Old, reconciled transactions being downloaded again from Capital One

Running Quicken Deluxe R16.14. build 27.1.16.14.

Quicken installed an update last week. Since then, every time I do a One Step Update, Quicken is downloading old transactions from 2017 that are already entered and reconciled in my copy of Quicken. I do not use Auto Download, so I must review every entry individually and select "Edit-Delete" to prevent these duplicate charges from being entered into the account for a second time. Deleting these for all my Cap One accounts (I have 6 of them) every time I run the One Step Update is taking me a lot of time - and is totally unnecessary!

I have been using Quicken since 1996 and am ready to pull the plug. I have been testing Fidelity's Full View feature to see if it will provide me the information I need without using Quicken. I am tired of having to fix things, especially duplicate downloaded entries, from a program that used to work seamlessly. Quicken is no longer providing me with reliable service for my accounts.

Any suggestions? None of my Quicken accounts will reconcile now - errors in the 10s of 1000s (i.e. -27,648 difference in checking, etc.) when reconciling so I cannot even rely on Quicken for accurate online balances! WTF?!!! I'm over this crap!

Comments

• lambda379lambda379 Member
    edited December 2018
    I am having the same problem but with multiple accounts.  Old transactions that I have reconciled are being downloaded.  For the past three days, the same transactions have been downloaded each day.  Like George, I too am ready to pull the plug!
  • edited December 2018
    Yes, just noticed it is also happening with my Wells Fargo account also ... think this put me over the top!

• gpsguy47gpsguy47 Member
    edited December 2018
    I too have had similar problems with CapitalOne Banking.  It has been aggravating to endure security changes from CatitalOne servers and Quicken's new business updates.  The One Step Updates has not worked well since CapitalOne has completed it's last round of authentication updates and consolidation with CapitalOne 360.  I try not to use the One Step in Quicken and use the CapitalOne Bank website download feature. After logging into my account I go to the "Account Services & Settings", then "Account Management", and then "Download Transactions".  I click on the downloaded file and it interacts with Quicken to provide current information.  The first download may need attention to get in sync with the bank, but subsequent downloads are accurate for me.
  • edited December 2018
    gpsguy47 said:

I too have had similar problems with CapitalOne Banking.  It has been aggravating to endure security changes from CatitalOne servers and Quicken's new business updates.  The One Step Updates has not worked well since CapitalOne has completed it's last round of authentication updates and consolidation with CapitalOne 360.  I try not to use the One Step in Quicken and use the CapitalOne Bank website download feature. After logging into my account I go to the "Account Services & Settings", then "Account Management", and then "Download Transactions".  I click on the downloaded file and it interacts with Quicken to provide current information.  The first download may need attention to get in sync with the bank, but subsequent downloads are accurate for me.

I might try that for the short term - but it defeats the purpose of the One Step Update if I must go to each site and download transactions. The feature should work or should be removed.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ George Thompson III ,

How do you have Quicken Preferences for Downloaded Transactions set up?

And what is the Connection Protocol being used?
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R20.15 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.4
  • deedee Member
    edited December 2018
    Been having the same similar problem for the last couple of weeks.  Like you am thinking of pulling the plug on Quicken and am very leery of their product.  You would think with the number of complaints of this same similar issue they would issue a blanket email to its customers explaining what is happening, any fixes and possible credits to us for the nightmare and extra work this is costing us.  ****Oh, and this doesn't seem to be a Bank specific problem.  The problem is with QUICKEN
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Do you have the Quicken Cloud turned ON, and doing a SYNC -
    there seems to be various reports of this feature causing the mayham....

Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • edited December 2018

Express Web Connect for Capital One.
  • edited December 2018
    ps56k said:

Do you have the Quicken Cloud turned ON, and doing a SYNC -
    there seems to be various reports of this feature causing the mayham....

Nope ... don't use the Quicken Cloud.
    edited December 2018

I would suggest that you contact Quicken Support:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

I normally use Direct Connect with PNC Bank and experience no problems. I do not use Express Web Connect for my Checking Account,

PNC Bank does not charge Customers for a Direct Connect Connection, provided they meet the requirements.

• edited December 2018
    Update ... today I ran One Step Update again and it only downloaded recent transactions this time ... however, somehow it has totally screwed up the reconciliation to get it reconciled to the online balance. 

I had to reconcile my Cap1 checking 3 times to get it to match the online balance & had 3 separate balance adjustments (amounts were deposits of $21,205.24 & $2,257.41 and debit of $5.02). I had to reconcile my Cap1 savings account by a balance adjustment debit of $43,304.98. My Cap1 credit card required a balance adjustment debit of $537.98.

These amounts make me wonder what information was lost or modified in the account to affect those balances that much. Totally unacceptable but at least my balances match the online - but the integrity of the respective registers has been severely compromised. I am definitely dumping Quicken as soon as I can get things squared away to migrate to something else. Fuggetaboutit!
  • SimonSezSoSimonSezSo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I personally have seen this happen on my own accounts when the FI is having issues with their transaction files and are attempting to fix them, and by doing so, they inadvertently resend or recode old transactions.
    edited December 2018

Update ... today I ran One Step Update again and it only downloaded recent transactions this time ... however, somehow it has totally screwed up the reconciliation to get it reconciled to the online balance. 

I had to reconcile my Cap1 checking 3 times to get it to match the online balance & had 3 separate balance adjustments (amounts were deposits of $21,205.24 & $2,257.41 and debit of $5.02). I had to reconcile my Cap1 savings account by a balance adjustment debit of $43,304.98. My Cap1 credit card required a balance adjustment debit of $537.98.

These amounts make me wonder what information was lost or modified in the account to affect those balances that much. Totally unacceptable but at least my balances match the online - but the integrity of the respective registers has been severely compromised. I am definitely dumping Quicken as soon as I can get things squared away to migrate to something else. Fuggetaboutit!

I would definitely not do Balance Adjustment, but would definitely look for errors and correct them. You might find unauthorized use. And I definitely enter Transactions manually and download transactions to match.

• edited February 14

Too late - see my entry above? There is no unauthorized use - my balance matches my online balance perfectly now (after the balance adjustments). I enter my receipts manually every day and review every transaction posted to my accounts (get text messages for everything over $5) prior to accepting and, prior to this most recent issue, my balances matched perfectly. I also double-checked the balances by logging into Cap1 and they match.

[removed]
  • edited December 2018

I personally have seen this happen on my own accounts when the FI is having issues with their transaction files and are attempting to fix them, and by doing so, they inadvertently resend or recode old transactions.

Thanks Simon - all I know is I don't have this problem with any of my other financial software or applications I use. Lack of reliability is unacceptable for financial software. I'm outta' here ...
  • edited December 2018

Thanks thecreator. But if the tools provided by the software are unreliable, the software is not worth using - especially for a financial application. I will call Support when I have time to sit on hold for a while. Based on past experience, I don't expect much from Support - the problem is rarely Quicken's (according to Support).

And what are they going to do at this point to fix my issue? The account registers' integrity is already compromised. I don't think they are going to fix my registers.
    edited December 2018
    lambda379 said:

I am having the same problem but with multiple accounts.  Old transactions that I have reconciled are being downloaded.  For the past three days, the same transactions have been downloaded each day.  Like George, I too am ready to pull the plug!

Five days, five days of the same transactions being downloaded each day.  They have the last subscription they'll ever get from me.  What a huge mistake!  Run away from this software.
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hello All,
    We're sorry for the issues that this has caused; we're currently investigating this issue as a bug with the 16.4 release.  

If you would like to be notified when this issue is resolved, please follow the announcement here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-12-19-18-previously-reconciled-transactions-...

Thank you for your patience while we resolve this issue,
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • dbdb Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm seeing this on any account that I reconcile over the internet. What I've noticed is Quicken is deleting old transactions from an account when One Step Update is run. This results in previously reconciled transactions not having matches between my account in Quicken and the banks. Therefore, the bank transactions pop up as new. When I ran One Step Update again, more transactions were deleted from my Quicken account. Hope this gets resolved quickly.
    edited December 2018
    This issue has still not been fixed and it's 2 weeks old.  Is there any status?  Until it's fixed there is no use in running One Step Update unless you want to reconcile transactions over and over! 

And no, the latest patch doesn't fix the issue. 
  • dbdb Member
    edited January 3

So, it's a new year and time to close the books on 2018. Problem is Quicken has not resolved the problem of transactions being deleted when doing a One Step Update. The latest patch still deletes almost a years worth of transactions. This results in all the missing transactions being flagged as "New" after the update. This is unacceptable. I rely on Quicken for managing my accounts and preparing reports that I use for tax prep. Please work quickly to resolve this.
  • dbdb Member
    edited January 15

Just installed the latest update (R17.6) and did a One Step Update. This update did NOT fix the issue where transactions are being deleted from my register. I get the same results as before. I'm very disappointed with the way Quicken is handling this. Is it possible to fallback to the 2018 version of Quicken?
  • dbdb Member
    edited January 15

Just received a notification from Quicken Sarah in the "Resolved 12/19/18:Previously cleared transactions appearing as "new" in Quicken for Windows 2019" thread indicating the latest patch R17, Build 27.1.17.6 has resolved the transaction deletion/New transaction issue. I just tried it out and it does not fix the issue. I still had transactions being deleted from my accounts and then appearing as NEW when I do a One Step Update. I am losing patience with Quicken and may begin to consider an alternative application. Quicken needs to get their act together.
    edited January 10
    db said:

Just received a notification from Quicken Sarah in the "Resolved 12/19/18:Previously cleared transactions appearing as "new" in Quicken for Windows 2019" thread indicating the latest patch R17, Build 27.1.17.6 has resolved the transaction deletion/New transaction issue. I just tried it out and it does not fix the issue. I still had transactions being deleted from my accounts and then appearing as NEW when I do a One Step Update. I am losing patience with Quicken and may begin to consider an alternative application. Quicken needs to get their act together.

Hi @ db ,

When you Deactivated and Set up Now for Online Services for Express Web Connect Connections, it will always download some 90 days of past transactions.

And when you Reconcile your Register monthly, it will change the c in Cleared Transactions to R for Reconciled.

After you Reconcile the Transactions, any old Transactions, that get downloaded via Express Web Connect Protocol again, are labeled as New by Quicken.

I haven't had Quicken on its own, delete any of my Transactions.

What is your Connection method for the Registers, you are noticing that Quicken deletes Transactions in?

• dbdb Member
    edited January 10
    db said:

I did not setup for Express Web Connect Connections. All my data is stored locally on my server, not in the cloud. Prior to the 2019 version I was having no problems with One Step Update. It would get the transactions from the bank and I would accept them. Quicken would then mark them as 'c'leared.

After the 2019 release, when I did the One Step Update, old transactions would be deleted from my account and then they would appear in the transaction download as New. Luckily I had a backup prior to 2019 so I was able to restore my data. Every time Quicken released a patch I tried it and got the same results.
    edited January 10
    db said:

Hi @ db ,

What is your connection method listed in Account Overview? For the Registers being affected?

Have you tried running Quicken with your Quicken Data located here:
    G:\My Documents\Quicken instead of on your Server?

My Documents is stored on a separate partition instead of on the same partition as the operating system's partition, thus making restoring the operating system, a snap using Acronis True Image. Don't need to worry about losing My Documents.

In other words, run Quicken with its Data Folder located within the Computer, itself, not on a server.
  • dbdb Member
    edited January 10
    db said:

All the accounts affected are "Direct Connect"
    My server is the main PC.
    Both the Quicken application and the data file are on:
    C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Quicken\
    I also use Acronis for PC backups.
    So, yes, I am already running everything locally.
    edited January 10
    db said:

Hi @ db ,

My Main Account is also Direct Connect to my Bank and have not noticed any lost of Transactions.

Do you have a large Hard Drive that can be partitioned?

Mine:

As I have more than one operating system and can only use One operating system, at a time, I moved My Documents to its own partition, not part of any operating system, so if the operating system crashes and needs to be restored, I don't need to worry about losing any documents.

Plus I have multiple copies of My Documents Folders, having more than one computer.

My Email Store Folder is located in its own partition as well. I lose nothing. :)

• dbdb Member
    edited January 10
    db said:

I appreciate all the information you have provided. My background is in software and system development. I know the challenges of build releases, especially when its a major one.
    I was having no problems with Quicken until the 2019 release was put out. Since then the problems I've discussed have occurred with both patch releases.
    What I might do is blow away Quicken and re-install it. Not sure it will help, but you never know what remnants may still exist from previous versions.
    Again, thank you for your help. If you do work for Quicken, I suggest this issue gets elevated to a higher level.
This discussion has been closed.