Cannot add Fidelity NetBenefits 401k account to Quicken 2019

I just bought Quicken 2019 for windows and was able to add all my banking accounts and my Vanguard 401k. However when I try to add my Fidelity Netbenefites or JP Morgan Security accounts it fails without any error code.  

In both cases Quicken asks for the login credentials and then tries to connect but the window closes, no error message and no accounts are added.  

This is very disappointing and I hope there is a solution that someone can help me with.  

Comments

• AndrewAndrew Member
    edited January 1
    So I am on Fidelity NetBenefits and have had few problems over the years.  The FI name is "Fidelity NetBenefits".  The userid (that I choose, so it was a freeform name of my chossing) is the same I use on for the website, the account number (their choise) is the digits in parenthesis AFTER the company name that is shown on my Home Screen on the main NetBenefits webpage.  Hopefully, these items help you in filling out the correct credentials.
  • carlj07carlj07 Member
    edited January 11
    Same problem here.  My company just moved our 401k from Vanguard to Fidelity NetBenefits.  Never had an issue connecting to my Vanguard account, but tried to add my new Fidelity NetBenefits account and I am experiencing the same issue as Seth (above).  Is this a known issue and when can I/we expect a fix?  
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited January 15
    @Seth, @Andrew, Qcarlj07 ... I've got the same question for each of you.  By any chance does your spouse work for the same company and also have a 401k with them?  There's a weird little legal issue that messes up Q connecting to your 401k in this scenario.

Also, again for each of you, what special characters (if any) do you use in either your ID or Password with Fidelity NetBenefits.

Because, there are certain special characters that can't be used because they screw up the communications protocol that Q uses.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • carlj07carlj07 Member
    edited January 11
    No, my spouse does not work for the same company as I do.  She did at one time have a 401k with Fidelity, but that was transferred out years ago after a job change and that account is closed.  

The only special character is the $ in my password to log on to Fidelity NetBenefits - no other special characters.  

edited January 11
    carlj07 said:

No, my spouse does not work for the same company as I do.  She did at one time have a 401k with Fidelity, but that was transferred out years ago after a job change and that account is closed.  

The only special character is the $ in my password to log on to Fidelity NetBenefits - no other special characters.  

@carlj07,
    Well, I'm sorry to hear that ... because your response eliminated all of the usual fixes for the situation.

All that I've got left is to suggest that your review the "Related Conversations" that start next to Seth's original post, AND/OR contact Q Support https://www.quicken.com/support#windows    Scroll to the bottom of that webpage for your Chat and "Talk" options.  Note that "Chat" is interactive typing.

• AndrewAndrew Member
    edited January 11

@Seth, @Andrew, Qcarlj07 ... I've got the same question for each of you.  By any chance does your spouse work for the same company and also have a 401k with them?  There's a weird little legal issue that messes up Q connecting to your 401k in this scenario.

Also, again for each of you, what special characters (if any) do you use in either your ID or Password with Fidelity NetBenefits.

Because, there are certain special characters that can't be used because they screw up the communications protocol that Q uses.

No for the spouse. PW is a combination of upper and lower characters, and numerics. No special characters.
    edited January 11

Thanks for replying.  Unfortunately, the only advice that I've got is that same as I provided to carlj07 2 hours ago.
  • carlj07carlj07 Member
    edited January 11
    Thanks for your suggestions.  I will have to contact Fidelity and/or Quicken next to see what they suggest - will have to do that at a later date when i have time.  Perhaps in the meantime somebody will come across a reason/solution for this issue.  
  • carlj07carlj07 Member
    edited January 15
    Just a follow-up to this issue.  There have been a few instances of similar issues posted in this forum previously over the past 2 years.  It appears the ability to download transactions from Fidelity NetBenefits is a feature the employee's company controls and has nothing to do with Quicken - the employee's company can have Fidelity enable downloads or not (see for  example https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/unable-to-add-fidelity-netbenefits).  So perhaps contacting the company's HR department (or whoever interacts between the employee's company and Fidelity) and bring this to their attention - asking them to have Fidelity enable the download feature.  I will pursue this with my company and if it works, will post an update.  
  • SteveSteve Member
    edited January 15

Hi.  I have been using Quicken for many years and my wife and I both work for the same company with NetBenefits accounts.  I have had _both_ of our accounts in Quicken with no issue.  However...   I have decided to create a new Quicken file for 2019 (why is a whole different thread) and I could not add my wife's accounts: it shows a blank screen when trying to list the accounts it finds.  So, I think I fit your criteria!  I checked the other threads for info on how to resolve and it looks like there is no fix...?  Is this true?? I'm running Q2019. 
  • carlj07carlj07 Member
    edited January 19
    UPDATE - ISSUE SOLVED!  

As stated in my previous post, I contacted my company and they had Fidelity enable the download feature for my company's 401(k) Fidelity NetBenefits website - that took about a week.  Once that occurred, I enabled the Online Services in Quicken for my 401(k) account and Quicken now can download transactions directly from Fidelity into Quicken.  

Apparently the download feature in NetBenefits is only enabled at the request of the company sponsoring the plan.  Prior to having the download feature enabled by my company, there was no link in my NetBenefits account to download transactions.  Once the download links appeared, I was able to set up Quicken's Online Services for my account and everything now works as it should.  

To verify if this is the cause of your issue:  Log onto your NetBenefits account, go to your Transaction History, and if you do NOT see any links to Download Transaction History (QIF or CSV format), then this feature is NOT enabled and Quicken cannot connect to your account.  Contact your company and ask them to have Fidelity enable the download features for their plans account. 
    edited January 19
    carlj07 said:

UPDATE - ISSUE SOLVED!  

As stated in my previous post, I contacted my company and they had Fidelity enable the download feature for my company's 401(k) Fidelity NetBenefits website - that took about a week.  Once that occurred, I enabled the Online Services in Quicken for my 401(k) account and Quicken now can download transactions directly from Fidelity into Quicken.  

Apparently the download feature in NetBenefits is only enabled at the request of the company sponsoring the plan.  Prior to having the download feature enabled by my company, there was no link in my NetBenefits account to download transactions.  Once the download links appeared, I was able to set up Quicken's Online Services for my account and everything now works as it should.  

To verify if this is the cause of your issue:  Log onto your NetBenefits account, go to your Transaction History, and if you do NOT see any links to Download Transaction History (QIF or CSV format), then this feature is NOT enabled and Quicken cannot connect to your account.  Contact your company and ask them to have Fidelity enable the download features for their plans account. 

Thanks for the update.

My former employer, apparently,  had the Download function turned on immediately and for all.  So, I had not previously encountered your situation.
This discussion has been closed.