Restored "Backup" file has current data.

SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
In need of finding a "lost" transaction I restored a backup file from 10/20/2018 and gave it a new name to distinguish it from my active data file.  When I opened the restored file I was surprised to find ALL of my data in the file including transactions AFTER 10/20/2018 to date 01/04/2019.

This is very strange.  This is with Quicken 2019 Premier, R17.6, Build 27.1.17.6 and the latest update of Windows 10 Pro 64bit. 

How is this happening because there should not be ANY transactions in the restored file after 10/20/2019 unless there is something wrong with the file restoration process.  Anyone have any ideas?  The file validates and super validates just fine....

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    Is the 10/20/2018 date in the file's name or in the file's properties?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    It is in the file name.  I have the option to add the date when I do a daily manual backup.image
    edited January 4
    What do the file properties show for the Created, Modified and Accessed dates?

If you can't tell, I throwing stuff at the wall to see what might stick, since what you have described isn't the way I have ever seen it work.

edited January 4
    The date created and modified are the dates and times that the backup file was originally made.  The only accessed date that is different is the file that I tried to restore.  This is VERY WEIRD and I have NEVER seen it do this before either! 

It kind of proves a maxim that we have developed in my family and that is "We make 'I've NEVER seen that before' possible on a daily basis."  Which is why I am so diligent about backing up everything not just Quicken!
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Do you use Web/Mobile? A sync may have occurred and restored the data from the cloud to the desktop file. The original and the backup are the same file as far as the cloud is concerned so it will sync the files to bring them up to date.
    edited January 4
    Sorry I forgot to add that NO I do not use mobile or sync.  Every other time I have restored a file only the transactions from the backup date and earlier showed up.  Just to double check I looked at that preferences and mobile and sync are still off.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    Fred, have you tried restoring another backup to see if the same data anomaly occurs?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 4
    Yes, and yes it does.
    edited January 4
    Snowman said:

Yes, and yes it does.

Curiouser and curiouser.
    edited January 4
    Snowman said:

Yes, and yes it does.

What happens if you try the restore while disconnected from the internet?

Also, is the recent data that appears to have been added to the restored file have all the edits you made manually or idoes it appear to be just freshly downloaded from the FI?
    edited January 4
    Snowman said:

Yes, and yes it does.

I was going to try the restore disconnected next.

It is definitely NOT information freshly downloaded from the FI's because when the I start Quicken using the restored file all the NEWER data is there, no connection to the FI's were made because there is no delay.
    edited January 11
    No joy.  I disconnected from the internet and tried to restore a different backup file and darned if ALL the data was still there.

Just spitballing but I wonder if this may have something to do with the reconciliation report issue where when you have the "All Transactions" selected it does all transactions from the beginning not just ALL the transactions for the reconciliation period like it used to....  just thinking....
    edited January 4
    Snowman said:

No joy.  I disconnected from the internet and tried to restore a different backup file and darned if ALL the data was still there.

Just spitballing but I wonder if this may have something to do with the reconciliation report issue where when you have the "All Transactions" selected it does all transactions from the beginning not just ALL the transactions for the reconciliation period like it used to....  just thinking....

Somehow in the process, your "restored" file is not being opened and your active file is getting opened. Transactions are not magically appearing in files saved months ago that have not been opened in the intervening time period.  There may be something going awry in the file open call.

I suggest you rename your active file and then do a normal restoration without trying to change the file name. You should see a file as you would expect it in the condition it was last opened/saved.
    edited January 4
    @Snowman

I know from what you wrote that you do not use QMobile/Q-Web, but just for grins, what shows if you go to Q-Web at app.quicken.com, logging as the QID in the above file and select the Fisher2017 cloud file?

Does it show a bunch of nothing?  Doing this does not change if any accounts are synced, it is just a cross-check on the Quicken Cloud Account.

edited January 4
    Snowman said:

That doesn't work either.  I renamed the active file.  Then tried to restore one of the backup files which restored the file to the active file name before I renamed it and.... ALL OF THE DATA is still there.  Contrary to what you said transactions ARE magically appearing OR more likely something has been monkeyed with so that the restore/backup process no longer works as it should.
    edited January 4
    splasher said:

@Snowman

I know from what you wrote that you do not use QMobile/Q-Web, but just for grins, what shows if you go to Q-Web at app.quicken.com, logging as the QID in the above file and select the Fisher2017 cloud file?

Does it show a bunch of nothing?  Doing this does not change if any accounts are synced, it is just a cross-check on the Quicken Cloud Account.

Tried what you suggested and this is what I got...

• Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    It certainly does sound like the active file is being opened instead of a backup.

Do you have another computer where you can install Quicken, move a backup over there, and then open the backup?
    edited January 4
    Snowman said:

OK, then try renaming a COPY of one of the backups to "test.qdf", then navigate to it and open it. That bypasses the whole restore process which is nothing more than an open and rename anyway.

Adding- I just restored a backup after manually entering a transaction to my active file. The restore functioned as expected.  This was in Beta 20.3 but it is supposed to be the same as R17.
    edited January 4
    No that does not work either.  I tried to restore a backup on my laptop with Quicken R17.6.  First I deleted the old active file (which had not been accessed since 10-31-2018 on the laptop.  During the restore process Quicken updated the program on the laptop from 2018 to the most current version, I then restored and all of the data was there new and old,  this is very weird.... 

How it did it I haven't a clue the old file was deleted and the opening of the restored file was instantaneous, no time for it to look elsewhere....
    edited January 5
    splasher said:

@Snowman

That is a bunch of nothing, confirms QCA is not the source.

edited January 4
    The File menu has a Show this file on my computer , does it point to the file you think it should?

edited January 4
    Yes, it does.  There were no other Quicken data files on the laptop, just the restored file...
    edited January 12
    I tried another potential solution this morning.  I renamed my active file, downloaded and installed the Mondo R17.6 patch, closed Quicken and reopened Quicken,  restored my backup file from 10/14/2018, closed Quicken and then restarted Quicken.   All of the transactions are there with the following anomalies.

Prior to the restore all accounts had been reconciled thru December.  After the restoration all of the transactions are there BUT the reconciliations only go to September and early October in other words prior to 10/14/2018. 

But wait there is more.  Upon closer inspection I noticed the following:

My main M & T checking account is the only account (out of 43 accounts) showing all of the transactions, my other bank accounts (including M&T accounts) and credit card accounts only show transactions prior to 10/14/2018 as it should.

So might I assume that my main M & T checking account is somehow corrupted even though validate and super validate show no issues.  I say this because it was my main checking account that "lost" one transaction from 10/13/2018 and that happened at some point between the November 2018 and December 2018 reconciliation of the main checking account because it did not come to light until my December 2018 reconciliation was off, the opening balance was off and therefore the whole reconciliation was toast.  Reentering the mission transaction restored the balance but I lost the category that the transaction had bee assigned to thus my attempts to restore a backup to find out the correct category that the deposit was to be  assigned to.

If so how to I fix it so that it doesn't cause havoc with my other accounts that the main checking account has had transfers etc. with?

edited January 5
    Snowman said:

I tried another potential solution this morning.  I renamed my active file, downloaded and installed the Mondo R17.6 patch, closed Quicken and reopened Quicken,  restored my backup file from 10/14/2018, closed Quicken and then restarted Quicken.   All of the transactions are there with the following anomalies.

Prior to the restore all accounts had been reconciled thru December.  After the restoration all of the transactions are there BUT the reconciliations only go to September and early October in other words prior to 10/14/2018. 

My main M & T checking account is the only account (out of 43 accounts) showing all of the transactions, my other bank accounts (including M&T accounts) and credit card accounts only show transactions prior to 10/14/2018 as it should.

So might I assume that my main M & T checking account is somehow corrupted even though validate and super validate show no issues.  I say this because it was my main checking account that "lost" one transaction from 10/13/2018 and that happened at some point between the November 2018 and December 2018 reconciliation of the main checking account because it did not come to light until my December 2018 reconciliation was off, the opening balance was off and therefore the whole reconciliation was toast.  Reentering the mission transaction restored the balance but I lost the category that the transaction had bee assigned to thus my attempts to restore a backup to find out the correct category that the deposit was to be  assigned to.

If so how to I fix it so that it doesn't cause havoc with my other accounts that the main checking account has had transfers etc. with?

You could start a new M&T account, moving all of the pre-1/13/2018 transactions from the old to the new account and then download from M&T the post-10/13/2018 transactions.  You will want to check to make sure that the transfers all got their categories changed to the new account, but that should happen automatically with the move.

I must say Snowman, you did come up with an intriguing problem.  ;-)

• Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    "So might I assume that my main M & T checking account is somehow
    corrupted even though validate and super validate show no issues."

I generally haven't been a big believer in "magic", but I might have to change my mind.  I can't conceive how a backup file from October, 2018 can somehow instantly contain all the transactions from the time of the backup to the present, and in only one Account.  And, apparently, this seems to be happening in all your backed up files?  And, apparently, that 10/14/18 backup file which should include the missing 10/13/18 transaction is also missing the 10/13/18 transaction in that one Account? 

You mentioned you had an active file on the laptop which went to 10/31/18 and that you deleted it for one of your experiments.  Assuming that you didn't empty the Windows trashcan can you un-delete that file, computer not connected to the internet, and see how that 10/13/18 transaction was classified?

(Side note:  Here's where keeping paper - or PDF - copies of monthly financial statements can save your bacon, even when "magic happens".  Comparing an October spending report prepared today to your October spending report prepared last year should pop out the missing transaction's Category.)
    edited January 5
    Snowman said:

I will try this next week.  I had to "redo" this account once before 3 years ago when it started to do some strange things (not like this time).  When I moved the transactions back then the transfers did not happen automatically and I had to go through one by one and reconnect them.
    edited January 5
    Tom Young said:

"So might I assume that my main M & T checking account is somehow
    corrupted even though validate and super validate show no issues."

I generally haven't been a big believer in "magic", but I might have to change my mind.  I can't conceive how a backup file from October, 2018 can somehow instantly contain all the transactions from the time of the backup to the present, and in only one Account.  And, apparently, this seems to be happening in all your backed up files?  And, apparently, that 10/14/18 backup file which should include the missing 10/13/18 transaction is also missing the 10/13/18 transaction in that one Account? 

You mentioned you had an active file on the laptop which went to 10/31/18 and that you deleted it for one of your experiments.  Assuming that you didn't empty the Windows trashcan can you un-delete that file, computer not connected to the internet, and see how that 10/13/18 transaction was classified?

(Side note:  Here's where keeping paper - or PDF - copies of monthly financial statements can save your bacon, even when "magic happens".  Comparing an October spending report prepared today to your October spending report prepared last year should pop out the missing transaction's Category.)

I had all the pdf statements for the accounts but that did not have where the deposit came from just the date and the amount but I was able to get the "category" from by emailing my contact at M & T.

The other problem was that the category assigned in the 10/14/2018 backup was wrong, so that was no help in the end.

I had this happen about two years ago to the same account but it exhibited other strange symptoms back then and I had create a new account and copy it as Splasher has suggested.
    However back then I had to redo ALL of the transfers manually which was quite a chore.

It would be nice if the validate process would pick this up but it is what it is...
    edited January 5
    Snowman said:

You indicated that you ran validate/super-validate, but did you try File>File Operations>Copy on the file? That's been teasing out some corruption recently.
    edited January 5
    Snowman said:

I just did a right-click Move in a test file moving everything in Acct A to Acct C, the A->B transfers now show as C->B as expected.  You are sure that you did a Move and not a Copy?  Right-click Cut & Paste also works. 

edited January 5
    Snowman said:

Hmmm, that was three years ago and it is entirely possible that I did a copy and not a move.  I will first make a copy of my data file and work on that.  Thanks for the heads-up!