Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

One Step Update summary issue

When I run an update for stock quotes, the summary does not appear.  However when I download bank data, it pops up with a message that stock quote updates were not complete:
This has been going on for many months and recently Citigroup has appeared up to 5 times on the list.  Stock quotes for TD Bank and CIBC are always up to date even though the error message suggests that they're not.  Initially only CIBC was listed but TD Bank and Citigroup appeared later.  If this this an old error, how can I clear it?  And why would Citigroup generate an error when I no longer download quotes for that stock?  I checked "Show this window only when there are errors" to avoid seeing it every time I run an update but because of this issue it keeps appearing.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Is it possible you have Citigroup listed multiple times in your Security List? Different names, same ticker? One entry hidden, another not?

Please answer these question, then do the following ...

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to
    ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and, for older versions, possibly the
    required Intuit ID to Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 18.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 17.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

-  2018 ... upgrades to 2019 when
    installing the R 14.23 patch released 10/8/2018 or any later patch

- 2019 ... Release R 17.6 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... all users should have been upgraded to 2018 already

- 2018 ... upgrades to 2019 when installing the R 15.24 patch or any later
    patch

- 2019 ... Release R 15.24 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already:

Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch
    file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when
    done with the above and try Quicken again.

2) Validate

Validate your
    Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019
    repeat the Copy process, but press and hold SHIFT and CTRL as you click File /
    File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file
    copy?" click "Yes".  Note:
    This may cause some data loss.

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

• Chris SowerbyChris Sowerby Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the detailed recommendations.  Sorry for not providing software details in my original post:

I verified there are no duplicate entries for Citigroup in my security list.  BTW my last transaction for that stock was in 2008 when I sold all my holdings - that's why I don't update the price any more.

The file copy process did fail the first time so I had to bypass errors.  Even though the latest update was already installed, I followed the procedure and applied the appropriate Mondo Patch. Strangely, the installation app seemed to see a different version installed:

Also the references to Quicken 2018 seem a bit outdated.  There was another one at the end of the installation process:

I had previously tried validating my file without any improvement in my issue but I did it again as you specified.  The first time I ran the super-validation I didn't delete the investment pricing history but the error message for missing quotes persisted so I did the super-validation again with that option selected to see if that would help.  Unfortunately it didn't improve things - I still have the same error message.  Interestingly throughout the process, the number of entries for Citigroup kept fluctuating between 2 and 5.  

File validation only identified two problems:

"Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "BCE", security "BCE Inc", on 11/07/2006 that might be missing.
    ---
    Corrected 2 Bought or Shares Added transactions that were incorrectly categorized as a realized gain. If any of these should have been for a Cover Short Sale, you should modify them.". 

Neither of these was related to the securities causing my initial problem.  Strangely, Quicken said it had corrected the second error but it showed up on the log each time I ran the validation.  The affected account was closed in 2012.

I tried selecting Citigroup for quote downloads and got the latest month of data but it was still on the "missing quotes" list.  I de-selected downloads and ran another update, no change (Citigroup now appearing 5 times, and the status shown in the Download Quotes checkbox is consistent with the selection I made in the security list):

So, the bottom line is that I still have the same issue - any further suggestions very welcome!
    For what it's worth, when this first started happening (I'm guessing that was back in 2017), only CIBC was on the list.  Citigroup and TD joined later.

• q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It is very likely you do have securities checked to get downloaded that are not getting downloaded.  The 73/77 or similar number is likely right.  The differential (4) is likely right.  But Quicken is NOT pointing to the correct securities that are being missed. It is a problem going back 5 or more years I believe.  

I address this by calling up a portfolio view with current prices included, typically for all the securities/account I own.  I "Update Prices" so that I know I am only getting Quciken-provided prices and not downloaded prices from the brokerages.  Some of those securities I know will not have up-to-date prices - bonds, MF before closing NAV established, 'private' or 'fake' securities, etc.  If I group by Security Type, those securities will be separated off.  I can then scan the 'Stock' securities to see whch ones do NOT have current prices (the little 'clock face' next to the Quote/Price info.  I can usually then spot the problem securities.  You may also need to set the preference setting to include closed lots. 

The other step is to look at your security list, scan down those that are checked to Download quotes, and see if those make sense.

You may find one or more 'C__' tickers that are a problem; the 'C' pointer may be close.  Or you may not. 

The types of problems I have found have included "Bonds" where for some reason Quicken seemed to think I wanted prices downloaded, securities affected by mergers (no longer exist), and securities that somewhere changed their tickers.  

Bottom Line:  Don't waste your time looking at the securities Quicken is pointing at.  
  • Chris SowerbyChris Sowerby Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Great tip - I tried deactivating downloads for the securities I no longer hold, and the problem disappeared!  I had continued to track these so I could see how they performed after I disposed of them, and it looks like several subsequently became defunct.  I then reinstated downloads for all the securities on that list that didn't show a clock symbol, and everything is still good.  I inadvertently re-checked two securities with names starting with "T" that don't have any current price data available, and Quicken once again said that it was missing quotes for CIBC and TD Bank - clearly those names float to the top for some reason.  Once I unchecked the two invalid securities, the errors cleared again.

Unfortunately I have now made quite a few edits in my database since I copied it, so I'll just have to live with the new one which doesn't have complete price histories any more.
This discussion has been closed.