Duplicate Data Bases

Quicken is used on 2 Windows computers in our household and there is an external hard drive that holds the data files so both computers use the same file.  I just noticed that  my husband is using a data file that is on his C drive.  I'm not sure how he did that.  How do I sync that file to the external one so that we don't lose the work he has done and we will be using one file again?  I know how to connect his computer to the G drive but he's categorized a lot of purchases on his C drive file.  Can I sync that one to the G file and then delete his C file?

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    You can't "sync" or otherwise merge two versions of a data file that have gone their separate ways. There is no program to do that. Sorry.

One of you will have to figure out what was changed and manually apply all the changes to the file on G.

Do note however, that Quicken does NOT support a data file on a networked drive and does not have functions to allow multi-user shared data file access. You're on thin ice with what you're doing. Please be sure to have plenty of data file backups stored on a drive other than G, in case something happens and the active data file gets clobbered.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Once sorted, your best option for sharing a single data file is to use backup from one PC and restore to another.  This is not a simultaneous usage approach however, you still must adhere to single use at a time.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • edited January 9
    UKR said:

You can't "sync" or otherwise merge two versions of a data file that have gone their separate ways. There is no program to do that. Sorry.

One of you will have to figure out what was changed and manually apply all the changes to the file on G.

Do note however, that Quicken does NOT support a data file on a networked drive and does not have functions to allow multi-user shared data file access. You're on thin ice with what you're doing. Please be sure to have plenty of data file backups stored on a drive other than G, in case something happens and the active data file gets clobbered.

I've had it set up this way for 10 years at least.  How else can there be 2 people using the same data base from 2 computers?  Seems like a really good way to do it.  
  • edited January 9
    UKR said:

We are never in the data base working at the same time.   And my G drive has 2 hard drives that are both carrying the data so I feel that that's an extra step to keeping it safe.  If one fails, I've still got the other one.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    Going forward, I suggest maintaining Quicken and the data file on only one of the computers and using a remote desktop client to access Quicken from the other computer.  Note: The data file should be maintained on a local drive and data file backups should be preserved in remote external storage.

In case you're not familiar with remote desktop, there are a variety of free choices available.  My preference when accessing a remote Windows machine is to use the Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-deskto...
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
This discussion has been closed.