Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

transfer detection no longer working

Using Quicken 2016 for Mac v3.8.3.  Previously, when I would mark a transfer transaction from my checking account with the 'transfer account", say a CC account, Quicken would confirm that it "found' a matching transaction.  I think I inadvertently turned this feature off and I cannot find how to turn it back on again.  I saw some instructions online to go to Preferences | Register, etc., but I think that's for Win, b/c under Preferences on the Mac version, there is no such option.

How do I re-establish that dialogue box confirming the match on the transaction?

parenthetically, it is REALLY disappointing that the Mac version works so differently than the Windows version and many useful features are still not included.  For example, the find function in QWMac only looks *within* the current register, while in the Win version, it looks *across* all accounts, so you can find associated transactions.  I found that to be very useful and am constantly frustrated by not having such ability.  

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    I don't think there's an option to turn this on and off. It may be that it just didn't find a match that it thinks is close enough.

As for searching multiple accounts, just select the group register (eg. Banking, Cash, Credit Card, All Transactions) that contains all the accounts you want to search and enter your search term in the search box.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    RickO said:

I don't think there's an option to turn this on and off. It may be that it just didn't find a match that it thinks is close enough.

As for searching multiple accounts, just select the group register (eg. Banking, Cash, Credit Card, All Transactions) that contains all the accounts you want to search and enter your search term in the search box.

Rick,  thanks for the tip about searching.  that will make things easier.  As far as the matching transaction dialogue, when it was working I would always get a dialogue with an option, "not to show this again".  I did select that, thinking I would be able to reset it back on, and that's what I can't seem to do.  
  • RickO
    edited December 2018
    RickO said:

Hi Joseph... I did a little experiment and found the dialog you're talking about:

Unfortunately, I don't know of and can't find any way to reset warning dialogs that have been asked to not show again. Nor did a Google search help.

I would consider this a very basic function and I believe it's available in the QWin versions. I will ask and see if I can find out anything else.

In the mean time, I can tell you how to dig into the preferences file to fix this. But before I do, how comfortable are you digging around in the settings? If you are, then I will type up all the steps to fix this.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Administrator, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I checked with my team and I don't think there is a way to turn this back on.  This is dumb.  We'll add a preference item to do this.
  • RickO
    edited January 2019

I checked with my team and I don't think there is a way to turn this back on.  This is dumb.  We'll add a preference item to do this.

Thanks Marcus. And Joseph, let me know if you want me to explain how to fix it in the meantime.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

Yes, I'd like to try.  I woild have said I'm fairly savvy with settings, as I used to edit the Win registry all the time.   I'm less experienced & comfortable with MAC OS, but I'm certainly willing to learn more.  So please do lay out the steps...
  • RickO
    edited January 2019

Here you go. If you used to edit the Win registry, you should be able to do this.
    • Quit Quicken.
    • You will need to locate the Quicken preferences file in the user Library folder. The user Library folder is hidden by default. To open it, hold down the option key and click the Go menu in the Finder. You will see a Library item. Click that.
    • Once you're in the Library folder, navigate to the Preferences folder within the Library. Then find the file named "com.quicken.Quicken.plist". 
    • Make a COPY of this file for safe keeping. You can drag it to the desktop with the Option key held down to make this copy.
    • Open the plist file  (the on in the Preferences folder) in a text editor such as TextEdit.
    • Find the this text in the file:
    <key>TransferMatchMessagetSuppress</key>
    <true/>
    • Carefully replace "true" with "false" and save the file.
    • Launch Quicken and test.
    You can test if this worked by creating a non-transfer transaction in one account,, then create a transfer transaction in another account in the same amount pointing back to the first account. Upon saving the latter, you should now get the missing dialog.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

Thanks, RickO -  I finally got around to trying this and it worked just fine.  Thank you very much, and I learned something about macOS plist files too.  The transition from Win to Mac is sometimes frustrating cause some of the things I could do quite easily take quite a bit of time until I find the analogue and the right tools.
This discussion has been closed.