Home Quicken for Windows All Things Canadian (Windows)

Unable to permanently delete certain categories

Chris SowerbyChris Sowerby Member ✭✭
Certain employment-related categories do not apply to me and never will, so I deleted them.  Some time later, they will re-appear without any action on my part.  This is particularly annoying because every time I run a related report, Quicken then asks if I want to include them.  To avoid this, I have to re-save every affected report with those categories excluded.  The only workaround is to hide those categories so they don't show up in the list, but I'd like to know why they can't just be removed once and for all. 

It's been a while since I looked but I believe the categories are Employer Benefit, Profit Sharing , Holiday:Holiday, Sick Pay:Sick Pay, Vacation:Vacation.  In fact each of the last 3 appears twice in the category list,
but they're not shown as subcategories of my income or my spouse's.

I've tried more than once but the result is always the same.  Sure would be nice to get rid of these superfluous categories without having them come back again!

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    By design, it should be impossible to have duplicate categories with the same name or categories with a ":"(colon) as part of the category name.

Validate

Validate your
    Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    exact procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019
    repeat the Copy process, but press and hold SHIFT and CTRL as you click File /
    File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file
    copy?" click "Yes".  Note:
    This may cause some data loss.

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

- If that doesn't
    resolve the issue, call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support,
      please use this link only:

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support. Phone
      support is only available during posted business hours.
    • If you are eligible for
      Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your
      subscription to Quicken 2018 Premier or above) call the number that can be
      found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to
      "Quicken Premium Support" 
      when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • Other links or phone numbers
      found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts here in the Community,
      may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own
      risk.
    • Unlike other so-called
      "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free
      for all currently supported versions.

• Chris SowerbyChris Sowerby Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Already did that entire procedure because of another problem, and it didn't make any difference for this one. I could try deleting the categories again from the validated file and see if they do reappear later.
  • Chris SowerbyChris Sowerby Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It occurred to me that perhaps the deleted categories were being reintroduced by a monthly scheduled paycheque deposit, even if it didn't include any amounts in those categories.  I have now restructured that deposit as a simple income reminder since it is pension income with very few deductions.  I deleted all the unwanted categories once more and will wait to see if they come back.
This discussion has been closed.