Quicken Version Year

SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
edited January 22 in Before you Buy
I have been confused by people here posting with a 2018 when describing what version of Quicken they use.  Is there really a Quicken 2018?  In October of this year, I was automatically updated to 2019 prior to renewing my subscription.  So, I was under the impression that everyone else would be automatically updated to 2019 as well, regardless of their subscription status?  Also, if 2018 still exists, would there be any difference between them?  If not, why do they still use the version year?

Comments

• edited December 2018
    O solo quiero saber si Quicken puede darme la tarjeta Mastercard o no ya saben que no tengo #SS ni un ITIIN
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    There wouldn't be any difference.  In fact if you are buying from a retailer and can fine "Quicken 2018" for cheaper than "Quicken 2019" go for it.  This is all just "marketing" that hasn't really caught up with what should we call it to attract new people kind of thing.

If you look at the manual update page they have already taken my suggestion and started calling it Subscription Release of Quicken
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW  I figured as much.  Even though I was updated to 2019 prior to renewing my subscription, I went to Sam's Club and bought a 2 year subscription (2018) for less than half the price of one year directly through Quicken.  When I went back a month later, they didn't have any "2018", only "2019" which was only a one year subscription.  I could kick myself for not going back sooner to get another "2018".
    edited December 2018

O solo quiero saber si Quicken puede darme la tarjeta Mastercard o no ya saben que no tengo #SS ni un ITIIN

You would need to ask Quicken Support that question.  I don't know if they will give you a Quicken Mastercard, without a Social Security Number or TIN.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The year is purely a marketing tool.  You will find that I try to refer to it as "subscription Quicken" and if I use a year, it is 2018+.

For Quicken officials to say there is no longer a year version of Q in offical announcements by the President and then to put a year in the marketing material is pure stupidity to me.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited December 2018

QPW  I figured as much.  Even though I was updated to 2019 prior to renewing my subscription, I went to Sam's Club and bought a 2 year subscription (2018) for less than half the price of one year directly through Quicken.  When I went back a month later, they didn't have any "2018", only "2019" which was only a one year subscription.  I could kick myself for not going back sooner to get another "2018".

They had to get rid of the inventory with the outdated marketing nomenclature, so it was marked down rather than eating the manufacturing costs completely.

edited December 2018

I had a strong feeling I should go back and buy another one.  Darn it.  Even so, I would pay "full" price if I needed to.  
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Note this is a "co branded" Mastercard which is actually issued by US Bank.
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181128005169/en/Introducing-Quicken%C2%AE-World-Mastercard-Credit-Card-Built

Quicken support can be found here:
    http://quicken.com/contact-support
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

The year is purely a marketing tool.  You will find that I try to refer to it as "subscription Quicken" and if I use a year, it is 2018+.

For Quicken officials to say there is no longer a year version of Q in offical announcements by the President and then to put a year in the marketing material is pure stupidity to me.

Thanks, and that's why I say "latest version of Quicken", as I always have the software with the latest updates.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Back to the original question, wouldn't someone posting that they use Quicken 2018, have an expired subscription that was never updated with the 2019 features?
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Back to the original question, wouldn't someone posting that they use Quicken 2018, have an expired subscription that was never updated with the 2019 features?

Well people might post that, but that isn't what is really going to be the exact situation, at least not as it sits right now.

Granted whenever their membership expires I guess they will not get any more automatic updates, but the manual ones will still work.

But even more to the point it doesn't matter what "year" is showing on their Help -> About Quicken, as much as what version.  That is really going to dictate what is and isn't available to them.
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

They could have a current subscription and just refused the updates when offered and still be on Q2018.  They could have not checked the version level lately and just think they still are on 2018.  The variations of what could be are countless.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

BTW if they would report the full version number not just the Rxx.xxx part then you would have it all pinned down and wouldn't have to ask.

I think it was a poor judgement call to have both:
    R15.18 and 27.1.15.18, the later tells you everything you need to know.

R15.18 usually has to grouped with something like the year or "subscription" or such to be sure of what they are really running.
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Yes, and what makes it more confusing is that  my Quicken was updated to 2019 before my 2018 subscription expired.  That's what made me think that 2018 didn't exist anymore.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

BTW given the full version number also tells you if you are dealing with Windows or Mac.
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Also, regarding SimonSezSo's comment about purchasing a leftover 2018 version at Sam's Club, would you still get a full 2yr subscription with that, commencing at the time of activation?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Yes, you the subscription starts when you activate it, using the activation code provided.  Note if you buy from Quicken.com it is activated immediately.

Also if you have an active subscription and use another activation code, that extends the subscription.

The "term of service" is no longer tied to the "release date".
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

So as SimonSezSo says, you can get a discounted price for the same period by buying an older version, no?
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

QPW:Good to know.
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

You are buying a license for a given number of months, not a specific "year" of the program.

edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

splasher:  So, what you're saying is, if I buy an an outdated version of Quicken such as something labelled as 2018, at a discounted price, as SimonSezSo said, I can activate it, and immediately get upgraded to the 2019 version and enjoy two years of a subscription service, is that correct?
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Rich M, I don't want to answer for

splasher, but in my own case I was already updated to 2019 when I purchased the 2 year subscription for 2018.  I did not use the installation CD, just the Activation number that was with the CD.  All I did was go to "Enter Activation Code" and enter the code.  My subscription was extended 2 years from my expiration date, even thought I entered the code 5 days before my expiration date.  Also, my download section in my Quicken account was updated with the new download 2019.  Just as

splasher said, you are buying a license for a given number of months.  Which makes perfect sense.

But I think the "2018" versions are no longer in the stores, I think they all have been replaced by the "2019" versions.  At least, I am unable to find any.

splasher, sorry for hijacking your question, please add your thoughts.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Amazon still has a few of them around depending on what edition you want.
    https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Premier-2018-Membership-Windows/dp/B077LQRWWC/ref=sr_1_10?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1544056350&sr=1-10&keywords=Quicken+2018
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Looks like Walmart has some too:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quicken-Premier-2018/768087316
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

@RichM ; SimonSezSo said it with a lot more credibility than I can.  He has first hand knowledge and experience with the process.  He has reinforced everything I have heard or learned about the renewal process by actually going thru it.

As long as your subscription is active/current, you get upgrades to the program.

edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

Thanks QPW  - Duh, I never think of online shopping.  Well there are 9 left between the two stores.  Well worth it because I see that the 2019 version is offered in only in a one year subscription.  I think Amazon does offer 2 bonus months.  Not sure though.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

That is interesting because I know the two year copies were there during the black Friday sales.  I see that on Quicken.com they still have them, so I don't think they went away, more likely they had just a certain amount of copies and of course people went for the two version.
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

I see the offers on Quicken.com but they are all one year subscriptions, and the half off price is only good for new users.  I looked on Amazon and Walmart, and it looks like they only have 1 year subscriptions.  Or at least, I can't find any with 2 year subscriptions.
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

These are 2019 versions.  I can still find a few 2018 2 year subscriptions, like you did.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

"I see the offers on Quicken.com but they are all one year subscriptions"

And yes at the moment for "Quicken 2019" have not seen anything other that 1 year subscriptions on Amazon and Walmart.  But I do know that they were there week or two ago.
This discussion has been closed.