Forced Usage Of Google Chrome

I think that it is absolutely unethical that Google Chrome are using website managers and software developers to force users into abandoning other web browsers in favour of Google Chrome.  It is equally unethical that website managers/software developers go along with this travesty.  I recently upgraded from Quicken 2016 to the current version and was unable to install as the downloaded file was not executable.  When I called Technical Support about this problem I was told that my browser was not supported and I would have to use Google Chrome to download the file.  I consider Google Chrome (and a number of other popular browsers) to be completely and totally insecure and will not use it (them).  Consequently, in order to download the program I had to borrow a friend's computer to download the executable file.  I'm hoping that it will install from a memory stick without incident.  Assuming the Install goes OK, I can hardly wait to see if downloads of banking information, etc. using my browser will be supported .  I think it is high time that a stop was put to Google's intrusiveness, and a good start would be with software developers like Quicken.

Comments

• QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018
    I don't think you understand the problem.

Even though there are some standards on HTML, JavaScript and the rest used for creating websites, none of the web browsers work exactly the same.  As a result the programmers have to do tests to see which web browser is being used and change certain things to get them things to work right.

The programmer aren't going to program/test for every web browser that exists.

It is more incumbent on your web browser to work like one of the main stream web browsers as far as it is when it deals with what the website programmers have put in, than the other way around.
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Also, Quicken does Not require Chrome. Your default Internet options are set in security settings and that is what is blocking download of. exe files. Adjust the settings and it works fine with Edge or IE.

Search internet for blocked exe download and adjust settings if you want without installing Chrome
  • edited December 2018
    Robert Lee deserves congratulations from the Community for having found, and continuing to use a browser whose higher security, in part includes and depends upon a prohibition on revealing the browser's name...which certainly limits the ability of anyone in the Community or at Quicken to provide him assistance...
  • Robert LeeRobert Lee Member
    edited December 2018
    When I'm logging on to a website I'm familiar with and don't suspect security issues, I will reluctantly use IE version 11.  As I could not get on the Quicken My Account site using my browser of choice, I used IE version 11.  It would not download the file properly.  If it is not a mainstream browser, I don't know what is.  I'm getting really fed up with companies like Google trying to ram things down consumers throats that consumers definitely don't want or need.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

When I'm logging on to a website I'm familiar with and don't suspect security issues, I will reluctantly use IE version 11.  As I could not get on the Quicken My Account site using my browser of choice, I used IE version 11.  It would not download the file properly.  If it is not a mainstream browser, I don't know what is.  I'm getting really fed up with companies like Google trying to ram things down consumers throats that consumers definitely don't want or need.

You have made two posts in this thread without mentioning the name of this browser of choice of yours.  How come?  It seems to me that it is important to this discussion to name this browser.

I don't use IE, but I have successfully downloaded the installation files using Chrome, Firefox & Opera.

Herbert F Rudd II   Where did you come by this info?
     in part includes and depends upon a prohibition on revealing the browser's name
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I have NEVER used Chrome, on any device.
    My primary (i.e., almost all of the time) browser if Firefox ... with very rare usage of IE or Edge.

The OP's initial premise is just plain untrue.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018

If it is not a mainstream browser, I don't know what is.
    That's correct you don't know what a mainstream browser is.
    Microsoft has been pushing way from using IE for a long time, and the user have run away from it too.

Current stats:
    Position: 6, Name: IE 11: percentage of users: 3.43%

• QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018

BTW
    Firefox: 6.6%
    Opera: 3.0%
  • edited December 2018

@ splasher : Ball is squarely in Lee’s court. Was assuming security must be Lee’s reason for not naming his browser and chiding him for making it more difficult to help him ... Regards
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2018
    I decided to test downloading/installing of Quicken (subscription version) using IE 11/Windows 10.

When I ran it, it failed to start the install, and suggested trying compatibility mode.  That is certainly something you don't want to do since Windows will select Windows XP for that operating system.

I downloaded using FireFox and then compared the two installs.  They were identical.

The one downloaded using FireFox ran, but told me I needed to uninstall Quicken (subscription) manually.  I did that and it still thought it was installed.  So I used the QCleanUI (not following their procedures mind you just downloading the executables and and runn QCleanUI selecting to clean all versions)
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

This allowed me to install using the one downloaded with FireFox.

Ran QCleanUI again to clean (don't uninstall first QCleanUI does that, and better)

Ran the one download from IE and it installed with no problem.

So my belief is that this isn't a web browser problem at all, or should I say it isn't the "bits that are downloaded" that is the problem.  There might be something where the web browser is informing Windows about this executable coming from the web and as such Windows treating it differently.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Robert Lee ,

See this Article:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

I read your initial post and comments and I failed to see what Browser you were attempting to use and its version number,

Google Chrome is not needed to download Quicken or install Quicken.

I follow this method to install the latest version of Quicken:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/reinstalling-quicken-2018-for-windows?rfm=1&...

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP