Here's my Quicken complaint

mistertheplaguemistertheplague Member ✭✭
edited January 11 in Investing (Windows)
Reviewing the latest "Quicken stinks and I want my money back/keep your money, Quicken Inc. I just want the program to work flawlessly" post, I realized that after years of being active on this forum, I've never posted a general complaint.

Specific complaints, sure. But never a broad, hazy, general diatribe that absolutely no one has any power to do anything about. 

So, I want to complain about how this forum is an endless Groundhog Day litany of the ways in which Quicken is borked. Let's have some intelligent discussion of financial matters more broadly, shall we? We're intelligent, financially literate people for god's sake.

I'll start. My portfolio is down 3.5% YTD. I know it must be Quicken's fault, but I just can't figure out how. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Rs6erRs6er Member
    edited December 2018
    Only 3.5%? What’s the problem?
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @mistertheplague, it's not actually Quicken's fault, you're just using it wrong.  ;)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have the same issue - my portfolio is down 3.5% YTD, too! Must be a conspiracy to get us to upgrade!
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • edited December 2018
    Seriously, I think there is justified frustration with all the problems with the latest updates. Luckily, I was able to get my money refunded by canceling within the 30 day window. The Quicken staff worked with me patiently but I kept losing all my hand-entered split transactions and having my categorization entirely jumbled, not to mention reconciliation failures. I will continue to monitor this forum in hopes of seeing the much-awaited announcement that the product is back to working smoothly as it did in all the past years since I started using and keeping it updated for oh so many years. Thank goodness I found a copy of the 2016 version installer on my hard drive! It works like a charm. When it is fixed and stable I hope the company sends out a general announcement.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ mistertheplague ,

See this Article: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

Before anyone can advise we need your information. See the Article to comment back.

• Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @mistertheplague,

You must be looking at the wrong performance measure. The beauty of Quicken is that you can feel good or bad about your performance, depending on which measure you look at.
    Avg. Annual Return YTD        -2.35%
    ROI YTD -1.93%
    Growth of $10,000 YTD -2.39%
    Inv. Perf report YTD -2.35%
    Inv. Perf report (thru 12/31) -2.21%
    Account balances -4.10%
    Luckily I had no share class conversions or large deposits or withdrawals this year, so none of these numbers is wildly off base.

The risk is that with all the measures in negative territory, I might get scared and actually do something.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    mistertheplague not everyone understands sarcasm, so I have learned the hard way not to attempt any type of humor in a forum like this.  Some wont get it and be offended, and some will attempt to find a seriously logical response where none can be found.  Those that get it will chuckle, and be more amused by the responses you have gotten.
    edited December 2018

@mistertheplague,

You must be looking at the wrong performance measure. The beauty of Quicken is that you can feel good or bad about your performance, depending on which measure you look at.

ROI YTD -1.93%
    Account balances -4.10%
    Luckily I had no share class conversions or large deposits or withdrawals this year, so none of these numbers is wildly off base.

The risk is that with all the measures in negative territory, I might get scared and actually do something.
    It's too bad they dropped the Tax Optimizer.
    edited December 2018

mistertheplague not everyone understands sarcasm, so I have learned the hard way not to attempt any type of humor in a forum like this.  Some wont get it and be offended, and some will attempt to find a seriously logical response where none can be found.  Those that get it will chuckle, and be more amused by the responses you have gotten.

I, for one, am finding it giggle inducing.
  • FranFran Member
    edited December 2018

Seriously, I think there is justified frustration with all the problems with the latest updates. Luckily, I was able to get my money refunded by canceling within the 30 day window. The Quicken staff worked with me patiently but I kept losing all my hand-entered split transactions and having my categorization entirely jumbled, not to mention reconciliation failures. I will continue to monitor this forum in hopes of seeing the much-awaited announcement that the product is back to working smoothly as it did in all the past years since I started using and keeping it updated for oh so many years. Thank goodness I found a copy of the 2016 version installer on my hard drive! It works like a charm. When it is fixed and stable I hope the company sends out a general announcement.

I have similar feelings as you do - I love 2013 version of Quicken.  I long for all the problems to be fixed so I can upgrade.  And I see you and I didn't get the joke or the sarcasm like the SuperUsers did.  It's obvious that only SuperUsers are allowed to make unhelpful suggestions.  Hope your comments don't get removed like mine did.  
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    mistertheplague

I currently see only two ways to remedy your -3.5$ YTD, sell every thing and put it in your mattress or put it in your local bank at .2% interest.  In fact, the mattress may be the best best, it won't generate any income which you would then be taxed on.  :-)
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited December 2018

I was going to make a joke at the end about my investment returns but I thought that the title of this thread is so arresting that it is a good place to make it clear that Quicken has many loyal users who really do not want to jump after hearing all the "Quicken stinks" posts and would want to be notified when it is safe to upgrade. I have been tracking my investments with Quicken for many years now and can say that I am way ahead despite the recessions and fluctuations in the market. There is no other program that I know of that can replace the capacity of Quicken to give the "big picture" (and that's no joke). ;>)
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

mistertheplague

I currently see only two ways to remedy your -3.5$ YTD, sell every thing and put it in your mattress or put it in your local bank at .2% interest.  In fact, the mattress may be the best best, it won't generate any income which you would then be taxed on.  :-)

Yes but does your mattress support transaction downloading?
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

When it is fixed and stable I hope the company sends out a general announcement.
    I think personally this is exactly the kind of statement that mistertheplague was referring to.

Do you understand how impossible that is?

First off the latest version is "stable" for and thousands of other people.
    But that doesn't mean it will be "stable" for you.

Just as the in the statement mistertheplague quoted where they wanted Quicken to work "flawlessly". Quicken is created by humans it will never work "flawlessly".

It may work "flawlessly" for certain activities, but it certainly won't work "flawlessly" for everyone for every purpose.

The first step to know if you Quicken is "fixed" for your purpose would be to know how exactly you are using it, and exactly what problems you are having.

Without that information, no one can even guess one way or another if Quicken is going to be "stable" for you or not.

Certainly Quicken Inc can't send out a notice saying "Quicken is now stable".

Right now I wouldn't touch Quicken Cloud sync.

Express Web Connect by definition is going to always have problems, so if you have to use it, you have to realize that is always going to be the case.  Most of the problems are out of Quicken Inc's hands.

Online Bills seems to be "mostly there", but still some "billers" and in some people's data files there seems to be a few problems.

Actually let me state it differently.  Fran talks about loving Quicken 2013.  Well certainly if I restricted my use to what is possible in Quicken 2013, I would have no problems at all.

It all depends on how you are using Quicken.

And as such if you want your problem solved or even want to know if is "Quicken stable for me" you have to put out the effort to ask particular problems and note that the answer might be that the problem is in your data file, or your procedure, and not in Quicken the program itself.  Meaning that waiting for a patch to fix your problems, might never happen.
  • mistertheplaguemistertheplague Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

@mistertheplague,

ROI YTD -1.93%
    Account balances -4.10%

I had high hopes for the TO, but without more granularity and/or the ability to customize asset classes within Quicken, it was never super useful. My opinion.
    edited December 2018

@SimonSezSo:

not everyone understands sarcasm

In fairness, even in real life I'm drier than the Gobi sands. This medium doesn't help with that.

I have learned the hard way not to attempt any type of humor in a forum like this.
    I can't help it. I have a compulsion. 

Those that get it will chuckle, and be more amused by the responses you have gotten.

mshiggins has giggled. My work here is done.
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

mistertheplague

Boom!
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

mistertheplague

Related question for the tribe: why have savings account APY rates been pathetic for so long?  Quantitative easing?
    edited December 2018

As usual, @QPW, your perspicacity cuts through and clarifies.

Side note: my Mac file is synced with the Cloud. Haven't had any problems (knock on silicon). Now I'm concerned. Maybe I should turn it off.  
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

mistertheplague

Yep!

It is slowly raising now that the fed is slowly increasing the fed rate.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

mistertheplague

P.S.  Typically brokerage accounts pay pathetic interest rates in comparison to say a good Internet bank.  I guess it encourages people to buy securities.
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

mistertheplague

It's a rich man's country.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

@mistertheplague,

ROI YTD -1.93%
    Account balances -4.10%

For anyone wanting to see this implemented in the QMac version at least (and if Quicken is aiming for Windows parity, maybe it would make it there too), you may want to You can add your VOTE to Add ability to customize the asset class menu.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

mistertheplague

@QPW, or like Vanguard they have the gall to charge an expense ratio for their money market mutual fund which earns nothing (and, as a side note, makes tracking transactions in QW a bona fide nightmare). 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

mistertheplague

Of course no matter what the interest rates are, they are always a "losing bet".

I hear people complaining all the time about the low interest rates, but I have lived through times with high interest rates, and I can tell you, you don't want them.

If your bank is paying you 5% you can be sure that inflation is at least 6%.

Anyone for a mortgage at any where from 11% to 15%?
    edited December 2018

@mistertheplague,

ROI YTD -1.93%
    Account balances -4.10%

Voted. Maybe they'll add it in an unannounced release like they did with QDI estimates in QW. 

Nah. Marcus would skywrite a feature like that. 
    edited December 2018
    splasher said:

mistertheplague

There you go again with your reality-based opinions again. 
  • edited December 2018
    mistertheplague, Thank you for allowing me to start my day with a good laugh. Love your sense of humor.
    edited December 2018

mistertheplague, Thank you for allowing me to start my day with a good laugh. Love your sense of humor.

Thank you, Martha. Happy to help.
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Yes you've done your job.  I say good job.  I think you've pointed out some of the silliness here.  Most will understand your message, others, sadly, still don't get it.