Can't start a new Quicken file with only transactions from 12/31/17 forward.

How do I start a new Quicken file with only transactions from 12/31/17 forward? The "Year end copy" function is still showing dates from all the way back to 2013 even though I have specified a date range. I am using the new 2019 H&B for Windows, R.17.5

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2
    YEC will include any old transactions that have not been Reconciled (R) and ALL investment transactions.

You can do a File->File Operations->Copy and it will not follow those restrictions.  Be forewarned though, if non-reconciled transactions are deleted, your next reconcile of an account may not balance as it has in the past since they are accounting the un-reconciled, now deleted, transactions.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• MarkhfxMarkhfx Member
    edited January 2
    Is there a way to selectively choose which accounts are included for the new data file? Over the years I have closed a lot of accounts and no longer require the history for a new file... And if I did need something I could always open up the old one anyway
  • Hub SmilyHub Smily Member
    edited January 2
    Markhfx said:

Is there a way to selectively choose which accounts are included for the new data file? Over the years I have closed a lot of accounts and no longer require the history for a new file... And if I did need something I could always open up the old one anyway

Have you tried as, Splasher mentioned:

FILE > FILE OPERATIONS > COPY

Then in your current data file, just delete the closed account(s) you no longer care to see.

Be aware however that deleting ANY account can "break" any transfers and have them categorized as such. 

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2
    splasher said:

YEC will include any old transactions that have not been Reconciled (R) and ALL investment transactions.

You can do a File->File Operations->Copy and it will not follow those restrictions.  Be forewarned though, if non-reconciled transactions are deleted, your next reconcile of an account may not balance as it has in the past since they are accounting the un-reconciled, now deleted, transactions.

From C. D. Bales;

"YEC will include any old transactions that have not been Reconciled (R) and ALL investment transactions".

And, as a corollary to the above: YEC will not delete any reconciled transactions linked to transactions that YEC can not delete.

So:

A reconciled transaction that is a transfer to/from an unreconciled transaction will not be deleted.

A reconciled non-investment transaction that is a transfer to/from any investment account will not be deleted.

And (from Quicken Help):

"If your file contains invoice/receivable transactions (only in Quicken Home & Business), Quicken retains all unpaid transactions, such as unpaid invoices, as well as invoices created prior to the date you specified but that are linked to payments that fall within the new date range".
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list