Moving newer version of my quicken file onto my computer

I have a Windows 8.1 computer which has an older version of my Quicken file on it.  The file is "attached" to the Quicken installation.  In other words, when I open Quicken on the Windows 8.1 computer, it opens the file.  Now I want to move a file that is from another computer (a Windows 10 computer) and have this other file replace the file that I have on my Windows 8.1 computer.  The motivation for doing this is that the Quicken file on my Windows 10 computer is the most up to date.  

I was thinking about putting the backup file from my Windows 10 computer which Quicken automatically creates (in the Quicken/backup folder) into the same directory of my Windows 8.1 computer.  This backup should be completely up to date because I have Quicken set to backup every time I open Quicken.  

Comments

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    Are you using the same quicken version on both computers? You can just move the .qdf file to the 8.1 Windows computer. Or do a backup from Win 10 and restore on Win 8.1.

Do they have the same file name? You should probably first rename the file on win 8.1 with another name. The copy the file from the win 10 computer. Then start quicken and go to File-Open and find the new file.
  • Connie BrownConnie Brown Member
    edited December 2018
    If you place the more up to date Quicken file in the directory of your Windows 8.1 computer, you can open it by clicking on it. 
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    There's a critical piece of info missing here:  What Build/Release of Q do you have on each computer?  You can do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

AND, are either Q products the "Starter Edition"?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • SilverthunderSilverthunder Member ✭✭
    edited January 23

There's a critical piece of info missing here:  What Build/Release of Q do you have on each computer?  You can do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

AND, are either Q products the "Starter Edition"?

Quicken 2015 Home and business R17.1 Build 24.1.17.1 on both computers.
  • SilverthunderSilverthunder Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    volvogirl said:

Are you using the same quicken version on both computers? You can just move the .qdf file to the 8.1 Windows computer. Or do a backup from Win 10 and restore on Win 8.1.

Do they have the same file name? You should probably first rename the file on win 8.1 with another name. The copy the file from the win 10 computer. Then start quicken and go to File-Open and find the new file.

I would think that the safest option is to create the backup and then restore from backup.  

Good point on the file names.  Getting the 2 files mixed up is no good.