CRITICAL: upgrade to R 17.6 has corrupted my Quicken file

chiefgeek157chiefgeek157 Member ✭✭
I ran Quicken just now and it auto-updated to R17.6. After the upgrade, Quicken opened my regular Quicken file. As part of that process I observed the following dialogs pop up:
  1. "Validating file..."
  2. "Validation completed"
  3. "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is damaged. Choose File menu > Restore Backup File to restore a previous version of the data file."
  4. "Unable to open the selected file."
As you might expect, restoring a backup does not help. I have the original file (which has likely been converted to a newer schema already) and the automatically created backup in the BACKUP folder. I have not tried to open the backup directly (don't want to corrupt it).

I cannot open ANY existing file or previous backup that I have tried thus far. Note that I either restore the backups or copy them first so I don't risk corrupting the backups.

I tried creating a new empty file, and that worked just fine. I can quit Quicken and open that file again without issues.

Note that I have opened this quicken file, with whatever the previous release of Quicken was before 17.6, just yesterday (1/5/2019), so I do not believe it is a problem with my Quicken file.

As it stands now I am totally stuck. I cannot open any existing files or backups, and I have errors that indicate that my file is corrupted. Not a happy camper at the moment.

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    The updates don’t change the file structure. You need to restore from a backup. Your original backup also does not change and will remain safe.

How did R17.6 update initiate for you? I have ALWAYS been in Quicken and notified of an update. This is the first time I launched Quicken only to see the Windows security notice if I wanted to allow this program to make changes. I selected yes and it started the installation. Very disconcerting!
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6
    Have you rebooted Windows since the R 17.6 Quicken update? If no, please do so now and then try Quicken again.
    You may have to restore your Quicken data file from a
    Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if
    necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not
    exhibit these symptoms.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Using the Restore function does not in any way alter a backup file.
  • DennisDennis Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    It could be the update itself didn't go completely error free. Download and run the Mondo Patch and then try it again.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription...
  • chiefgeek157chiefgeek157 Member ✭✭
    edited January 27
    Thanks for the tips. I believe the problem is resolved as well as can be hoped, though not without data loss. Here is what I did just now:
    1. Downloaded R17.6 for Windows from the link just above.
    2. Rebooted.
    3. Installed the R17.6 update over the top of my existing Quicken installation.
    4. Rebooted again for good measure.
    5. Tried to open my main Quicken file.
    I experienced exactly the same results as the original post above. Also as noted above, the update began running as soon as I started Quicken, so I had no chance to perform a manual OneStep Update and backup before applying the update.

Here are the other things I tried:
    1. I went back sequentially to every backup file in reverse order.
    2. The most recent was created during the upgrade the morning of 1/6/2018 at 11:58 AM when I started Quicken. I restored the backup but it failed to load exactly as above. It was named "xxxxxxxxx-2019-01-06.AM11.58-R-16.14.QDF-backup", though the file mod time is 1/2/2019, which I am assuming is because it is a copy of the file and retains the mod time of the original (1/2/2019 is probably the last time I ran Quicken before 1/6).
    3. The next previous was dated 12/27/2018, so not toooo awfully old (10 days). I was able to restore this file successfully and perform a OneStep Update.
    So no I have a file that is 10 days old and who knows how many transaction I have to reconcile again. To be fair, disaster averted, but still not great confidence in future updates being safe without a sync and backup first.

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7

Thanks for the tips. I believe the problem is resolved as well as can be hoped, though not without data loss. Here is what I did just now:

2. Rebooted.
    I experienced exactly the same results as the original post above. Also as noted above, the update began running as soon as I started Quicken, so I had no chance to perform a manual OneStep Update and backup before applying the update.

2. The most recent was created during the upgrade the morning of 1/6/2018 at 11:58 AM when I started Quicken. I restored the backup but it failed to load exactly as above. It was named "xxxxxxxxx-2019-01-06.AM11.58-R-16.14.QDF-backup", though the file mod time is 1/2/2019, which I am assuming is because it is a copy of the file and retains the mod time of the original (1/2/2019 is probably the last time I ran Quicken before 1/6).
    3. The next previous was dated 12/27/2018, so not toooo awfully old (10 days). I was able to restore this file successfully and perform a OneStep Update.
    So no I have a file that is 10 days old and who knows how many transaction I have to reconcile again. To be fair, disaster averted, but still not great confidence in future updates being safe without a sync and backup first.

Food for thought... it's better to have too many backups than not enough.  Consider changing to more frequent for both system and manual.  That gives you better recovery options going forward.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8

2. Rebooted.

Enable Windows User Access Control and you will be able to decline patch installations.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list