Subscription Renewal Price

ChrisChris Member ✭✭
edited January 24 in Subscription
Can someone tell me if any discount is offered when renewing a subscription.  I am particularly interested in Win10 Deluxe version.  I noticed the new subscription prices have climbed up a bit.

Hoping for a discount at renewal time.

Thanks

Jim T.

Comments

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Turn of Auto Renew and shop for Quicken Deluxe 2019 on Amazon, Staples, Costco or BJ's.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    Already stopped the renewal. Will check prices elsewhere.  Thanks.
  • Connie BrownConnie Brown Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Already stopped the renewal. Will check prices elsewhere.  Thanks.

Q2018 Deluxe will get you the same as Q2019. So, if you find it for less or with a 2-year subscription, you may want to consider it.
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    Thanks.  I am just curious if Quicken will offer some sort of "loyalty" discount when renewal time rolls around.  Very difficult for me to justify the full cost annually albeit Quicken, Amazon, etc.. 
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1
    James, from Quicken.com, you will pay full price; any discounts you may see mentioned are only for people who don't have a current subscription. We've been told that if you let your subscription lapse, after 30 days, you become eligible for the "new" customer discounts again.

Since most people won't want to be without download services for a month, the better solution is to do as noted above any buy from a retail seller at the best price you can find. The prices change frequently, especially for the most-sold Deluxe.

When you buy a retail copy, you will get an authorization code, which you enter when logged into Quicken.com; it will add to your existing subscription, so you don't need to try to time it down to the last day or two of your current subscription. And as @Connie Brown notes, if you find a retailer selling the old packaging of Quicken 2018, the authorization code gets you the same extension of your subscription as buying a Quicken 2019 box -- it's the auth code, not the year on the package -- that matters any more. 

There is no "loyalty" discount. The prices you see are the prices for a subscription to use Quicken. The only discounts are promotions from Quicken to get new users to try it, and any discounts a retailer like Amazon may be offering.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Thanks.  I am just curious if Quicken will offer some sort of "loyalty" discount when renewal time rolls around.  Very difficult for me to justify the full cost annually albeit Quicken, Amazon, etc.. 

Would be nice.
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    Thank you very much.  So my take away is: at any time I see a cheap/on sale Deluxe version, I should jump on it, as it will add to my existing subscription once I add the code.  Just as long it is the Deluxe version in my case.

I'll be keeping my eyes open at Amazon as they appear to me at least to be cheaper.

I am testing an alternative product that is $40.00 new, $20 on an optional annual update to a newer major version. At no time do I lose Cloud services to my devices whether I upgrade annually or not.  No nags.  Thing is - it's not Quicken!

Thanks Again.
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Thank you very much.  So my take away is: at any time I see a cheap/on sale Deluxe version, I should jump on it, as it will add to my existing subscription once I add the code.  Just as long it is the Deluxe version in my case.

I'll be keeping my eyes open at Amazon as they appear to me at least to be cheaper.

I am testing an alternative product that is $40.00 new, $20 on an optional annual update to a newer major version. At no time do I lose Cloud services to my devices whether I upgrade annually or not.  No nags.  Thing is - it's not Quicken!

Thanks Again.

Correct. Deluxe Q2018/2019.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Thanks Again.

... on an optional annual update to a newer major version.
    There is no such thing anymore under the subscription model. All updates are progressively incremental. You always get any update as long as your subscription has not expired. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Thanks Again.

...and that is the reason I am testing an alternative.  Thanks
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Thanks Again.

You're talking about another product now?
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Thanks Again.

I do not understand... you are testing another product because with Quicken they always give you updates included in your subscription? 

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    I am testing another product that is half the cost and no subscription requirements.

With Quicken, If I do not renew, I lose cloud services, and am stuck with nags.  Not true of the alternative product.

Been using Quicken so long, it's part of me.  However, while I do see improvement increases, it's a hard sell!

edited December 2018
    Chris said:

I am testing another product that is half the cost and no subscription requirements.

With Quicken, If I do not renew, I lose cloud services, and am stuck with nags.  Not true of the alternative product.

Been using Quicken so long, it's part of me.  However, while I do see improvement increases, it's a hard sell!

okay. You are probably not the only one.
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    Deluxe Version on sale today at Amazon.  Wonder if they seen my post.  Nice discount.  Snagged a copy!
  • Hub SmilyHub Smily Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Deluxe Version on sale today at Amazon.  Wonder if they seen my post.  Nice discount.  Snagged a copy!

$27.50 for 14 months.  Great deal!
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Earlier non-subscription versions would be even better.  If I remember correctly, '17 gave me the most headaches! On Amazon, '17 was going for $29.00

I do believe '17 was a different data format as well.  If so, not worth the effort with QIF's export/import.
  • SpotteddogSpotteddog Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    jacobs said:

James, from Quicken.com, you will pay full price; any discounts you may see mentioned are only for people who don't have a current subscription. We've been told that if you let your subscription lapse, after 30 days, you become eligible for the "new" customer discounts again.

Since most people won't want to be without download services for a month, the better solution is to do as noted above any buy from a retail seller at the best price you can find. The prices change frequently, especially for the most-sold Deluxe.

When you buy a retail copy, you will get an authorization code, which you enter when logged into Quicken.com; it will add to your existing subscription, so you don't need to try to time it down to the last day or two of your current subscription. And as @Connie Brown notes, if you find a retailer selling the old packaging of Quicken 2018, the authorization code gets you the same extension of your subscription as buying a Quicken 2019 box -- it's the auth code, not the year on the package -- that matters any more. 

There is no "loyalty" discount. The prices you see are the prices for a subscription to use Quicken. The only discounts are promotions from Quicken to get new users to try it, and any discounts a retailer like Amazon may be offering.

jacobs,

Where on Quicken.com do I enter a new authorization code if I buy a retail copy to extend my subscription? 
    I can't find where to enter it. Thanks
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

QWin 2017 and the new subscription data file (2018/2019) use the exact same format but for QMac, 2017 and 2018/2019 are different.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Chris said:

Thanks. That will help the wife.
    edited January 1
    jacobs said:

Follow the instructions that came with the download or boxed version from the retail store.
    edited January 1
    jacobs said:

Jacobs stated:
     "When you buy a retail copy, you will get an authorization code, which you enter when logged into Quicken.com; it will add to your existing subscription"
    Go to quicken.com and enter the code. Where?

I already have an active  subscription, I am referring to buying retail to extend my subscription by entering the authorization code, not installing new software.
    Thanks
    edited January 1
    jacobs said:

edited January 1
    jacobs said:

Thanks
    edited January 2
    Chris said:

Thanks Again.

They need a credit card number, like any online subscription service. However, you can set your subscription to not auto-renew, and they won't use it. Then you can shop around for the best offer you can find to renew your subscription -- often for less than Quicken's pricing.

If you can do everything you need to manage your finances in Excel, great. But understand that for many people, that's not the case, whether from lack of Excel expertise to Excel not doing many of the things in one place that Quicken can. So if Excel meets your needs, more power to you, and there's no need to continue to post here.
  • mike47408mike47408 Member
    edited January 2
    Chris said:

Thanks Again.

what am i subscribing to? providing a credit card to complete transaction downloads is a new quicken "feature" for me.
    edited January 15
    Chris said:

Thanks Again.

Mike, Quicken always used to be sold a new versions every year, and each such version allowed you to download transactions for three years; after that you needed to buy a new version to continue downloading transactions. That was the old Intuit model of users paying to support the continual work to maintain the processing and infrastructure to interface with 14,000+ financial institutions.

In 2017, Quicken (which is no longer owned by Intuit) switched to a different model of pricing and updating the software. It's now sold as a subscription (also referred to as membership in some places). Under the new model, as long as you pay to maintain a subscription, you get continual updates as bug fixes and new features are ready, instead of them waiting for a big, single, annual release of a new version.

There are at least three key benefits to the company -- and therefore to us as users: (1) they don't have to come up with wiz-bang new features -- often things users weren't interested in, but something they could trumpet as "new!" -- to bring out every fall to try to prompt users to buy the latest version; (2) they can release fixes and features, large and small, to customers as soon as ready, instead of holding things back for an annual fall release; (3) instead of supporting the current year plus the past three years of versions, and having to do security patches and bug fixes to all of them, they will now need to support only one version, the current version that all subscribers get automatically, which drastically cuts support time and enables more development effort to go into new features and fixes rather than maintaining multiple years of versions. (That last benefit won't be fully realized until support for Quicken 2016 and 2017 are discontinued April 2019 and April 2020, respectively.)

The downside to users is that the effective cost per year has gone up for everyone except the minority of users who previously upgraded every year. The cost of a one-year subscription is roughly one-third less than the old cost of a new version -- but if you were a user who purchased every third year in the past, then your cost per year has gone up. There have been many discussions on this forum over the past two years about whether this is a money-grubbing, opportunistic, evil practice by Quicken, or a recognition that they weren't making enough money under the old model to invest properly in improving and maintaining the product.

Software on a subscription basis is not something new that Quicken began. Some software vendors, such as Adobe, switched to this model a number of years ago; some, like Microsoft, offer a choice between subscriptions (which get rolling updates) and traditional licenses (which don't). But Quicken faces unique issues with maintain connectivity to financial institutions which are constantly changing -- if every bank upgraded its login page or process or password requirements just once every two years, they'd still have to deal with about 140 such updates every week just to keep up. Microsoft and Adobe don't have those external forces affecting the operation of their software.

So, when you purchase Quicken today, you're purchasing a subscription for a length of time -- typically one year or two years, although Amazon often has some 14-month subscriptions available. You get the software, updates when they're available, download connectivity, and free access to Quicken support (via phone or chat). If you let your subscription lapse, as long as you've bought any version above the limited Starter Edition, you can continue to use Quicken indefinitely but you loose the ability to download or upload financial transactions (you can enter them manually), and they put an annoying reminder panel on the right side of the screen that you're missing out on a current subscription (which steals space away from the data you can view onscreen).

Well, that's the short version of Quicken as a subscription product. ;)  You can browse this site just searching for subscription to see hundreds of threads discussing various aspects of this change over the past two years.

As mentioned above, when you start a subscription, you need to provide a credit card for your account on Quicken.com, ostensibly so they can bill you when your subscription is up so you will have uninterrupted service. But like a magazine or newspaper subscription, you can choose to set it to not auto-renew, and deal with your subscription ending on your own terms. This is recommended if you're more interested in saving money than set-it-and-forget-it, because you can almost always find less-expensive options to continue your subscription via a retail seller than you can paying the full price from Quicken. 

Hope that helps!
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    Just recv my Amazon Quicken Deluxe CD.  Thought I would test the activation process.  It works, however it seems you must be within the last 6 months of your current subscription.  No problem, just checking.
    edited January 3
    Chris said:

Just recv my Amazon Quicken Deluxe CD.  Thought I would test the activation process.  It works, however it seems you must be within the last 6 months of your current subscription.  No problem, just checking.

Yes, that's to prevent someone from going out and buying, say, five discounted one-year subscriptions on sale and then applying them all in order to have 5 years of prepaid subscription. They've made it to that you can only stack one subscription past your current one, and you can only enter them within 6 months of your current subscription expiring.
This discussion has been closed.