Version R18.4

Build 25.1.18.4

I am looking for help with a credit card
reconciliation.  So far, I haven’t found
the exact situation in the postings. 

I am reconciling a credit card statement for the period
ending 10/28/18.

Previous statements, including period ending 9/28/18 reconciled
without problem and the previous bill was paid in full. 

All register entries match the credit card statement; if I
do the math on paper I get a balance. 

However, the Quicken reconcile summary shows a discrepancy
of $114.80.  This difference corresponds (coincidentally?)
to the total of two bills that are identified in the register and the statement
and are marked “c”.  (49.00 & $65.80) 

If I add to the reconcile statement duplicates of those charges,
the reconciliation will balance but it would not be accurate; I shouldn’t enter
a duplicate charge just to make the math work in Quicken. 

So I suspected a glitch in the posting or in Quicken. 

I checked the posting date of the transactions.  The posting date was incorrect on one
transaction and missing on the other, so I changed the posting date to match
the purchase date and fall within the statement period. 

I checked my opening balance for the account and cannot see
a problem with it although I’m not sure what I’d be looking for since this
account picks up from a previous card that was replaced. 

I scrolled through all of the transactions to see if I might
notice anything but all have been reconciled up through 9/28/18. 

Finally, I performed a validation and repair check but the
program found no problems.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Your build of 25.1.18.4 indicates you have Quicken 2016 for Windows rather than 2018, do you have a typo?  If so, which?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    It makes sense that you would have a problem if the posting date is missing or outside the statement period, Quicken will not include those.  However, if these transactions are on your statement they must be included to be able to balance.

Not sure why this would happen if these transactions were downloaded and marked cleared.  Have you looked at the downloaded posting date for these?
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • Steve BalesSteve Bales Member
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

Your build of 25.1.18.4 indicates you have Quicken 2016 for Windows rather than 2018, do you have a typo?  If so, which?

2016, sorry.
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

It makes sense that you would have a problem if the posting date is missing or outside the statement period, Quicken will not include those.  However, if these transactions are on your statement they must be included to be able to balance.

Not sure why this would happen if these transactions were downloaded and marked cleared.  Have you looked at the downloaded posting date for these?

I looked at each transaction and checked the posting date for each (right clicked on transaction and hit ctrl+copy transaction).  I could see the posting date for each if listed and I was able to put in a posting date that matched the dates within the statement period.
  • Robert ArmaniRobert Armani Member
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

If those transactions are marked with "C", unmark them before reconciling. See what happens?
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

There is also the downloaded posting date which you add to the register by clicking on the gear icon just above the Balance column, it can not be changed.

• B ZARKB ZARK Member
    edited December 2018
    I occasionally (maybe once a year) run into same problem.   V&R does no good.  what i do is back up file.   then delete the downloaded transaction and re-enter it manually using date on or before closing date and checking off cleared. . 
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

I tried "unclearing" the entries - no change.
    I then made visible the posting date column as splasher suggested.  Interesting.  There is no posting date listed in the column for the two items in question BUT when I click on the transaction and open the dialogue box for it I can see the posting date identified (10/19/18) and an ID number for it.  I guess that is from the download.  I can see the two entries in my statement reconciliation table but is it possible Quicken hasn't really "seen" these two items and that is why the statement won't balance?  
    edited December 2018
    B ZARK said:

I occasionally (maybe once a year) run into same problem.   V&R does no good.  what i do is back up file.   then delete the downloaded transaction and re-enter it manually using date on or before closing date and checking off cleared. . 

I've considered going the back up file route but really hope to avoid it since I'm working on a statement that is from October (yes, I really should reconcile sooner!).  I dread going through all the transactions from all accounts if I do that.
    edited December 2018
    B ZARK said:

I just deleted the transactions and replaced with manual entries.  Did not affect the incorrect reconciliation statement.  I've run out of ideas.  I know that I successfully reconciled prior months but it would be nice if there was a way to check those previous reconciles.  Is there?
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rich M said:

From C. D. Bales:

Here's how Quicken determines which transactions qualify for a reconcile (note the change back around Q2015): https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

As to what to look for in the reconcile opening balance: look for a reconcile opening balance that is not equal to the previous reconcile's closing balance. Quicken does not "remember" the balance of the previous reconcile; Quicken computes the reconcile opening balance at the moment the reconcile begins, and that opening balance is the net amount of ALL transactions in the register with a Cleared Status of "R" (regardless of date!).

Possible causes of reconcile opening balance not equaling previous reconcile closing balance:

- a previously reconciled transaction was subsequently marked unreconciled or deleted

- a previously unreconciled transaction was subsequently marked reconciled

- a transaction not previously in the register was added with a Cleared Status of "R"

- the amount of a previously reconciled transaction was changed

[I don't recall any of the above changing since Q2015.]
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited December 2018
    I received an email on this subject from someone who says he is with Quicken: "QuickenHarold":
    "I read your problem and i think that is a Quicken configuration problem. We are very sorry for the inconvenience

On behalf of my team i can suggest, you can contact our Quicken customer service for the instant help at +1 (8xx) 9xx-xx15 our technician will assist you further."

It seems odd I would get a direct email and the phone number doesn't seem to correspond to Quicken's customer support information.  

Thoughts?  Does this seem like a phishing scam or legit?
    edited December 2018

I received an email on this subject from someone who says he is with Quicken: "QuickenHarold":
    "I read your problem and i think that is a Quicken configuration problem. We are very sorry for the inconvenience

On behalf of my team i can suggest, you can contact our Quicken customer service for the instant help at +1 (8xx) 9xx-xx15 our technician will assist you further."

It seems odd I would get a direct email and the phone number doesn't seem to correspond to Quicken's customer support information.  

It is/was a scam.  There are these scummy people that create a forum ID that looks like a Quicken employee and then make posts on different posts.  The one you got was posted in 46 different places.  The forum sends out emails of new posts to users that are monitoring a particular post, so that is why you got the email.  They try to sucker users into calling them and granting them access to there computers for evil reasons.  I will be editing your post to remove the phone # so that some other user won't see it and mistakenly call it.

edited December 2018

Thanks.  I've dealt with many of these types - not so much online but the phone scammers, Microsoft Tech Support, Credit Cards, IRS, and the "kid" who calls "grandpa" to get him out of jail.  Whooo!  I've had some great conversations before they hang up on me!
    edited December 2018
    I reviewed several months of statements and found a previously reconciled statement did not include the two culprit entries.  They had to be there in order to reconcile so either I deleted them or Quicken did.  I'm hoping it was me.  I can live with that.  If Quicken or the computer did it then I'm in trouble.  It was probably me.  I re-entered the items and the statement I was working on showed them and everything balanced.  I'm OK with it because I am positive those two "missing" entries were part of the previous reconciliation.  I appreciate your helpful comments; they put me on the right path.  I also got another "helpful" inquiry from the scammer.  /Steve
This discussion has been closed.