Cannot Download Transactions from Chase Bank

Using Quicken 2019 on Win 7 PC although I've been having this problem since v2018. Whenever I try to download or import my transactions from Chase, Quicken freezes on screen and can only be closed thru Task Manager. No error message, just freezes. I have tried at least 20 suggestions from the forum, have been online with 3 Chase Reps who assure me it's not on their end, so I'm stuck. Started this just to make the techs at Quicken aware that Chase customers are also having problems.

Comments

• Bill TalbottBill Talbott Member
    edited January 28
    I have Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 running on Windows 7 fully current.  When I do an automatic or a manual download of my Chase Sapphire Reserve account transactions, certain transactions do not show up in Quicken.  They are always Travel charges which Chase gives me a corresponding credit for.  The travel charges never show up.  Sometimes the credit doesn't show up either.  All my other Chase Sapphire Reserve account transactions download with no problem.  Please help.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hey Bill,

Sorry, you haven't received a response.

How long has this been happening?

Are you using Express Web Connect or Direct Connect?

To determine which connection type is being used:
    • Choose the Tools menu in the upper left then select Account List.  Click Edit next to your account, then choose the Online Services tab at the top.
    Have you tried running a validate and repair?

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Let us know!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • Bill TalbottBill Talbott Member
    edited January 2
    Hi Tyka,
       Thanks for your reply.  I am using Express Web Connect.  Chase charges $9.99 per month for Direct Connect.  I use Express Web Connect on all my accounts, and this is the only one that has problems.  It seems to have something to do with the fact that Chase gives me a credit for certain travel expenses.  Somehow, the combination of the charge and the credit confuses the system, so one (or sometimes both) of the transactions are not reported.  The phenomenon is so predictable that I assume it is happening to anyone with a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card account.  
       I did try running a validate and repair.  It did not find any problems with my Chase Sapphire account.  
  • SteveNSteveN Member
    edited January 5
    I'd like to add a similar comment.  I just did a download today and my Chase Sapphire account is only showing transactions for 2019.  The weird thing is that my wife has a Chase card and I have a separate one for work and neither of those seem to be affected (and coincidentally, neither of them is a Sapphire card).
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8
    What connection method are you using, Direct Connect or Express Web Connect?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    I have 3 credit cards from Chase, and I've had no problem downloading from Chase into those accounts.

SO, it doesn't seem to be a "Quicken problem" as you allege.

BUT, since you've failed to describe the problem in sufficient detail, there's no much help that can be provided.

SO,
    • What type of account is having the problem? 
    • When you do TOOLS, Account List, what does it say in the TRANSACTIONS DOWNLOAD column adjacent to the account(s)?
    • What error messages or codes are you getting?
    • HOW are you doing those downloads, One Step Update ... or are you manually initiating the download from your Chase account(s)?
    • Are you synching to a cloud account during these downloads (Q Mobile App, or Q Web App)?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • icemikeicemike Member
    edited January 8
    mshiggins said:

What connection method are you using, Direct Connect or Express Web Connect?

Direct
  • icemikeicemike Member
    edited January 8

I have 3 credit cards from Chase, and I've had no problem downloading from Chase into those accounts.

BUT, since you've failed to describe the problem in sufficient detail, there's no much help that can be provided.

SO,

• When you do TOOLS, Account List, what does it say in the TRANSACTIONS DOWNLOAD column adjacent to the account(s)?
    • HOW are you doing those downloads, One Step Update ... or are you manually initiating the download from your Chase account(s)?
    • Are you synching to a cloud account during these downloads (Q Mobile App, or Q Web App)?
    Sorry, not sure about what info was needed

What type of account is having the problem?
    >Both Checking & Savings accounts.

When you do TOOLS, Account List, what does it say in the TRANSACTIONS DOWNLOAD column adjacent to the account(s)?
    >Under "Last Download" = Not Available

What error messages or codes are you getting?
    >No Error Codes or Messages of any kind, just freezes.

HOW are you doing those downloads, One Step Update ... or are you manually initiating the download from your Chase account(s)?
    >Initiating from Chase, have tried "Open" and "Download then Import" methods.

Are you synching to a cloud account during these downloads (Q Mobile App, or Q Web App)
    >No Cloud sync, only from .QDF file on hard drive.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11

SO,

Hello icemike,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you are experiencing difficulties downloading transactions from Chase Bank.

To ensure I'm fully understanding the steps you are taking, when attempting to download transactions from Chase Bank into Quicken - you are logging directly into Chase's website and downloading your transaction activity into a Web Connect (.QFX) file that is then opened in Quicken and should import the new transactions - is that correct?

If so, please open Quicken and go to the Tools menu at the top and open the "Account List".  In the Account List window, please click the "Edit" button to the right of first Chase Bank account.  The Account Details window will open and please select the middle tab for "Online Service".

Is there a "Set up now" button or a "Deactivate" button showing?
    If "deactivate" is showing, what connection method is listed?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • icemikeicemike Member
    edited January 13

SO,

Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much for your response.

The "Set Up Now" button is showing. I only do .QFX downloads from within Chase's website and in the past with v17, "setup" was not necessary. Once Chase activated my account, downloads ran perfectly. It was only after upgrading to v18 that .QFX downloads started "freezing" Quicken.

Mike
  • edited January 26

Good Evening;
        I do not have any account with Chase Bank. Please check to see if you have the right person.   Willy

No error messages, just not downloading.  Called Chase and was told it was a Quicken problem so as a test downloaded to Excel and it did download to Excel so it appears to be a Quicken 2016 Home and Business problem.  The last successful download was January 14, 2019 and there's 5 transactions since then.
  • edited January 27

SO,

I am following this thread,
    what has been the result?, my screen is not freezing, but I set the date range
    thru chase, (trying both chrome and firefox, as per chase rep,  and have
    tried different date ranges, in case there was a max range) initiated the download,
    saved the file, went to quicken, imported the file and nothing imports past a
    certain date, it will go back to 10/15/2018, and I can't get any data before
    that, even though there is a large volume of transactions to import.  I
    also, tried the update route thru quicken, and no change in results. 
    Please assist...... kim
  • sgh112sgh112 Member
    edited January 28
    I am having a similar problem with my Chase credit cards. I have looked at the QFX file that is being downloaded, and it contains multiple transactions, but Quicken is recognizing one (or fewer) transactions in the download. This problem has only been happening in the last couple of weeks.

I am using Quicken 2017 Home and Office on a Windows 10 machine.
  • edcsafe1edcsafe1 Member
    edited January 31
    I have a Chase Credit Card and I regularly download QFX files.  Since loading R18.6, the importing of downloaded transactions is broken.  Once I have the QFX file, I can view all the transactions in the QFX file using a text editor, but when I execute the file Quicken only imports one (1) transaction.  If I download another QFX file and run it, it imports another one (1) transaction.  Can this be fixed ASAP?   I would be happy to help test any fixes.  Windows Quicken 2017 Deluxe Build 26.1.18.6 (Version R18.6).  Thanks, Ed
  • JayLoJayLo Member
    After 2 days with Quicken support, to no solution, trying this forum.
    Download a QFX file from chase bank. My standard process. QFX file is good, open with a text reader and it has all the data. Import into account, nothing shows up and no error message.
    Have deactivated and reactivated re-linked acct, run repairs per support, nothing. Have created a new Quicken file and imported, same problem. Have tried auto update same problem Only happens with Chase files. As expected, Chase points to Quicken as the problem.

• Same issue
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From your description, it sounds like you are going to the bank website and downloading from there into Quicken. This is an obsolete method if you are using a current version of Quicken.  If you look at the Account List, you should see Direct Connect for Chase bank.  This means you can perform and Update Now from the Chase CC register and update within Quicken. No download and import necessary.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • JayLoJayLo Member
    Thanks GeoffG
    When I Direct Connect the program creates new accounts and will not allow updating existing accounts
    When you deactivated and reactivated, I believe you inadvertently selected "add". You need to link to your "existing" accounts from the selector screen.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • I know this isn't a Quicken question exactly, but I have been having the same problem, and cannot activate Direct Connect access on the Chase website.  When I follow the instructions on Chase's website, I end up on a blank page with an endlessly spinning blue circle.  Has anyone had any success activating Direct Connect access through the Chase website?
  • JayLoJayLo Member
    unfortunately, I do not have the option to use existing accounts. The system gives me new accounts to "add" without the ability to select current existing....
    @davelk I have two Chase CC accounts using DC without issue.  You say "Has anyone had any success activating Direct Connect access through the Chase website", are you trying to setup on Chase or in Quicken? You don't need to setup on Chase EXCEPT to respond to an authorization prompt after you initiate the connection.
    @JayLo What do/did you see when you attempted? It's not real evident, but there is a dropdown that should say "add,link or ignore". It defaults to add.
  • sfmldsfmld Member
    I am having the same issue!! HELP!!
  • I am having this same problem with the CHASE credit card QFX file.  I download the QFX file from the the Chase website every month.  And I have been able to process and balance with no problem.  This month it only downloaded the first transaction on the file.  However when I open the the file with the text editor I can see all of the other transactions - over 50. 

I just updated to the latest Quicken version 5.10.1 before I tried the download.  I'm not sure if that is part of the problem.  But I am definitely stuck right now.  I cannot move forward with reconciling this CHASE account.  

Additional note.  I also have accounts with BofA bank that I handle in the exact same way.  I download the QFX file from their website.  I had NO trouble with the BofA QFX files.  Only with the CHASE QFX file.  I am not sure if something changed with Quicken or with Chase.  But something has changed.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    Just a note - with different users in the same discussion -
    please indicate if you are using Quicken WIN or MAC -
    You can update your forum Profile
    here --> https://community.quicken.com/profile/edit/
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • I am using Quicken for MAC.  And I have figured out what the problem is for me.

The problem is with the CHASE QFX file.  I did a comparison of my current chase QFX file from this month against my old chase QFX file from last month.  I noticed that the FITID field on the current chase file has the word "NONE" for every transaction.  And the FITID field on the old chase QFX file has a unique number (ie., "018123024692168363100535452350").  for each transaction.

I checked the quicken help to find out how the FITID field is used.  This is what I found:
    ----------------------

The requirements for FITIDs are:

1. FITIDs can be a maximum of 255 characters long (OFX requirement). 
      Note: Intuit strongly recommends using FITIDs of 32 characters or less. See below for complete information.
    2. FITIDs need to be persistent for the lifetime of the transaction. If a customer downloads the same transaction multiple times, then this transaction always has the same FITID value.
    3. FITIDs need to be unique for each transaction within the same account. Quicken filters out all transactions that contain duplicate FITIDs.
    ----------------------

So I then went into my current QFX file and I changed the FITD field to a unique number for each of my transactions.  And then I tried the import.  ALL of my transactions imported to Quicken with no problem.  

I will be contacting CHASE as soon as I can to let them know about the problem.  Good luck!  I hope this helps!!!
  • Thanks so much! This did the trick. I might write a quickie python script that replaces each "NONE" value with a unique id like the timestamp until Chase.com has a permanent fix.
  • RolandoZ,
    Thank you SO much for this fix. I was going crazy. I had to change the FITD on over 250 transactions -- major pain. But better than typing in all the transactions by hand like in the old days. I'm running Quicken on Windows and never had this problem with Chase downloads before. 
  • That's awesome!  I'm so glad this temporary fix is helping.

Yes this Chase problem is brand new - only in the last 2-3 weeks.  It used to work fine. 

Yes, I also agree that changing the FITID to a unique number is much easier than manually entering all of the Chase transaction details into Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.