Quicken 2018 won't open

I have Windows 7. Quicken opened Dec 14th and the next day I got an error message that Quicken Window stopped working.  I reinstalled Quicken and that didn't help. Now the error message is that I don't meet the minimum system requirements. In the Properties section of Quicken.exe it looks like Quicken thinks I have Windows XP and not Windows 7. 

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • KateKate Member
    edited December 2018
    I did review this. It said to right click on the quicken properties and unchecked the compatability box and select apply. Unfortunately, that section is shaded light grey so I can't unchecked it. That compatability section is saying it's Windows XP and I have Windows 7.
    edited December 2018
    Kate said:

I did review this. It said to right click on the quicken properties and unchecked the compatability box and select apply. Unfortunately, that section is shaded light grey so I can't unchecked it. That compatability section is saying it's Windows XP and I have Windows 7.

Is the file on a local drive and are you using a user account with Administrator rights? If you select Change settings for all users button, is the compatibility mode check box still inaccessible?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • KateKate Member
    edited December 2018
    Kate said:

I changed the setting for all users. I was able to change the compatibility mode check box so I selected Windows 7 for the compatibility mode.  Quicken reinstalled.  Still getting the "Quicken Window is not working error."  I rebooted my PC but came up with the same Quicken Window is not working message. Rats.
    edited December 2018
    Kate said:

When are you seeing the "Quicken Window is not working error"?  Does it happen when you attempt to start the program, when you open the data file, download transactions, sync to the Quicken Cloud, ... ?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • KateKate Member
    edited December 2018
    Kate said:

It comes up when I try to start the program. A few times the bar showing the progress of loading the data comes up and it gets about 80% done and then the quicken isn't working message comes up. But usually the message comes right after double clicking on the icon (or trying to click the .exe file in the quicken folder).
    edited December 2018
    Kate said:

Does the Quicken window open when you press the ctrl key and open the qw.exe (left-click or right-click and select Open)?  If the quicken windows doesn't open, the implication is that the program installation may be corrupt and I would suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows

If the Quicken window does open, does Quicken then fail when you open the data file (select File and the first file listed in the recent file menu)?  If it does, it may mean your data file is corrupt.  If you haven't already you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • KateKate Member
    edited December 2018
    Kate said:

We were on the same thought process.  I decided I was going to delete everything just as you suggested.  I got Quicken to open and then the data file was corrupted. I was able to use the validate process to get it repaired.  Thanks so much for your comments. It helped that what I had done was the right process. It just took doing everything twice and then blowing it all away and deciding if I had to start all over on the data that was just the way the ball rolls.  I have my data back up and I have to go through and correct some items but at least it's almost all there.  Thank you for being so prompt on your assistance. I wanted to let you know I got it fixed and I appreciated your help. Getting this up and running was my Christmas present.
    edited December 2018
    Kate said:

Glad to have helped.  Merry Christmas.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
This discussion has been closed.