Reconcile Calculation Error

Win 10 running Quicken Deluxe 2019 R16.14 Build 27.1.16.14
Reconcile Report Calculates balances incorrectly.  Adds Cleared Balance to Statement Ending Balance as if both were positive values.  Creates sum total greater than either component.

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Please provide screen capture of the report showing the issue.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • edited January 1
    Suggest you VALIDATE your data file, i.e. File->File Operations->Validate File. 
    This validation will show if there's anything wrong with your data file and what to do about it.

• Ted MooreTed Moore Member ✭✭
    edited January 25
    I have validated my data file and still get the same results. 
    Here is a screen capture:

Thanks for looking at this.  I appreciate your help!
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    Ted Moore said:

From C. D. Bales:

I think Quicken computed the balances correctly: I think you entered the statement ending balance incorrectly.

When you enter the statement ending balance; you should not use a minus sign unless the statement ending balance is signed differently than what is "normal" for the account.

A credit card balance is typically negative, and the Quicken reconcile expects that. If the correct credit card balance is -2640.38, you need to enter 2640.38 as a positive (or unsigned) number in the "New Statement Ending" balance box at the beginning of the reconcile.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 5
    Ted Moore said:

The reconcile set up was done without signing any values.  Here is a screen print:
    Quicken is now Version R17.6
    Thank you!
    edited January 5
    Quicken Deluxe @ R17.6.  Please see entry form in the included screen shot:

edited January 5
    Ted Moore said:

The difference between a negative number and a positive number is always greater than either absolute number.

The negative Cleared Balance on the Reconcile window of a credit card account implies an over payment (as in Quicken thinks the credit card company owes you money).  Note: The Cleared Balance is the total of the reconciled transactions in the register.  If the Cleared Balance is not correct, the implication is that one or more reconciled transactions have been added, removed, or modified.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-12-19-18-previously-reconciled-transactions-...

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    edited January 9
    Ted Moore said:

It looks to me that the sum of all reconciled transactions (both + & -) should be 1259.21.  It seems the cleared balance in Quicken is not right?  The values on the paper statement agree perfectly with the values that show in the credits and charges balances but not the total cleared balance.  Thanks for looking at this.
    edited January 9
    Ted Moore said:

How is the 1425.31 value calculated?
    edited January 9
    Ted Moore said:

As previously stated, the Cleared Balance is the total of the reconciled transactions in the register.  For example, open the Fdy Visa -3912 account, sort the register by the Cleared column (press Ctrl + Shift + N and select Sorting options and choose by Cleared), and scroll to locate the last transaction marked as Reconciled (an R in the Clr column) and examine the running balance (the value the transaction has in the Balance column).

If the calculated Cleared Balance is not correct, the implication is one or more reconciled transactions have been added, modified, or removed since the register was last reconciled.  To determine what has changed, I suggest comparing the running balance of the register with the running balance of the register from a data file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  I find the easiest way to do this is to print the registers to a text file and use a text file comparison tool to identify the differences.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Anthony V. HinesAnthony V. Hines Member
    edited January 25
    Ted Moore said:

I have been using quicken since 2006 on my laptops and there is a MAJOR calculation issue in their registers. It takes me hours to find the calc error and manually fix them to reconcile to my bank statement. it has been happening in the last few versions and i think quicken is just not saying anything because they dont know what it is. These are new just entered transactions. I am so disgusted with them but what can I do? My data is back to 2006? i am not gonna go buy something else. Customer service will hear about this on renewal. 
This discussion has been closed.