How to create in QMac 2019 two separate and distinct data files; current year vs. prior history tran

Have successfully transferred and imported my 2018 Q2007 data file from old iMac (running SnowLeopard OS 10.6.8) into QMac 2019 and have manually entered all subsequent 2018 transactions (no investment or on-line transactions downloaded).  Will continue to use this file in 2019 for new year transactions.

Now want to create a totally separate QMac 2019 data file containing all prior years history from old iMac.  What is the process to follow?  From brief experimentation, it appears Quicken maintains one master account structure causing history to be merged into current year data structure and file.

Comments

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Start a new quicken file and import into that. But most people say you should keep everything and all the history in one current file. It shouldn’t slow you down or hog your computer. It’s better to have everything together if you want to look up something or compare.
  • DougDoug Member
    edited December 2018
    Confused.  Attempted to create a new file in QMac 2019 with data from a Q2007 data file transferred from old iMac for calendar year 2017.  Used the Import option to import from a Q2007 file and the result ended up being in my current year - 2018 - data file along with all the 2017 accounts being added with a suffix of -2.  Thus, my comment re. "causing history to be merged into current year data structure and file.". I want to keep prior history in separate file to avoid any contamination issues down the road.  Can you provide further help on process????
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Doug said:

Confused.  Attempted to create a new file in QMac 2019 with data from a Q2007 data file transferred from old iMac for calendar year 2017.  Used the Import option to import from a Q2007 file and the result ended up being in my current year - 2018 - data file along with all the 2017 accounts being added with a suffix of -2.  Thus, my comment re. "causing history to be merged into current year data structure and file.". I want to keep prior history in separate file to avoid any contamination issues down the road.  Can you provide further help on process????

Did you start with File > New in Quicken 2019? This will create a separate file.

That said, there's really no reason to keep separate data files for separate years. The modern database in Quicken 2019, unlike the database in Quicken 2007, can handle virtually unlimited transactions. And because it's easy to filter registers and reports by date range, you can limit your view to a current or previous year pretty easily when you don't want the clutter of prior years -- while still keeping all your data in one file for the times you do ant to search through your history. This is the way Quicken Mac is designed to work; I'm sure you can come up with a way of creating your separate files if you really wish, but you may want to re-think the reasons for needing to do the extra work going against the grain.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Doug,

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Please let us know so that we can best help you.
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.