Can I run two seperate versions of Quicken on one PC?

I am running Quicken Starter Edition 2014 on a PC and use it for my condo association. I would like to get a newer version of the Starter Edition for my personal finances and want to keep them separate. Can I have two separate versions on one PC? 

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It's not recommended to try to install and maintain different versions of Quicken on the same computer, even though it's possible. They tend to trip over each other and may cause problems.

Just purchase and install a newer version of Quicken.
    You can use both your Condo and your Personal file with the new version.
  • Norman BrownNorman Brown Member
    edited December 2018

I know I can enter both accounts on one version, but would prefer to keep them as separate as possible.

Thanks
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

I know I can enter both accounts on one version, but would prefer to keep them as separate as possible.

Thanks

You can have as many separate files as you wish - including one file for your personal accounts and a second file for condo association.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Well there is a reason want to run both versions.  Once that Quicken 2014 data file is converted into any newer version, Quicken 2014 will not be able to open it.  Which means that if another person takes on the role of maintaining it the Condo association will have to pay for a newer version.

But like UKR said it isn't recommended, there are several shared config files both at the user and system level.  In general it takes someone that is really good with Quicken to know what will and what will not be affected by having two versions of Quicken installed.

Now on the subject of keeping the two separate, you would use two different data files.  You wouldn't be including accounts from both in one data file.  By using two separate data files the finances will be very much separated.
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Well there is a reason want to run both versions.  Once that Quicken 2014 data file is converted into any newer version, Quicken 2014 will not be able to open it.  Which means that if another person takes on the role of maintaining it the Condo association will have to pay for a newer version.

But like UKR said it isn't recommended, there are several shared config files both at the user and system level.  In general it takes someone that is really good with Quicken to know what will and what will not be affected by having two versions of Quicken installed.

Now on the subject of keeping the two separate, you would use two different data files.  You wouldn't be including accounts from both in one data file.  By using two separate data files the finances will be very much separated.

So if I create two different data files, can I back them up separately onto two separate flash drives?
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If you do want to run both versions of Quicken on the same physical machine. you may want to consider using dual boot or a virtual OS to isolate the Quicken installations.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

So if I create two different data files, can I back them up separately onto two separate flash drives?
    Absolutely.
  • Connie BrownConnie Brown Member
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Yes.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    UKR said:

It's not recommended to try to install and maintain different versions of Quicken on the same computer, even though it's possible. They tend to trip over each other and may cause problems.

Cannot have 2 versions on a Windows PC (normally). But on a Mac it is different (at least prior to the subscription versions)  ;-)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Can I do this with my 2014 version or do I need to upgrade?
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Yes I used Q2014 and am now using Q2017. You can have different data files.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

You can do this with your Quicken 2014 version.
    To create a new data file:
    File -> New Quicken File... -> OK
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

File/New Quicken File...
    File/Open Quicken File...
    edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Thanks all. I appreciate to input to my query.

Have a Merry Christmas!
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Thanks

The files are independent of each other.  There is NO co-mingling of information between different Quicken data files.  Just be sure to make backups of each of the files since backing up one ;file does not backup the other file.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited December 2018
    QPW said:

Merry Christmas!
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    UKR said:

Just to clarify: you can have two separate data files with Quicken Mac (which isn't relevant to the question being asked here), and with Quicken Windows -- running from the same Quicken app. Running different versions of Quicken... I'd defer to what @UKR says above.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • psobilopsobilo Member ✭✭
    I would also recommend the files have separate/unique file names so that the automatic backups do not overwrite each other.

This discussion has been closed.