Trouble backing up my Quicken Data.

I am having trouble backing up my Quicken Data both to Dropbox and a thumb drive. Most of the time I receive an error message: Unable to open source file. Then: Quicken cannot open data file because it is in use by some other application. Please close that application and try again. Then: Unable to re-load file after copy. If I close and reopen Quicken it works ok but will do the same if I try to back up the data again.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1

When you start a
    manual backup process from within Quicken, one of the first things that happens
    is: Quicken closes the data file to ensure that all updates have been written.
    A split second later it opens the file again to start the Backup process.

A third party cloud
    backup product like Dropbox, Carbonite, One Drive, etc. or a NAS backup server
    will use that "file close" command as the trigger to start its own
    backup process ... and that gets in the way of Quicken trying to reopen the file
    for backup ... error "file in use" ...

If you are using any
    of these cloud backup products you need to configure them so as NOT to backup
    your current Quicken data file. Make it use either the Automatic Backup file or
    the Manual Backup file.

Using Carbonite, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. as the Backup
    process

(For this
    discussion, Carbonite is assumed to be the backup product in effect. Replace
    "Carbonite" with the name of your backup tool.

It is also assumed that your Quicken data file is stored in the default (and
    recommended) location

C:\Users\_your_username_here_\Documents\Quicken)

IMHO, you should
    keep Carbonite (or any other third party backup product which you use) away
    from your live Quicken data file. It will interfere with some Quicken
    operations, especially Manual Backup.

Instead, configure
    Carbonite to backup either of these files:

- The backup file created by Quicken Automatic Backup

Or

- The backup file created by Quicken Manual Backup as you close Quicken.

Backup settings in
    Quicken are stored in Edit / Preferences / Backup.

If you choose the
    Automatic Backup file as Carbonite candidate (or even if you don't), activate
    this process and set it to execute every "1" times Quicken closes.
    The Automatic Backup file always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the
    folder which contains your current Quicken data file, usually
    \Documents\Quicken\Backup

If you choose the
    Manual Backup file as Carbonite candidate, create a separate

\Quicken\Carbonite_Backup folder and direct the Manual Backups to go there
    every "1" times Quicken closes. Select the "Add date stamp to
    file name option" so you get multiple backups and not just one that is
    overwritten every time.

For a belts and
    suspenders approach:

Automatic Backups go
    to Carbonite, Manual Backups go to a USB stick or external hard drive.

One can never have
    enough backups of your Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

• Russ AllenRuss Allen Member
    edited January 4

This does not seem to be working for me. The settings on Quicken seem to be accurate, But I need to keep Google Drive and One Drive from trying to copy the Quicken files when I try to Backup. How do I make those changes?
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2

This does not seem to be working for me. The settings on Quicken seem to be accurate, But I need to keep Google Drive and One Drive from trying to copy the Quicken files when I try to Backup. How do I make those changes?

The simplest way to prevent Google Drive and OneDrive from trying to copy the Quicken data file is to maintain the Quicken data file in a folder that is not being maintained by Google Drive or OneDrive.  

An alternative is to pause Google Drive or to pause syncing OneDrive and then resume or resume syncing after completing the Quicken backup.  The options are available off of their respective toolbar icons.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Russ AllenRuss Allen Member
    edited January 2

Thank you / how do I maintain the Quicken data file in a folder that’s not being maintained by Google Drive or One Drive. I do not know how to do that,
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4

Assuming you've configured Google Drive and OneDrive to sync your Documents folder and your Quicken data files are contained in a Quicken folder within your Documents folder, you could exit Quicken and use Windows Explorer to move the Quicken folder out of the Documents folder in to your username folder (up one level). 
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
This discussion has been closed.