I have lost the past 6 years of transactions in 2017 Quicken. HELP!!!

I have lost the past 6 years of transactions in 2017 Quicken Deluxe. Finally resorted to restoring from backup. Once I try to do anything in that file, boom, all transactions since Feb 2013 are gone. That goes for all of my backups, not just my recent ones. I do not have the mobile part. I do not have any institutions linked. I have run disk and file repairs. They show no errors. HELP!!!

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited January 1
    I have run disk and file repairs.
    Windows or Quicken repairs?

Find the Quicken repairs at File->File Operations->Validate 
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser
    edited January 1
    Could the register be sorted or filtered in some way? There is also bug in QW2017 when backing up. It clicks though and changes your register sort. Try doing Ctrl+B to do a backup. See this post (it has screen shots)

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 1
    splasher said:

I have run disk and file repairs.
    Windows or Quicken repairs?

Find the Quicken repairs at File->File Operations->Validate Both
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited January 11
    Run a Banking Transactions report for all accounts and include all dates to verify the status of your transaction entries.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 1
    volvogirl said:

Could the register be sorted or filtered in some way? There is also bug in QW2017 when backing up. It clicks though and changes your register sort. Try doing Ctrl+B to do a backup. See this post (it has screen shots)

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

I've tried that backup method too, and once it backs up alld ata for past 6 years is gone in data file and backup.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 1

Run a Banking Transactions report for all accounts and include all dates to verify the status of your transaction entries.

It shows no transactions since February 27, 2013
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 1

They are there when I first restore from backup, but as soon as I do anything, enter new transaction, run report, attempt reconciliation, backup as different name, copy file, etc, it resorts to all transactions gone since FEb 2013. No error message, just transactions gone. Even reconciled ones.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited January 1
    DawgMa,
    Do I understand you correctly? You are saying that all transactions between Feb 2013 and today have disappeared?

Please do us a favor and show us the entire Quicken window (minus the
    Account Bar) where you determine that "all transactions since Feb 2013
    are gone". Capture an image snapshot of the Quicken window and attach it
    here.
    The
    Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture
    a partial screen image and save it to a file. 
    Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 2

I am attaching 2 pics. Before and after of my checking acct register.

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited January 1
    DawgMa said:

Those pictures contained a bit too much personal info. Can you please try again, but this time crop or obscure the account balance info in the Account Bar?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 1
    DawgMa said:

Thanks! I resubmitted the cropped pics.imageimage
    edited January 1

Make a Windows copy of a backup file that still contains all of your transactions and call it Test.qdf. Then open Quicken by holding the Ctrl key down until it opens with a blank screen and menu bar. From the menu bar, run a super-validate by holding the Ctrl and Shift keys down. Navigate to Test.qdf file and run the super validation.  Check to see if Test.qdf opens, if it does run the File>File Operations>Copy routine with default options assuming the dates shown in the window make sense.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 1
    UKR said:

DawgMa,
    Do I understand you correctly? You are saying that all transactions between Feb 2013 and today have disappeared?

Please do us a favor and show us the entire Quicken window (minus the
    Account Bar) where you determine that "all transactions since Feb 2013
    are gone". Capture an image snapshot of the Quicken window and attach it
    here.
    The
    Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture
    a partial screen image and save it to a file. 
    Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U
    S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

Yes, UKR. All transactions between Feb 2013 and today have disappeared.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 22
    Something I just noticed is everytime I get into one of the files a DAT file shows up in the folder. That's new.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 1

Hi Markus1957. Tried it following your instructions, but a box popped up saying "file could not be copied". Also, just doing that one action caused it to lose all transactions back to Feb 2013.
    edited January 1

"file could not be copied" is a sign of corruption, but one that the validation routines do not repair.  Try the same thing again but this time for the File>File Operations>Copy step, hold Ctrl + Shift keys and choose Ignore File Copy Errors option.  crossing my fingers.........  that option is in 2017 and not new to 2019 product.

Adding this is very weird behavior. Is this a recent Q17 update you are using?  Backups should not behave this way.
    edited January 1

Is it file corruption or program corruption?  I wonder if a QCleanUI un-install and a subsequent re-install and application of the latest 2017 patch would solve it?
    QCleanUI - Clean Uninstall 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

• UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited January 1
    DawgMa said:

What column is the register sorted by?
    It appears to be by Date, but the Date column header does not have the little ^ or v - pointing triangle next to the word Date.
    Click the Date column header once to toggle the sort order by Date.
    Clicking the same column header again toggles between ascending and descending sort order.

• UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited January 1
    DawgMa said:

Something I just noticed is everytime I get into one of the files a DAT file shows up in the folder. That's new.

If you are talking about DAT files like these ... never mind them. Leave them alone. They are needed for diagnosing download problems.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 2
    DawgMa said:

ah, ok
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 2
    DawgMa said:

It is by date. I have scrolled all the way up and down and it is in date order.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 2

I do not have an option to Ignore File Copy Errors. I can't find the purchase proof in order to reinstall Quicken. I have CD but no CD drive. Could still try latest patch. This whole problem started after 12/22. Not sure when hubby last updated.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 2

splasher - Tried the latest patch and it said I was already up to date.
  • DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 2
    DawgMa said:

ah, ok
    edited January 2

You downloaded the manual patch, go back to the same webpage and download the mondo patch, it will run whether Q thinks is at latest or not.

• DawgMaDawgMa Member
    edited January 2

Just got the following messageimage
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 2
    DawgMa said:

Both of those register screenshots indicate they are sorted by Flags, not by date, that may factor into the problem.

If you click the Actions gear above the register and look at sorting options, you will see this.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited January 2
    DawgMa said:

Just for grins ...
    when you got the year 2013 showing at the bottom of the register, click the "Date" column header once and see if that changes anything.
    Because there's no sort-indicator (^ or v) on the Date column, I suspect your register is sorted by something else, possibly the Clr column.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited January 2

In case of Patch installation error "Server file
    failed to load ... Index and length ..."

Please follow
    instructions here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

If the error message is about a file named "wyserver.wys", the
    problem is the Windows User Account name. If your Windows User files are
    located in a folder named,

for example, "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John
    and Doe)

you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name
    that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John". Use the new
    account to install or update Quicken.

edited January 2
    DawgMa said:

The Ending Balance is different between the screenshots and it would not change based on sort.  Something is deleting transactions.

This discussion has been closed.