Excess Deferral in Tax Planner

Greeting folks, this is a quandary I haven't encountered before. Running QW19 Premier R15.18.

My wife's 401K didn't make last year, so we received an excess deferral check in May from Voya and deposited it in our savings account. Per our accountant's guidance, I categorized it in QW as Salary Spouse. 

Our automated paychecks show up in Tax Planner under Wages/Salary as normal, but the excess deferral deposit does not. I double-checked the savings account register and the deposit transaction has the correct tax category associated with it.

Anyone know what gives?

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    Works fine in QW16 Premier R18.4.  

When you said "the deposit transaction has the correct tax category", you meant the "Salary Spouse" category is assigned the "W-2:salary or wages, spouse" tax line item, right?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited December 2018
    Sherlock said:

Works fine in QW16 Premier R18.4.  

When you said "the deposit transaction has the correct tax category", you meant the "Salary Spouse" category is assigned the "W-2:salary or wages, spouse" tax line item, right?

Yes, that's correct @Sherlock
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    In Tax Planner, is your Filing Status properly set to "married filing jointly"?
    And, when selecting the field "Wages and Salary - Spouse", the "Data Source" has been selected as "Quicken Data (from 2018)"?

If that doesn't do the trick, and without giving away too much personal info, can you show us screen image snapshots of the register transaction detail, the Category List entry for "Salary Spouse" plus the Tax Planner view, with "Wages and Salary - Spouse" selected?
  • edited December 2018
    @UKR, Happy to, thanks for your reply.

Screenshot of Voya excess deferral transaction in savings account register:

Tax Planner view, "Wages and Salary - Spouse" selected (deposit transaction was dated 5/10/18; expected to find it between 4/30 and 5/15 paychecks):

TP Status, MJFS:

Category List, Salary Spouse:

Speaking of, the Voya transaction shows up in category transaction report:

• edited December 2018
    The Voya transaction does appear in FY2018 Tax Summary and Tax Schedule reports, FWIW

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    I suspect Quicken sorts the tax planner view by account name.   If you haven't already, scroll down further in the "Wages and Salary - Spouse" window.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited December 2018
    Bingo. Either by account name or alphabetically by payee.

Another possibility might be be by date modified. I just went back to the savings account register to check on this transaction and modified its tax category. Since date modified (12/9/18) would be between 11/30 and 12/15, I wonder if TP ordered it by date. Just a theory.

Regardless, it's in there: