Subscription Renewal Price

Comments

• Connie BrownConnie Brown Member ✭✭
    edited January 3
    Chris said:

Just recv my Amazon Quicken Deluxe CD.  Thought I would test the activation process.  It works, however it seems you must be within the last 6 months of your current subscription.  No problem, just checking.

Note; The activation code expires after a period of time for 2019 and beyond products. 2018 does not have an expiration date.
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 3
    Chris said:

Just recv my Amazon Quicken Deluxe CD.  Thought I would test the activation process.  It works, however it seems you must be within the last 6 months of your current subscription.  No problem, just checking.

Wonder how long the activation code for '19 is valid?
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 3
    Chris said:

I looked at the bottom of rear of the box: 12/31/2020.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3
    Chris said:

Right; you're talking about two different things. One is that activation codes (starting with Quicken 2019 activation codes) have an expiration date which is two years from when it was created. That prevents you from buying, say, five discounted copies today and sitting on them for years, using one of those codes for each of the next five years.

The flip side of that equation is that you can't enter multiple activation codes on your account. So you can't go out and buy 5 discounted copies today and enter them on your account now for the next 5 years.

These two limits work together to limit you to buying your current subscription term, and possibly one you can hold and activate as the first one is winding down; it prevents a user from accumulating more years into the future by buying a bunch of copies now. (Or buying copies now at a discount and reselling them far in the future when the price may be higher or discounts may not be as large.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 3
    Chris said:

I can live with only having one in the oven.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3
    Chris said:

If you time it right, that is you make your purchase within the 6 month window prior to your expiration, you can buy and activate a 1 yr extension now and still have up to 2 x 1 yr extensions "in the oven" that will not expire before you can use them, effectively giving you up to the equivalent of a 3 1/2 yrs extension in total.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 3
    Chris said:

Thanks. Something to think about!
  • Wes1790Wes1790 Member
    edited January 9
    OK, read every word carefully:  What if I buy a 'boxed' version of Quicken [2019] PREMIER [subscription] and install on my computer already running Q2019 DELUXE [subscription]?   When does the upgrade occur?  Immediately or at the end of the DELUXE subscription?  What happens to my time remaining until November 2019?  Do I lose it because I'm UPGRADING to PREMIER?  It sucks that a version upgrade costs about $80 from Quicken when you can buy a new 'box' at Amazon for $48 for 14 months.

• Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8
    Wes1790 said:

OK, read every word carefully:  What if I buy a 'boxed' version of Quicken [2019] PREMIER [subscription] and install on my computer already running Q2019 DELUXE [subscription]?   When does the upgrade occur?  Immediately or at the end of the DELUXE subscription?  What happens to my time remaining until November 2019?  Do I lose it because I'm UPGRADING to PREMIER?  It sucks that a version upgrade costs about $80 from Quicken when you can buy a new 'box' at Amazon for $48 for 14 months.

Correct, Chyvan. But you don't have to wait until within 6 months of expiration to buy the new version. You can buy now, and wait until within 6 months of current expiration to install the new activation code.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8
    Wes1790 said:

Wes1790, why are you upgrading from Quicken Deluxe to Premier? Most of the "features" that are in Premier (and not Deluxe) are useless bells and whistles.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    edited January 8
    Wes1790 said:

Have you read all the complaints here about users trying to switch to the "free" BillPay included in Subscription Quicken Premier?
  • Wes1790Wes1790 Member
    edited January 8
    Just answer my question(s)!  I don't use Bill Pay or the Quicken cloud!  I have not decided to upgrade but the features I am interested in are the Investment/portfolio tracking options and Track the market value of your home*Get a clearer picture of your net worth. Enter your address once and we’ll continually update the estimated market value of your home.  How does that work?
    edited January 8
    Wes1790 said:

Just answer my question(s)!  I don't use Bill Pay or the Quicken cloud!  I have not decided to upgrade but the features I am interested in are the Investment/portfolio tracking options and Track the market value of your home*Get a clearer picture of your net worth. Enter your address once and we’ll continually update the estimated market value of your home.  How does that work?

You might get more/better answers if you worded your posts a little more politely. Don't came here and make demands like "OK, read every word carefully:" and "Just answer my question(s)!". I'm done.
  • Wes1790Wes1790 Member
    edited January 8
    Wes1790 said:

Goodbye!
  • Wes1790Wes1790 Member
    edited January 8
    Thanks, I already do that with Zillow.
    edited January 8
    Wes1790 said:

Thanks, I already do that with Zillow.

Right, but you can create an asset account in Quicken for the value of your house, and it will track it using the Zillow estimate.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
    edited January 8
    Wes1790 said:

Chyvan, All I was doing was confirming that you had heard correctly about not being able to use the code until 6 months before expiration. Geez. And we can let Wes1790 decide what is a good deal or not.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    Wes1790 said:

In summary, you can buy a 2019 code anytime and have up to 2 years to use it (check the expiration on the box or activation code label) or if you can still find 2018 for sale (which is the same product), that code does not expire.

You can only apply a code within 6 months of expiration.

What happens when you upgrade/downgrade/extend is explained here:
    How to extend, upgrade, or downgrade, your Quicken membership

Some tips:
    - with the new 2 yr expiring activation codes, if you are within the 6 month window, you could pre-purchase up to 3 x 1 yr codes, use one now and you still have time to activate the other 2 before they expire, getting the equivalent of about 3 1/2 years extension
    - if you let your subscription expire and wait at least 30 days, you can qualify as a "new" user for many of the promos directly from Quicken that are aimed only at new users.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Thomas RhodesThomas Rhodes Member ✭✭
    edited January 9
    Chris said:

Thank you very much.  So my take away is: at any time I see a cheap/on sale Deluxe version, I should jump on it, as it will add to my existing subscription once I add the code.  Just as long it is the Deluxe version in my case.

I'll be keeping my eyes open at Amazon as they appear to me at least to be cheaper.

I am testing an alternative product that is $40.00 new, $20 on an optional annual update to a newer major version. At no time do I lose Cloud services to my devices whether I upgrade annually or not.  No nags.  Thing is - it's not Quicken!

Thanks Again.

Jacobs, your "explanation" seems to be, in my opinion, just a long apologia for Quicken's embrace of the subscription model. The minimal benefits to the customer flowing from the model are largely illusory and more than offset by its annualized cost and the threat of "no transaction downloads" if the user doesn't fork over more subscription cash, whether or not he or she opted for auto-renew in the first place. Conversely, you minimize the major upside to Quicken in terms of receiving and accounting for upfront cash flow (since the financial accounting rules for subscriptions are much more favorable to software developers than the revenue recognition rules applicable to licensing - but you knew that, right?).

Moreover, the fact is that other developers who are marketing licensed model alternatives to Quicken seem to be getting by just fine without resorting to subscriptions, even though they face the same ongoing costs associated with keeping their product(s) current. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the overall task of keeping a product current, and the associated cost thereof, is common to ALL software developers; Quicken is not unique, and has no real justification for subscriptions, other than revenue recognition and a bump in upfront revenue.

Frankly, I purchased a license to 2016 Premier because (a) I preferred Quicken's feature set at the time; (b) I could rely on a three-year support window for the license I purchased; and (c) as a loyal long-time user, I had confidence in the quality control oversight that was exercised over the product with a corporate adult in the room, i.e., Intuit.

Sadly as mentioned by another poster to this thread below, it is now necessary to evaluate non-subscription alternatives to Quicken's latest offerings. At first glance, those alternatives look to be very compelling options. Since all of them feature seamless import/export of Quicken data files, transitioning to them should be relatively painless. More importantly, I won't need to deal with the incessant Quicken marketing hard sell pop ups every time I try to launch a data file.

Quicken needs to understand that it no longer is the default product in this space; I suspect over time, its subscription sales and other financials will give its management a clue just how poorly it is viewed by previously loyal customers who have voted with their feet and wallets.
  • Wes1790Wes1790 Member
    edited January 9
    Wes1790 said:

Thank you, smayer97; your link gives the most helpful information: 

Purchases from a retailer (not Quicken.com) – a boxed version or download
    1. Purchase the Quicken version you want to use.  If it's not the same version (for example, you have Deluxe but want Premier, or vice versa) Quicken will pro-rate your existing membership and apply it to your expiration date.
    2. Get your activation code.  If you purchased a download of Quicken, you'll receive this in an email; if you purchased a CD/Disc, the activation code will be printed in the box.

This implies that the upgrade is applied instantly, but you are at the mercy of Quicken as to how they PRO-RATE your remaining time.  At least, you don't completely lose your remaining time.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS SUBJECT NOW.  I'VE MADE MY DECISION AND WILL NOT FOLLOW THIS THREAD ANY MORE.

edited January 9
    Wes1790 said:

"PLEASE CLOSE THIS SUBJECT NOW.  I'VE MADE MY DECISION AND WILL NOT FOLLOW THIS THREAD ANY MORE."

That's very funny since you hijacked this thread and now you're asking for it to be closed.
  • Wes1790Wes1790 Member
    edited January 9
    Wes1790 said:

So sorry; I didn't mean the whole THREAD, just my subject.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    Wes1790 said:

You can unfollow a thread — so you don’t get emails about any future posts - abt clicking the blue button at the top of the page.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    So in week, the price of a 14-month subscription has almost doubled at AMZ.  Glad I snagged a cheap copy when I did!

I wonder if Quicken can dictate pricing and sales to its vendors.  Just a thought.
  • Thomas RhodesThomas Rhodes Member ✭✭
    edited January 14
    Just a guess, but if they did so, it would sound like illegal price fixing to me.
This discussion has been closed.