Manual match transaction warning for same amount

When I am manually matching a downloaded transaction that comes in 2-5 days after I entered the transaction in Quicken, it warns me:  "These transactions have different amounts. Do you really want to match them to each other? The resulting amount will be xxx" and gives me a choice to Cancel or Match. The transaction is for the same payee and the exact same amount.  I am constantly clicking Match.  This has been as a result of the recent upgrade to v5.9.2. The logic is off here.

Comments

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hello mannyg, appreciate your question.

if you are getting this message, this means that you have the same amount showing up in a different account.

For example, if you have a payment of 100.00 for one payee and then there was a payment for the same payee, it will try to match.

I understand your frustration that this is happening multiple times.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @mannyg, could you clarify: you are trying to *manually* match the downloaded transaction, is that right? So do you have a transaction you entered manually, and one which downloaded, and you're dragging one over the other to match them? Or do you mean something different when you say manually matching a transaction?
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mannygmannyg Member
    edited December 2018
    Follow up ... when I run an update on my accounts and transactions are downloaded, sometimes a  downloaded transaction does not see the manual transaction I entered with a transaction date 0-3 days earlier than the one that came in on the download.  The payee and amount (and sometimes the date) are exactly the same for both transactions ( the manual one I entered and the downloaded one quicken got).  This is normal but seems to happen more frequently when the date of the downloaded transaction is 2-3 days older than the manual transaction I put in.  That is not a problem for me.

What has become a "nuisance" for me is when I drag the downloaded transaction on top of the previously entered transaction, it gives me that warning as I stated above.  The amount IS EXACTLY THE SAME, but the warning says the amount is different.  The warning has never happened when the amounts were the same. This is the 3rd time I have encountered this since the new release of Quicken 2019 and it does not happen during every update.

Just letting you guys know that I've only had about 2-3 unmatched transactions where payee and amount are exactly the same, but the warning says there are not. Next time it happens I will send take screenshots.

Cheers!
    Manny

• HausHaus Member
    edited December 2018
    I have experienced this behavior as well in my version of 2019 Quicken Premier Mac (Version 5.9.2 (Build 59.25153.100 and macOS 10.14.2).

I had entered a transaction manually in an account and when I updated my accounts the downloaded transaction did not match the manual transaction even though data in all fields is the same: Date, Payee, Category, Tag and Payment.

When I drag the downloaded transaction over the manually entered one I get a dialog box stating that the amounts are different, do I really want to do this? and that the resulting amount will be $XX.XX which is the same amount currently in the Payment field.

I have included a screenshot...

Mark

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I just noticed this as well the other day. I don't get many unmatched transactions, so I don't know how long it has been going on. 
  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee
    edited January 2
    Thanks for reporting this and thanks to Jacobs for bringing this to my attention.  If you guys find this type of thing in the future, please make sure to find the post about the new release.  Here's a link to the 5.9 forum post.  Those of us on the development team pay particular attention to that thread looking for possible issues that may have been introduced with the update.  I'll get my team to investigate this.  I think you've provided enough information for my team to investigate it. 
  • Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee
    edited December 2018

Thanks for reporting this and thanks to Jacobs for bringing this to my attention.  If you guys find this type of thing in the future, please make sure to find the post about the new release.  Here's a link to the 5.9 forum post.  Those of us on the development team pay particular attention to that thread looking for possible issues that may have been introduced with the update.  I'll get my team to investigate this.  I think you've provided enough information for my team to investigate it. 

Just to follow up.  I've just tried to reproduce this in my personal account and I wasn't able to do it.  I had a scheduled transaction that actually had an incorrect amount and then I marked it as paid and then changed the amount to be the same as a downloaded transaction.  It worked without popping up the message.  I then changed the date of the manual transaction to be older than the downloaded transaction and I still wasn't able to get the message to appear.  When I changed the amount, it did pop up properly. 

Does this happen every time or just sometimes?  When it happens, is it a regular manual transaction or is it based on a scheduled transaction?  Scheduled transactions, once marked as paid, should work like any regular transaction but one never knows. I'll write up the ticket but if any of you can think of distinguishing features about the transactions that cause the message to pop up erroneously, it would definitely help us diagnose the issue.
  • lhossuslhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1

I have see the OP scenario twice since installing v5.9.1 (notice the version prior to current v5.9.2).

In both cases:
    - A downloaded transaction that should have matched a not-yet-paid scheduled transaction did not match. I. e, this is a routine transaction, the amount is the same, and has always matched in the past.
    - I manually drag one of the should-have-matched transactions on top of the other to match and I get the "different amounts" dialog.

I cannot say it happens all the time. I remember two instances, one of which I just said "huh" and let it match as I was in a hurry.

The second time I submitted a bug report via Report a Problem dialog on Dec 28th around 10AM EST. In this instance, the scheduled transaction was a Verizon bill where the amount was auto-updated by the Bills & Income feature. Perhaps Bills & Income is a factor.

One more note:
    The second time I encountered the "different amounts" dialog, I left the transactions unmatched.
    Then I quit and re-launched Quicken.
    Then I tried dragging one transaction on the other, and this time they were manually matched without the "different amounts" dialog.

(end of memory dump ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • John KeatingJohn Keating Member
    edited January 2

This just happened to me for the first time a few days ago. I haven't been using QM19 long enough to know if it was introduced in the latest version, but this is the first matching I've done with the new version.  I've also attached screenshots and in my case, the scheduled transaction's payee is slightly different than the downloaded transaction. 

I did examine the Inspector windows of each of the transactions before I completed the manual match and didn't notice anything unusual (the amounts were exactly the same). Normally I'd suspect a rounding error but I'm sure the bank data is only two decimal places.

• edited January 14
    I am getting the same error under the same circumstances (trying to match manually entered transaction with downloaded transaction by dragging on on top of the other).

Then, after clicking on Match, the resultant transaction contains an Uncategorized split row of $0:

and when I click on the "minus" button to remove this split row, I get this error:

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    It’s a known issue. For now, you have to just fix it manually. It would be a good idea to use menu Help > Report a Problem to add to the list of those reporting it.
  • edited January 14
    RickO said:

It’s a known issue. For now, you have to just fix it manually. It would be a good idea to use menu Help > Report a Problem to add to the list of those reporting it.

done!
  • mannygmannyg Member
    edited January 14
    This also happened with a download of a payment to my Target credit card account that was linked to the payment transaction in my checking register. I have a recurring payment transaction in my checking account that has a category of "Transfer:[Target]" of $0.00.  When I schedule the payment through my BillPay, I mark the recurring transaction in the checking register as paid and change the amount to the real amount. This also updates the linked transaction in the Target account.  

In this case, I marked the checking account entry paid and changed the amount to be $751.93.  The Target account also updated the payment transaction to $751.93. The downloaded Target transaction did not match the manual transaction in the Target register.  When I dragged the dowloaded transaction over the manual transaction, it popped up the "Match these transactions" warning but the amounts were exactly the same (see attached screenshot).  When I clicked "Match" on the "Match these transactions?" pop-up, it created a split transaction for the amount to the category "Transfer:[Checking]" and with amount and the second transaction with a category of "Uncategorized" and the amount of 0.00.  This occurred in both the checking entry and the linked Target account entry.  When I deleted the uncategorized zero transaction in the splits section, it popped up another error warning:  "Are you sure you want to delete this split row? Deleting the split row will adjust the total amount of this transaction?" I clicked on the button "Delete and Adjust Total" which deleted the split transaction and did not impact any balance.

I have been doing this for years with Qucken Mac.  It never did any of the above.  It always matched the transaction.  I have attached screenshots.

Hopefully this helps you guys out!

Cheers!
    Manny
  • lhossuslhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    Has anyone, when they encountered one of these mis-matching scenarios, tried immediately quitting and re-launching Quicken before proceeding?

You might have to Un-Do an action before quitting Quicken so you can perform the manual match from the beginning after re-launching.

As I posted above, I only had a simple manual mis-match, but the re-launch cleared the problem.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    lhossus said:

Has anyone, when they encountered one of these mis-matching scenarios, tried immediately quitting and re-launching Quicken before proceeding?

You might have to Un-Do an action before quitting Quicken so you can perform the manual match from the beginning after re-launching.

As I posted above, I only had a simple manual mis-match, but the re-launch cleared the problem.

Yes. I had a downloaded transaction that asked about matching (for the same amount, like others.) Relaunching the app allowed it to match without question.
This discussion has been closed.