Back Up check register

I want to back up only the past few years as my account go back to 2006.  Anyway to limit how far to back up and if so, how? Windows 10  Quicken 2018

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You can try to use the Year End Copy function, selecting appropriate options to create an Archive File with the old transactions and a new current data file with only the newer ones.

Note:
    • Create a backup of your data file BEFORE you start working on that. If something goes wrong, restoring the backup will be your way out of any mess.
    • All transactions in your register that you wish to send off to the Archive File MUST be reconciled in all account registers.
    • YEC will not remove investment transactions, even if reconciled. There's a new different function to split investment account registers
    • Read more about YEC in Quicken Help
    • If you ever change your mind later, Humpty Dumpty, er, the two split archive and data files cannot be put together again.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Why do you want to do that? ... it may not be necessary.  My Quicken data goes back to 1984 and I have not found a need to do that after all these years.

Please post your file information by clicking Help Ctrl+About Quicken, then upload an image of that window.

With Windows 10 you can do that with the Snipping Tool to capture an image of that window and upload it.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • Jack ParrJack Parr Member
    edited December 2018
    My check register is full.  I can add transactions but they don't show up in check register unless I delete a transaction.  They do show up in the report features.  Is there a way to increase the register size?

Do I have to Archive a portion of my data and then delete old transactions on the current file.  It will limit what I see when I search the current file to find prior payments.

Any ideas?
    edited January 22
    Jack Parr: I've never heard of a register being full and your transactions are being added because you say you see them in reports.  Have you tried clicking the reset button at the top of the register to clear any filters?  Have you checked that your register is sorted by date?  How many transactions does Quicken show at the bottom of the register?

Please post a screenshot of your file information by following the instructions I posted above.
  • Jack ParrJack Parr Member
    edited December 2018
    thank You Rich
    I have gone back and deleted void transactions (20) and that seems to work but not sure if means after another 20 new ones I will have the same problem. I have 2,752 transactions.   I believe I had it sorted by date and tried the reset, but if it happens again I will first check the sort and reset.  Hopefully it will be OK, if not I may reach out to you again.  Is 2,752 a lot? Thanks Jack
    edited January 22
    Jack Parr:  No, that is not a lot of transactions, I have over 10,000 with no issues and that is not a lot either.  There's no limitation on the number of transactions you can have in a register other than disk space itself, which doesn't seem to be your problem.

Not having the register sorted by date or having it filtered are the most common reasons people have for missing transactions.
This discussion has been closed.