore from a backup that does not exhibit this problem.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    The File not copied issue is a known bug introduced with one of the latest releases.  It is a data file corruption that may or may not get resolved by Quicken in a future release (fingers crossed).  I also have this issue. 

As to your issue with deleting the bill minder, what steps have you attempted to delete and what was the outcome (error message, etc.).
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • Tony WinsteadTony Winstead Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

The File not copied issue is a known bug introduced with one of the latest releases.  It is a data file corruption that may or may not get resolved by Quicken in a future release (fingers crossed).  I also have this issue. 

As to your issue with deleting the bill minder, what steps have you attempted to delete and what was the outcome (error message, etc.).

I attempted to copy the file and "then" to validate it.  Can I validate without copying?  Do I need to restore from a prior back up-file?  If so, I wonder how far back.
  • Tony WinsteadTony Winstead Member
    edited December 2018
    UKR said:

Have you tried doing the Validate (and if the instructions you have include it) a Supervalidate directly against the active Quicken data file?
    If File / File Operations / Copy fails with "File not copied", that usually means there's serious damage in the file structure. And that usually means the file is toast and you have to restore from a backup that does not exhibit this problem.

I attempted to validate based on instructions in this forum which directed that I first copy the file.  Can I validate without copying?  If I choose to restore is there a rule of thumb as to how far back to go?
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

Yes you can validate without the File copy, but I believe this is a serious corruption issue.  When you perform a File>File Operations>File copy.. Quicken is not just doing a Windows file copy.  It is rebuilding the database and providing file integrity checking.

I would suggest restoring back as far as needed until you can successfully perform a File>File Operations>File copy. The alternative is to create a new file from scratch, which is the route I went since the affected backups took me too far back.  I will use the old file for reference, but use the new file going forward.

Also, I would suggest not using any mobile/web app implementation.  I can't say for certain that caused the issue, but I cannot control what variables that interface may introduce.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
    edited January 27
    The next release (R16.14) has corrected the File NOT copied bug and will become available soon.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

The next release (R16.14) has corrected the File NOT copied bug and will become available soon.

Note that R16.14 is available for manual downloading right now from:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows

But that isn't going to help Tony Winstead since he is using Quicken 2017, and the patch is for the "Subscription Release of Quicken"
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

BTW I love how the release notes don't mention this fix.
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

Aside question - I was updated to 16.14 early last week.  I did not manually update.  It seems I was updated early.  I am not complaining, but just curious how that happened?  Quicken is working great for me.  And I would gladly volunteer for  "beta" updates.
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

Seems you already are a beta tester, since that version was just released. ; )
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

Well, I did sign up to be a beta tester, but haven't yet done so.  I was afraid of "disrupting" my copy of Quicken.  After some discussion, I decided to install a copy of Quicken on a separate laptop I don't use anymore , and then start beta testing actively.  But getting releases early is not an issue for me, and I would gladly install  them on my "production" Quicken.  If anything does happen, I will certainly give feedback. 
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

I really was referencing Quicken’s use of staged version roll outs. The beta tester was meant as tongue in cheek. As you were one of the first to get the update.
  • MKMK Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

I am showing release version 17.4 but still have the issues described here.
  • MKMK Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

My auto reminder entry is not working as well.  I have two lines that show done that I cannot delete.  Auto entry looks like it tries to work because the day it is to update, Auto in bill reminder goes from blue to red.  I can then highlight the line and hit enter at the top of the list and it will enter it.  Certainly not auto like it use to be.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

MK,
    please don't confuse Release numbers that are being mentioned here in this discussion.
    As of today, 12/14/18, your 17.4 applies to Quicken 2017 US version
    Other numbers are:
    16.14 applies to Quicken 2018/2019 aka "subscription version"
    18.4   applies to Quicken 2016

A fix released for the 2019 subscription version of Quicken may not have been retrofitted and released to older versions ... and may never be fixed in older versions, even though they are still supported.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    I also use Quicken 2017 and have noticed this issue being reported frequently across many versions.  I was going to say I don't have this problem, but I haven't had a need to delete a reminder in a long time, so maybe I just don't know yet.  I can however make a copy of my data file.

I was wondering if the problem reminder otherwise behaves normally, that is, can it be skipped or edited.  If it can be successfully modified, will Quicken allow you to then delete it afterwards.

If it can be modified I was thinking I would change the due date to far in the future to place it at the end of the list making it less annoying.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • MKMK Member
    edited December 2018
    It is two reminders that are marked done that I can not edit or delete.  Also, my auto entries do not auto enter.  I can edit those but when I do they still will not do an auto enter.  I chatted with Quicken and they said they are aware of the bill reminder issue.  Said they were working on getting a fix out as soon as they can.  No specific time frame.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    MK Thanks for the reply.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • MKMK Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

Thank you for the information.
  • MKMK Member
    edited December 2018
    GeoffG said:

If I have to restore back for over a month or more that would be an enormous amount of work to enter everything for that period.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    MK,
    I can't guarantee that the following procedure will fix your problem with messed up "Done" reminders in your Q 2017, but it won't hurt to give it a try. I don't know if it will ever be resolved in Q 2017, but it's my understanding that it was fixed in 2018/19

Validate

Validate your
    Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file, skip directly to the last
    step.

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action (delete "Done" reminder if it still exists) again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

• MKMK Member
    edited December 2018
    Thank you for your suggestion.  I get a message, file not copied.  Looks like others have had that as an issue also.