How to specify sync of one quicken file between the Mac app and iOS app?

I use three quicken files on my Mac.  I want to be able to sync just one with the mobile app.  How do I specify that?  I don't want to corrupt the data of any other files.  Or, is it possible to sync three files across both devices?

Also, the file I want to sync holds three currencies.  Will that be an issue on the mobile app?

Comments

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah ✭✭✭✭ Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    Hello lukewarmturkey,

Welcome to the Quicken Community!  We appreciate your taking the time to post your question although I apologize that you have yet to receive a response. 

In Quicken for Mac, syncing with the mobile app is automatically enabled, however, if you would prefer to sync only a single file, the automatic sync may be disabled by selecting the Quicken tab at the top left of the screen > Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts and toggling the sync to "off".

The Mobile/Web Apps are designed to support syncing of multiple Quicken data files so all three Quicken files may be synced to access on the Mobile and/or Web Apps without any risk of corruption. 

The Quicken Mobile/Web Apps do not support multi-currency at this time and is only able to sync accounts in the "home" currency of the data file, i.e USD, CAD etc., we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I hope this information is helpful but please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns the Community may assist with.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • smayer97smayer97 ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3

Hello lukewarmturkey,

Welcome to the Quicken Community!  We appreciate your taking the time to post your question although I apologize that you have yet to receive a response. 

In Quicken for Mac, syncing with the mobile app is automatically enabled, however, if you would prefer to sync only a single file, the automatic sync may be disabled by selecting the Quicken tab at the top left of the screen > Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts and toggling the sync to "off".

The Mobile/Web Apps are designed to support syncing of multiple Quicken data files so all three Quicken files may be synced to access on the Mobile and/or Web Apps without any risk of corruption. 

The Quicken Mobile/Web Apps do not support multi-currency at this time and is only able to sync accounts in the "home" currency of the data file, i.e USD, CAD etc., we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I hope this information is helpful but please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns the Community may assist with.

Thank you,

Sarah

You can add your VOTE to Build mobile to support multiple currencies and/or Add true multi-currency support in Quicken for Web.

First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS for Quicken Mobile by following the simple steps found here on the List of Requests for Quicken Mobile Features and/or the List of Requests for Quicken on the Web Features.

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 3

Hello lukewarmturkey,

Thank you,

Sarah

Quicken Sarah there seems to be some contention around this feature when data files are using the same QID, both in terms privacy and how technically reliable it is.

See this post and onward:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-add-1-or-2-quicken-ids-to-subscri...

Could you please review the following and shed some light on this?

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah ✭✭✭✭ Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9

Hello lukewarmturkey,

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi @smayer97,

Great question!  The referenced thread is discussing Multiple Users whereas this thread and my response is specific to Multiple Data Files connected with the same Quicken ID, accessed by a single User, but I'll try and clarify as best as possible.  My apologies in advance if any of the following information is redundant :)

The Quicken Subscription is tied to the Quicken ID used when purchasing and any data file that is registered to that Quicken ID has the ability to be synced with the Quicken Cloud for access on the Mobile/Web Apps.

If you have multiple data files, all enabled for sync and all registered to the same Quicken ID - you will be presented with a list of every data file enabled for sync after signing into the App.  Selecting the file name will load that specific file and all available data specific to that file (Note, not all account types or features are available in the Mobile/Web apps).

There is no "co-mingling" or "syncing across files" because each file has an internal designation, i.e the File ID and Dataset ID's, which keep the data linked to the correct file and prevents syncing across the files.  

There were reported issues during Windows Beta testing, where the Beta testing file would sync and be visible in the Production versions, but the Mobile Teams have been hard at work to identify the root cause and have implemented a fix for this behavior in R16.14 for QWin 2018/19 subscription versions.  (Note, this fix has not been implemented in QWIN 2017 or 2016 versions as of yet)

To view data in a different file, you would select the different data file name from the list.  This does allow anyone with access to your Quicken ID login credentials the ability to view any and all synced data files registered to that Quicken ID.

While the data is separate, it is accessible if someone has access to your Quicken ID login credentials and chooses to open the file - which as I understand it is the crux of the issue for those who have a Multi-User situation.  Unfortunately, Quicken is designed as a personal, single User license and not intended for use by multiple users, even in the same household, as stated in the Terms of Service agreement, so there are currently no redundancies in place to restrict other Users from being able to view all synced data files registered to the same Quicken ID.  

If the data file is not enabled for sync, it is not accessible on either the Mobile or Web apps and if needed, can be kept private or separate by password protecting the data file on the computer system.

I would also like to confirm that we hear the feedback and requests for Multi-User Support and are reviewing the matter for possible solutions.

Thank you,

Sarah
    edited January 9

Hello lukewarmturkey,

Thank you,

Sarah

Thanks Sarah for a great and extensive explanation. One question and a few points:

Question:
    • was this data contention issue isolated to only the QWin version or also QMac? If both, has this fix been applied to QMac too?
    1. you state that Quicken is a single-user product. BUT 'personal' does not equal 'single-user'. 'Single-user' has at least 2 possible meanings depending on context: a. means only one person can use the software at a time, b. only one user can EVER use the software. Historically, it has always meant the former (a.). BUT the term 'single-user' is not in the text above AND is not defined.
    2. 'Personal' also has at least 2 possible meanings depending on context: a. for single user, or 2. for non-commercial use. Again, 'personal' is not clearly defined.
    3. In pre-subscription releases, license was single household. So what is catching may users off-balance is the emphasis on 'personal' use meaning 'single-user' as 1.b. BUT see 4.
    4. For the most part, 'single-user' vs 'personal' is mostly a moot issue because aside from the bug causing co-mingling of data, the issue is more of can each data file created be used by separate people, as in one household, as with past licenses. That is I think the core of the issue, which then touches on privacy questions...
    5. This is somewhat different than 'multi-user', which again can have several meanings depending on context: a. more than one user can use the same software with the same file, b. more that one user can the same software with different files, c. more than one user can use the same file simultaneously, etc.
    So I think when discussing these terms, we need to make sure that all parties, Quicken and customers, are using the same meaning of the terms.

It seems that Quicken has made a silent shift in the meaning of 'personal' without communicating this that I believe is part of the disconnect in expectations among users, especially long-timers.